Semi-scale BR: Strictly Bulleid*

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Andrew

Re: Semi-scale BR: Strictly Bulleid*

Post by Andrew » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:54 pm

BertieB wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:11 pm Should it be cannibalised to make something else? Ooo-er!

I imagine, judging by the width of the locomotive to the track, it must be loosely Gauge 1, which would be too small for me. But we'll need to get some dimensions!
Yes, I wondered if it was too small - could it be the basis of a B Scale "Manor", Churchward Mogul, or "small Prairie"??? All lovely, but the tapered boilers could be a pain...

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Semi-scale BR: Strictly Bulleid*

Post by BertieB » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:55 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:54 pm "...I wondered if it was too small"
I’ve just been Googling: as you say, Hornby’s site says Gauge 1 but Lionel (the US manufacturer) appear to suggest on their (hopelessly ambiguous) website that it’s 1:24 ‘scale’ though they won't actually admit to what the gauge might be. I read elsewhere that they’ve sold it in the US in two gauges(!), 45mm and 55mm. Gosh!

Trouble is, there aren't any toy shops anymore (at least round here) where you could go and measure it. But just look at all those rivets! And I can't help but notice (I do it too) that Hornby have been crafty in their choice of photograph (as you posted). Profile pictures online show a slightly awkward front end with fairly dodgy leading wheels - offering just the excuse one needs to get out the wallet, a razor saw and start doing something provocative to it... (not quite yet though)