Brandbright Circket smoke generator trials

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Brandbright Circket smoke generator trials

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:07 pm

-steves- wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:26 pm Absolutely brilliant. Ever thought of going into production with them? Pretty sure there would be a market for them, not least of all with myself standing in the queue :thumbup: :thumbup:
I imagine most people view smoke generators in diesels as unrealistic as a well running engine doesn't smoke so I doubt there would be much demand.

However, this is narrow gauge where money is tight (for my railway anyway) and one day when I repaint this loco it will represent a well used little diesel struggling to keep its place on the loco roster to avoid being scrapped.

For me, the smoke makes the loco come to life just like the water, steam and smell my live steamers produce.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:23 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:07 pm
-steves- wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:26 pm Absolutely brilliant. Ever thought of going into production with them? Pretty sure there would be a market for them, not least of all with myself standing in the queue :thumbup: :thumbup:
I imagine most people view smoke generators in diesels as unrealistic as a well running engine doesn't smoke so I doubt there would be much demand.

However, this is narrow gauge where money is tight (for my railway anyway) and one day when I repaint this loco it will represent a well used little diesel struggling to keep its place on the loco roster to avoid being scrapped.

For me, the smoke makes the loco come to life just like the water, steam and smell my live steamers produce.

I couldn't agree more. Some philosophers believe that no-one is born with a soul; one has to earn one through suffering. This is certainly true of diesels. While steam engines already have a visible "life force", diesels do not. Like the Velveteen Rabbit, they acquire one through perseverance. I think your smoke system is brilliant.

For your possible enjoyment, I include a picture of a diesel from my own country, which almost certainly has earned a soul, and definitely produces copious amounts of smoke: **
6BBFF387-C879-4D01-9083-047EB624998C.jpeg
6BBFF387-C879-4D01-9083-047EB624998C.jpeg (184.35 KiB) Viewed 4457 times

**I apologize for my blatant poaching of "Simpsons" themes and amateur industrial theology

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:19 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:07 pm
I think some of RTR g scale diesels have smoke gens in them. Also quite a few ME scale i/c outline locos are appearing with added smoke.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:12 pm

I forgot about this video so I thought I would share it just to show that without a long thin scale exhaust pipe the smoke output looked far more realistic: