The Afternoon Mixed

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

The Afternoon Mixed

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:27 pm

Spent a happy day yesterday running half an operating session and filming how a typical Afternoon Mixed service runs on the PLR

I hope you find it as enjoyable to watch as I did making it.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: The Afternoon Mixed

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks for sharing Rik, a most enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:04 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:41 pm Thanks for sharing Rik, a most enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.
Thanks Peter. Hopefully, almost as good as the afternoon I spent filming it .... :D

Rik
------------------------

Puddlejumper
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Puddlejumper » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:48 pm

Rill isn’t Rick, a thoroughly enjoyable 10 mins. Thank you for sharing :thumbup:
Doug

Hopelessly bodging stuff into some sort of semblance of a railway up in the frozen wasteland of County Durham.
16mm(ish) scale NG on 32mm track

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Very good indeed, thanks Rik!

I'd say it was so good that it brought a tear to my eye, but I think that's the onions I was chopping as I watched - I'm supposed to be cooking dinner...

I'm very impressed that the line's looking and running so well so early in the year. The stretch by the stream is looking particularly good - I think that may well be my favourite part of any garden railway...

All the best,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:07 pm

The scene from 2:15, amazing.

I should lend you my Silver Lady Rik so you can make a video of a live steamer around your line!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:37 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:07 pm I should lend you my Silver Lady Rik so you can make a video of a live steamer around your line!
I was thinking about that - it would be fun to try to recreate the same moves and schedule with live steam...

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:59 pm

Really like how, once again, you manage to show such a consistent, self-contained universe, with it all plausibly shot on a human scale (and from eye level). Is the railway on raised beds, or are you lying at full stretch on the ground, squinting at the view finder / LCD screen? Or sitting comfortably with the laptop and a gin and tonic, watching it remotely? (It’s why I end up with so many overhead and long shots).

Even the greenery is to scale in that shot by the stream (and I haven’t mentioned voiceovers). Terrific.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:20 pm

BertieB wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:59 pm Really like how, once again, you manage to show such a consistent, self-contained universe, with it all plausibly shot on a human scale (and from eye level). Is the railway on raised beds, or are you lying at full stretch on the ground, squinting at the view finder / LCD screen? Or sitting comfortably with the laptop and a gin and tonic, watching it remotely? (It’s why I end up with so many overhead and long shots).

Even the greenery is to scale in that shot by the stream (and I haven’t mentioned voiceovers). Terrific.
Thanks
I mount the video camera on a Gorilla Pod (or rather a cheaper Chinese clone of one) and then angle the screen on the camera upwards. Saves having to lie on the floor. I'm still using old technology (ie a video camera), rather than a smart phone. I do have a mobile phone but it ain't very smart....

Rik
------------------------

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:58 pm

Good one Rik, I like all the growth specially on the track bed and around the stream. Glad you enjoyed yourself, which is the point of it all.
Grant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:59 am

Thanks Rik, I'm envious as always!

I did enjoy seeing all your various constructions in situ in the background as they would be seen in 'real life' rather than when they are the foucus of an article. The weathered castle mellows into the background beautifully now and the brewery adds scenic depth even though just a fleeting glimpse, etc.
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:14 am

Rik,

love the way the plant growth goes all the way to the stream looks very natural (which of course it is) but impressed with how you managed it.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:23 am

BertieB wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:59 pm Really like how, once again, you manage to show such a consistent, self-contained universe
Aha! You've hit the nail on the head!

Would it be wrong to mention the Isle of Sodor in this context???

I agree with Philip too about what effective backgrounds the buildings make, just right.

Cheers,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:57 am

Thanks guys. I'm glad you like the scenery. Mostly it's achieved by happenstance rather than careful planning. Things get planted and if they survive they stay (until they get too large), otherwise by natural selection, they weed themselves out.

Just after filming the stream shot, I needed to clean the pump filter as the flow was diminished to a trickle. So I hoiked it out from the sump and got rid of the debris. I sank it into the sump, switched on and water squirted everywhere. The hose had split in the most inaccessible place.i think, because the weather was so cold, it had gone brittle. I'm gonna have to dismantle the lower part of the stream to replace the hose.

I was intending to get a shot of the train passing the mill ......Ho hummm, part of life's rich tapestry I suppose. :?

Rik
------------------------

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:52 pm

After a difficult and trying day it was a pleasure to sit with a rum and ginger and watch the bucolic railway activity on The Afternoon Mixed. Cheered me up immensely. Thankyou.

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:55 am

Great video Rik. I loved watching the loco thread through the undergrowth at about 2.20 especially its very hard to tell its a model!
Jake