Jeanne's Day Out

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Jeanne's Day Out

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:32 pm

Jeanne Brunell is Lady's Maid to Lady Wynford Tollemache at Peckforton Castle. She has one day off a week. Here we follow her travels on the Peckforton Light Railway in August 1932...

Hope you enjoy...

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Jeanne's Day Out

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:46 pm

Nice idea with the camera inside the coaches!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:39 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:46 pm Nice idea with the camera inside the coaches!
Thanks Tom. I'm always trying to find something different.

Rik
------------------------

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:47 pm

I did enjoy that. I am sure it makes the line seen larger. Good fun.

Don

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:16 pm

Shows off the leaded lights in the carriages, and I like the brake squeal on the railbus too. :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:30 pm

Another Rik masterpiece, that was so well produced it gave the PLR a life, not simply somewhere to run trains, but a journey with a start point and a destination, just like the real thing, and all done in period too. Superb!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Jeanne's Day

Post by BertieB » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:36 pm

Terrific. Very elegantly done, a proper narrative and avoiding repetitive, unnecessary shots. Love the stuff from within the compartment(s).

Have you considered replacing the subtitles with a voice-over?

After all, you have a story to tell rather than, if you like, merely captioning a sequence of individual shots. It could work well with the existing soundtrack and (more?) music. You might be able to say a bit more - and it would help out the visuals too. Really.

You’ll just need to practise in your best, agreeably mellifluous, appropriate regional accent!
Last edited by BertieB on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:59 pm

Hi Rik,

Well that was a new twist. I loved it! It gives a very different and very intersting perspective. The view was extremely 'scale'.

Your line continues to inspire me.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Jeanne's Day

Post by ge_rik » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:06 am

BertieB wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:36 pm Terrific. Very elegantly done, a proper narrative and avoiding repetitive, unnecessary shots. Love the stuff from within the compartment(s).

Have you considered replacing the subtitles with a voice-over?

After all, you have a story to tell rather than, if you like, merely captioning a sequence of individual shots. It could work well with the existing soundtrack and (more?) music. You might be able to say a bit more - and it would help out the visuals too. Really.

You’ll just need to practise in your best, agreeably mellifluous, appropriate regional accent!
Hi
I have used voice over on a small number of videos. i'm in two minds about it. My thinking at the moment is that it's ok for documentary style videos, eg when presenting information or viewpoints, but for more creative content (sorry, that sounds pompous but not sure how else to describe it), I sort of assume the audience want to hear ambient sounds even if the chuffs are a bit electronicky at times. I used to put an underlying music track in some videos but got an adverse reaction from a few individuals. I suspect most railway enthusiasts prefer purely railway related soundtracks....

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:15 am

I think in your case Rik that narrating would be fine.

In the videos where you do speak I enjoyed as you have a calm and concise way of explaining things.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:48 am

Shots through the carriage window are just jaw-droppingly amazing.

More please!

From photos and videos I know your railway to be impressively detailed and naturalistic, it's always a pleasure to see, but the effect when viewed as a passenger inside the moving train is extraordinary - it really shows off to full effect how well your projects combine in creating an outstandingly authentic railway atmosphere in miniature.

(The narrative is brilliant too, and I will take another look just to admire your railcars, once I have my breath back from the in-carriage footage.)

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:16 pm

Rather than a narrative you could add more sound effects. Door slamming at station stops, whistle blowing to set off, station announcements ( Beeston Beston Alight here for the Castle) that sort of thing.

Don

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:17 pm

DonW wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:16 pm Rather than a narrative you could add more sound effects. Door slamming at station stops, whistle blowing to set off, station announcements ( Beeston Beston Alight here for the Castle) that sort of thing.

Don
Nice idea, Don. I did try that a few years ago with A Day in the Life of Peckforton Station, but not tried it since.

Rik
------------------------

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:54 pm

Very good just the sort of thing I had in mind. Some lovely effects in there. I can remember visiting the London Transport Museum when they had a cab of an EMU. There was a button which set off a sound track of an EMU setting off. The minute the sound started what had been a mere static exhibit came to life. The sounds on your video form an audio backscene.
Well done.

Don