Semi-scale BR: Strictly Bulleid*

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Semi-scale BR: Strictly Bulleid*

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:04 am

Don't get me wrong Bert, I do like music and your videos are brilliant, but with all the programs on the TV now that has music that it seems to try and make what is being shown more dramatic or meaningful doesn't in my opinion work. There are loads of people who are also in the same frame of mind. The BBC are getting so many complaints, has are other companies.

Don't let me detract from how you produce your videos Bert, if music is what you want, then carry on mate. I just like seeing your trains on the videos which are always brilliant. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Maybe turn the sound down a little..... :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:36 am

I'd missed this before, lovely video, thanks. I particularly enjoyed the banked goods train featuring both locos. And, for me, the music and sound effects work well...

Your locos reminded me of a letter I saw in an old magazine, possibly a Garden Railway World from 30-ish years ago, where the writer submitted a photo of a Mamod he'd modified to look "as if Bulleid had bought it for his grandson". It had a tender, air-smoothed casing and Malachite Green livery with yellow stripes... I may have said it before, but I reckon an N or U class mogul would look great in "B Scale"...

Anyway, a belated thanks for the video,

Andrew.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:52 pm

Andrew wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:36 am ...I reckon an N or U class mogul would look great...
Thank you. Absolutely.

I did have a go at a sort of, ‘generic’, distantly Southern inspired, mogul a few years ago, though I really ought to have tried a bit harder – most of the effort went into the smoke deflectors! But it looks OK trundling round the garden...

Based on a useful off-cut of 68mm guttering downpipe. I was after a ‘substantial’ looking locomotive
Based on a useful off-cut of 68mm guttering downpipe. I was after a ‘substantial’ looking locomotive
SR_Mogul_1.jpg (56.3 KiB) Viewed 8004 times

There’s the Schools class, too - which I’ve always thought actually looks (especially in profile) like a full-size toy train, if you know what I mean.

Plan from Maunsell Locomotive Society
Plan from Maunsell Locomotive Society
Schools_plan_4.jpg (26.52 KiB) Viewed 8004 times

Round topped firebox, parallel boiler, four enormous driving wheels and lots of ‘space’. Sourcing an appropriate motor block (and / or wheels) a bit of a challenge though.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:47 pm

Nice! Especially the smoke deflectors...

Yes, the Schools is a great idea - would you consider tender drive to be cheating?! Playmobil Wild West loco?

Cheers,

Andrew.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:28 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:47 pm ...would you consider tender drive to be cheating?
No, I certainly wouldn’t. That’s a neat idea. I even have a suitable motor block. Hmmm...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:39 pm

Excellent - just start with the smoke deflectors and everything will fall into place!

Actually, is it "Repton" that ran without them recently? Looks all wrong to me...

Anyway, happy building!

Andrew.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:37 pm

BertieB wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:52 pm
Andrew wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:36 am ...I reckon an N or U class mogul would look great...

There’s the Schools class, too - which I’ve always thought actually looks (especially in profile) like a full-size toy train, if you know what I mean.
Very impressed with your Southern Mogul. Captures the spirit of it nicely. The N is probably my favourite standard guage steam loco.
I always thought that the Schools class looked not quite right but you've put your finger on it precisely.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:16 am

She does look a beauty Bert... :thumbright: :thumbright:

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Semi-scale BR: YouTube trailer thumbnail

Post by BertieB » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:02 pm

I changed the YouTube thumbnail for the ‘channel trailer’ today, to something more literal and obvious, just to see if it makes any difference to the number of viewings.

Not so much on this forum obviously, where everyone is presumed to be interested in garden railways but out there on YouTube, who knows? The internet is, like, weird…

(It's on the first page of this thread, or: https://youtu.be/wDrd4SwZHEM )

It’s no longer a video about historic station signage – but toy trains running round the back garden
It’s no longer a video about historic station signage – but toy trains running round the back garden
Dodgy_totem_plus_2.png (88.93 KiB) Viewed 6676 times

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:59 pm

Well, that'll teach me... It's a slight decrease in viewings per month.

I'll try the cat now.

cat_thumbnail_1.png
cat_thumbnail_1.png (112.7 KiB) Viewed 6405 times

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:57 pm

Oh dear. Dropped by a further 25 per cent!

Back to historic station signage I guess. Still, I expect it’s Nothing To Do With The Thumbnail. It’s been up for some time and everyone who’s interested has seen it...
Last edited by BertieB on Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:29 pm

Always keen to see new developments on your line (or from your workshop).

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:05 pm

BertieB wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:57 pm everyone who’s interested has seen it...
I somehow hadn't - but I have now! I'd watched lots of the videos before (through this forum), but hadn't visited the site, which I think is fantastic, refreshingly different from so many other railway websites. I must give mine an update, haven't for years...

By the way, I guess you've seen that Hornby have moved up a scale or two - would this be anywhere close to "B" scale??? It runs on 45mm track, can't find any dimensions though. The price doesn't look too bad?

See: https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/lionel-rem ... press.html

Cheers,

Andrew.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:32 pm

invicta280 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:29 pm "Always keen to see new developments on your line..."
That’s very kind of you. Thanks. I’m afraid I seem to be getting increasingly swamped with grown up responsibilities right now, you know – work, kids, endless DIY home maintenance horror... But my notebook is filling up with ridiculous garden railway notions to pursue. And boxes of foam-board and plasticard have been delivered. Cheers!

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:11 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:05 pm "...I guess you've seen that Hornby have moved up a scale or two..."
And thanks very much for your take on the website. Like the videos, not to be taken at all seriously – but fun to do. I think.

My last 'YouTube Thumbnail' posting may have been clumsily worded and appeared a bit snotty (I've subsequently edited it), which wasn’t intended... It’s all rather beside the point but the weirdly inconsistent and surprising YouTube and website data can be nerdily fascinating: how long viewers can put up with which video; favoured stuff; what OS and browsers; grotty mobiles or Mac Pros; location (Austria! India! Cheam!); how many are (probably) viewing at work; and so on.

I didn’t know about the Hornby Harry Potter set. Strewth! I’m a bit thrown. What size will it be? Will it make scratch-built GWR locomotives pointless? Should it be cannibalised to make something else? Ooo-er!

I imagine, judging by the width of the locomotive to the track, it must be loosely Gauge 1, which would be too small for me. But we'll need to get some dimensions!

Cheers. And thanks for letting me know.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:54 pm

BertieB wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:11 pm Should it be cannibalised to make something else? Ooo-er!

I imagine, judging by the width of the locomotive to the track, it must be loosely Gauge 1, which would be too small for me. But we'll need to get some dimensions!
Yes, I wondered if it was too small - could it be the basis of a B Scale "Manor", Churchward Mogul, or "small Prairie"??? All lovely, but the tapered boilers could be a pain...

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:55 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:54 pm "...I wondered if it was too small"
I’ve just been Googling: as you say, Hornby’s site says Gauge 1 but Lionel (the US manufacturer) appear to suggest on their (hopelessly ambiguous) website that it’s 1:24 ‘scale’ though they won't actually admit to what the gauge might be. I read elsewhere that they’ve sold it in the US in two gauges(!), 45mm and 55mm. Gosh!

Trouble is, there aren't any toy shops anymore (at least round here) where you could go and measure it. But just look at all those rivets! And I can't help but notice (I do it too) that Hornby have been crafty in their choice of photograph (as you posted). Profile pictures online show a slightly awkward front end with fairly dodgy leading wheels - offering just the excuse one needs to get out the wallet, a razor saw and start doing something provocative to it... (not quite yet though)