First steam run of 2019 - where does the time go??

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
planty
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

First steam run of 2019 - where does the time go??

Post by planty » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:05 pm

Due to a busy early summer and poor weather when a spare weekend occurred, yesterday the diesel ran to clear the track for the first time in 2019. Then today was the first run of the steam engine this year!!

There's a clue at about 1m40 ish that continuity buffs will spot that indicates that some shots were done in a second take and spliced in. See if you can spot it!
--
The Methley Joint Railway - http://www.jasonplant.com/Pages/Railway.aspx

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: First steam run of 2019 - where does the time go??

Post by pandsrowe » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:56 am

I understand what you say as I am in a similar position wondering where the time has gone, here we are almost into autumn and I haven't run a single train so far this year! However I do have to do something about that very quickly as I have a visit from some old friends this weekend who are keen to see something running. I noticed that some of your track is sandwiched between fences and sheds and the gap looks to be only slightly wider than your loco, how did you manage to lay the track and more importantly how do you get in that space for maintenance, like keeping the ivy under control?
Phil

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:25 pm

Nice video. An interesting line you have managed to squeeze between various buildings. That must require very competent track laying in awkward spots. I would like to see more.

Don

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:41 pm

Nice video, I didn't spot the continuity error. As others have said your line does thread through some narrow gaps (who mentioned kinetic envelope?) and I bet there are a few places you are praying there are no derailments or you run out of steam! That said your line is nicely landscaped, pity you haven't had more chances to enjoy it.
Dave Miller
currently building the 5" gauge Circle Line

planty
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by planty » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:14 pm

DonW wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:25 pm Nice video. An interesting line you have managed to squeeze between various buildings. That must require very competent track laying in awkward spots. I would like to see more.

Don
Plenty of trial and error Don, the curve around one shed is a trap for leaves and tree debris so needs cleaning regularly. If I have time that’s a part I’d like to reroute to make maintenance a little easier. I’ll post some pics at some point of the various ways I’ve supported the track, so workers really well other not so much.
--

planty
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by planty » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:21 pm

idlemarvel wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:41 pm Nice video, I didn't spot the continuity error. As others have said your line does thread through some narrow gaps (who mentioned kinetic envelope?) and I bet there are a few places you are praying there are no derailments or you run out of steam! That said your line is nicely landscaped, pity you haven't had more chances to enjoy it.
If you look again around 1m 40 as the loco finishes the climb up and turns, on the grass you’ll spot the two wagons that a few seconds later the loco pulls across the bridge :D Basically the gradient is too steep for the loco to pull anything up (have thought about fitting a cog and rack system like the snowdon mountain railway.

And yes there are one or two places I mutter things to myself if I get a derailment :D
--