Talyllyn Railway

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Talyllyn Railway

Post by Tony Bird » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago we made our annual visit to the Talyllyn Railways Llechfan Garden Railway and Beer Festival. We had a stressful four days in our motor home we had to make sure we were up and at the top of the field to hold a hand up to stop and get on the first train of the day. We travelled on the train to Abergynolwyn where we had breakfast at the station, the train carries on to Nant Gwernol before returning to Abergynolwyn for a twenty five minute stop. Refreshed we return to the train for the journey to Towyn Wharf where on arrival about 1.00 pm, after what to have for breakfast the second big decision of the day: have a beer or go and play on Llechfan garden railway. After some discussion it is decided to buy some beer and take it to the garden railway. In the evening another decision; go to the pub or join the BBQ at the railway, the beer is good at the railway so a BBQ it is. One evening we take an evening train to Abergynowyn and have a beer and on the return journey get off at our camp site. The last evening there is no evening train so we walk the mile or so to our camp site, fortunately there is watering hole at about half way. We are now trying to restore enough energy for next years visit. The poor quality of the video has nothing to do with the beer consumed, Honest!

https://youtu.be/mk-rlWqE_Wg

Regards Tony.

Big Jim

Re: Talyllyn Railway

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:12 pm

Sounds like a good time was had by all.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:25 am

Guess you would have been stressed out after all those decisions Tony, beer, train, BBq, beer train. Looks like your camera priorities might have got you in the doghouse, re the footplate ride at the beginning. You were probably glad to get home after it all and relax. ;)
Grant.

methsman
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by methsman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi Tony ,I too have a MH and make a yearly visit to the Talyllyn,could you please tell me the name of the campsite that you used and does the train always pickup there or was it a special arrangement. Thanks in advance Chris.
Always look on the bright side of life.

Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Tony Bird » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi Chris,

We stay at a CL known as Hendy Farm which has one of the four request stops on the Talyllyn Railway. You really do just hold your hand up and the train stops, when ever the railway is in operation the halt is available.

Regards Tony.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:09 am

Great video Tony, this has to be on the list for a visit, don’t know about camping though.. :queen: Anne is not a great lover of going to the toilet in the dark..lol... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sleeper Agent
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Sleeper Agent » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Does anyone know how I can get in contact with author Bernard Rockett? Reading 'The Old Tal-y-llyn' book from his 16mm scale drawing series he gives a c1878 date for Talyllyn returning to Whitehaven but I can't recall any other book suggesting this and am curious to know where the footnote was pulled from.

Regards
Steve

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:53 pm

Thanks for the video. Looks like you had a great time and it brought back some good memories for me.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:33 pm

An interesting story and video. Why did the train reverse at Dolgoch and then re-enter the station?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:59 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:33 pm Why did the train reverse at Dolgoch and then re-enter the station?
I wasn't there in '17, but I was on the Garden Railway special at the last Llechfan Beer Festival, and the same thing happened - so that photographers (and videographers like Tony!) could hop out and take their shots of the train on the viaduct.
P1290189.jpeg
P1290189.jpeg (427.7 KiB) Viewed 5590 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:56 am

Love that photo Simon.... :thumbright: :thumbright:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:09 pm

Sleeper Agent wrote: ↑Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:28 pm Does anyone know how I can get in contact with author Bernard Rockett? Reading 'The Old Tal-y-llyn' book from his 16mm scale drawing series he gives a c1878 date for Talyllyn returning to Whitehaven but I can't recall any other book suggesting this and am curious to know where the footnote was pulled from.

Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

There are a large number of inaccuracies in Bernard's WHR book, including some stuff that's just made up. I don't mean deliberately misleading, just mis-remembered, but unfortunately I get the impression that there's not a great deal of fact-checking or proof-reading going on...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Sleeper Agent
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Sleeper Agent » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:29 pm

Andrew wrote: ↑Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:09 pm
Hi Andrew.

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it might actually have some merit given that the pre-90s cab was given Lowca style lining and that it would naturally postdate the weatherboard photo and also predate the derailment that cabbed Dolgoch is believed to of been involved in but the lack of mention in any other publication is a red flag. Idk I might try my luck with the publisher address in the book if there's no digital route but certainly the early 30s remark about the door modification is incorrect as Tal had it prior to WW1 and likewise no horizontal smokebox door is depicted on the four wheeler illustration.