Tyn-y-coed (1993)

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Dragonfly
New User
New User

Tyn-y-coed (1993)

Post by Dragonfly » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:32 am

Evening all,

So over recent years I've occasionally had a scour of the net to find anything about a little railway place I used to go to as a child, named Tyn-y-coed, in Blaenau Ffestiniog. Every search has come up utterly dry; no photos, no videos, no memory of its existence at all. But I know I'm not imagining it as I have a VHS tape with it on. About seven years ago I made a digital conversion of this video, which didn't come out great, especially with the sound distorting in tone (due to the video speeding up and slowing down), but I haven't yet re-attempted it (I don't think I even still have the equipment), so I've uploaded the video to Youtube as it is for anyone interested.

YOUTUBE VIDEO

Tyn-y-coed was located here in Blaenau Ffestiniog, in the former slate miners' hospital. It consisted of:
- a 7 1/4 inch gauge end-to-end track along the front wall by the road
- a 5 inch gauge track (the main attraction) running along from a shed and ticket office, along the side of the house, and following a balloon loop around the garden
- a 16mm (SM45 / G scale) garden railway
- a few animals (rabbits, at least)
- and maybe a tea rooms

The video dates from 1993, and mentions that the place had been open for six years at that point. As I recall, it didn't stay open very long after the video, as the owner (Graham Lamb) passed away; certainly by 2003 all signs of its existence had been obliterated. So I'd estimate it was open from 1987 to around 1995.

Does anyone else remember this place? It was only a little place but it was really nice; I certainly have fond memories, and it's a shame it's apparently all been forgotten.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tyn-y-coed (1993)

Post by ge_rik » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:40 pm

Hi
Although a regular visitor to N Wales, this place passed me by. Very interesting and such a shame it's no longer around.
A while though since I've seen a model station called Phurcombe Hall ......

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:30 pm

Derek Wiggins with others built a layout to display Heritage stock at the Association National Garden Show which was named Phurcombe hall in honour of Graham Lamb this would have been around 8 years ago. I cannot tell you much about it as I was busy with Help and Advice.
I do remember reading something about Graham's set up in Wales but cannot remember where and the name Tyn y coed doesn't ring a bell.

Don

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:24 pm

The ride on steamer at the start is possibly a Maxitrak Ruby?

Maybe they have records of selling the loco.