Wonderful G Scale garden railway

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Wonderful G Scale garden railway

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:06 pm

I know G Scale is not to everyone's taste on this forum, but I really admire the landscaping and planting on this layout. It's based on the RhB in Switzerland (you'll recognise a couple of familiar landmarks) and is located in Canada.

To my mind well worth watching into at least half way (when he does a reverse trip) ......

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Wonderful G Scale garden railway

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:26 pm

We are any scale, any gauge :thumbup:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:45 pm

I have watched this before on You-tube and it is mesmerising. The landscape is truly wonderful with little set-pieces and cameos, I like the skateboarder with plaster cast on his leg and one arm in a sling!
It seems to be vast with most of it out of sight of the operator, so I'm guessing it is filmed from the cab and relayed to the control to see where the train is?
I wouldn't want that much maintenance to do myself, it must be a team effort, unless the owner pays for it to be kept in good order.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:59 pm

Actually, it's not as enormous as it first appears. It doubles back on itself quite a few times.

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:29 pm

Not seen that view before, I see what you mean about overall size now...... still a lot of maintenance, mostly with difficult access. Perhaps I'm just looking at the worst case scenario?
Lots to like though.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:24 am

Like Peter, I have seen this before on Youtube and yes it is a truly wonderful and beautiful line. You can imagine riding through some real life scenery and having the time of your life. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Even if it's 45mm.. :lol: :lol: Seriously, I like any gauge or scale, but it's 32mm for
me, every time.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:50 pm

That's wonderful, thanks for posting it!

You're quite right, the landscaping and detailing is astonishing, as is the level of maintenance. If you were to make a similar film of my line it'd take about 90 seconds and reveal just how much is untidy and unfinished - I'm in awe! I'd love to take my Regner and a train of balcony carriages for a trundle...

Having watched that, and the second one, Youtube offered me another cab ride of a Swiss-inspired garden railway. This one couldn't be more different, but it's still worth a watch I think. It starts off as a fairly typical garden line tootling about a slightly overgrown back garden, but wait until you get to 2:29... Unless you suffer from vertigo that is, in which case bail out earlier! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERhAuv3DAHE

Not terribly scenic, but even if the landscaping's not 100% Swiss (are they Alpine Strawberries?!) the climb is. It's realism, but not in a rivets and weathering kind of way...

Cheers,

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:09 pm

Just got around to watching it, all I can say is, "Wow! I wish..."
Still as others have said I wouldn't want the job of maintenance.
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:22 pm

Andrew wrote: ↑Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:50 pm ... Youtube offered me another cab ride of a Swiss-inspired garden railway. This one couldn't be more different, but it's still worth a watch I think. It starts off as a fairly typical garden line tootling about a slightly overgrown back garden, but wait until you get to 2:29... Unless you suffer from vertigo that is, in which case bail out earlier! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERhAuv3DAHE

Not terribly scenic, but even if the landscaping's not 100% Swiss (are they Alpine Strawberries?!) the climb is. It's realism, but not in a rivets and weathering kind of way...

Cheers,

Andrew.
Huh. Lawn needs cutting... :lol: But seriously, very impressive civil engineering required to achieve those changes in level, but maintaining that line and keeping it clear for operation must be a nightmare - no wonder he doesn't have time time to cut the lawn! :)
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:03 am

Lonsdaler wrote: ↑Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:22 pm Huh. Lawn needs cutting... :lol: But seriously, very impressive civil engineering required to achieve those changes in level, but maintaining that line and keeping it clear for operation must be a nightmare - no wonder he doesn't have time time to cut the lawn! :)
I assume it's track powered so I can only imagine what track cleaning must be like.
Nice crop of wild strawberries towards the end......πŸ€—

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:05 am

Just got my stomach back after watching that Andrew. Those that say they have a garden that is too uneven for a line should watch this...

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:41 pm

Those trees are absolutely fantastic! In fact all the planting is really well managed. :mrgreen:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"