Buddacre Garden Railway has its first steam engine

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Buddacre Garden Railway has its first steam engine

Post by Joe » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi all Happy new year! today my recent ebay purchase arrived, its a modified basically brand new mamod (which has many features a RWM janet has). Its got a brand new copper boiler with Butane/propane burner, displacement lubricator with tap, high pressure safety valve, regulator, imitation handbrake (gas control) water top up vave, handrails, lamp brackets, new bunker area added etc. i am awaiting steam oil to come in the post before i can run it but should be able to in a few days.

a couple of questions though:

1. is there any way of adding a pressure gauge?

2. is there any way of adding a water gauge?

3. Do any company make smokeboxes to replace the standard mamod type?

cheers
Joe
Steam is highly under rated

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:52 pm

I saw that loco on the mamod group on Facebook and by looking at the loco it would seem that the boiler, burner and gas tank are the same as the ones used in another 16mm live steam loco, wild rose. Looking at your locos cab it seems that it isn't possible to add a sight glass but you could fit a pressure gauge at the top of the regulator turret were that brass plug is fitted. If you contact roywoodmodels.co.uk roy there can make you a siphon that will fit to your boiler.

With regards to the smokebox there isn't any replacment smokeboxes I think though I could be wrong.

Hope that helps.
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:42 pm

Ok cheers, im glad i can easily add a pressure gauge, im afraid i dont know much about the boiler but if anyone has any more information i would be grateful
cheers
Joe
Last edited by Joe on Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:44 pm

Any idea where i would add the sight glass?, where would i fit the fitting in etc? thats if it is possible
Last edited by Joe on Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:20 pm

Might be worth running it a while before major changes.

I found with Mamods you get to know when the water is running out. It slows and wants the runner to turn the gas up in effect. Don't.
Allow to cool, and re-oil the running gear/moving parts.
A gauge is a 'nice to have' but not essential, when you get to know the loco well. She looks a cracker.
I'd have at least 10 goes before altering a fine loco.

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:27 pm

ok thanks for advice steamie 1 yeah may not bother with water gauge then but i think its pretty safe to add a pressure gauge once as you said ive ran it for a bit

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:39 pm

ive meassured the gas tank and its the same length as wild roses one but im not sure if the boiler lengths are the same? my boiler is about 125mm long

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:01 pm

Congratulations Joe, that's a very nice loco. I hope you enjoy running it. Are you any further forward with laying any track on your line yet?
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks, im sure i will have many happy hours boiling water! I have had a break from track laying other the winter period but when the weather improves i will buy lengths of wood and cover it with roofing felt and then put that on my ballast and pin down track then finally cover with fine ballast, thats the plan anyway! :D ive got about 14 meters of fairly easy track laying before i get to the top section which will need some greater earthworks.

cheers and happy new year
Joe

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:49 pm

A pressure gauge should be possible to add but I would think you will need access to a lathe or friend who has one to alter the regulator turret. A water gauge will mean either heavy modification to the current boiler or a new one entirely.Its not difficult to run one without a sight glass, just takes practice. I think the smoke box is the only thing that hasn't been made by other companies as a replacement. I would guess this is due to the complexity of the design as the smoke box hold the entire front end of the loco together. What don't you like about the current one may I ask ?
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:55 pm

ok thanks, i like the current smoke box its just i saw a picture of a mamod with a more ragleth style smoke box and thought that looked equally as nice but unique, i presume that one was scratch built, im very happy with the loco like it is but i think i will add a pressure gauge and possibly buffer beam covers.

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:56 pm

The other loco wasn't blue by chance was it ?
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:01 pm

no i dont think so, it was a while ago but i think it was green

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:06 pm

Should be easy enough to fit a pressure gauge as you have a blanking plug fitted to the top of the regulator housing. As Sam (Lner fan Sam) has said Roy Wood can make you a custom length syphon tube (he's made 2 for me) and banjo bolt - www.roywoodmodels.co.uk

As we discussed before you cannot easily fit a water sight glass to this boiler without major surgery (drill appropriate holes then fitting bushes, etc.). The boiler does have similarities to the Wild Rose one but has at least one extra bushing. So if someone knows the capacity of a Wild Rose boiler and its recommended maximum operating water level that may help you (Dave Watkins is a Forum member - DaveWatkins - perhaps he can help with this question).

With regards to a different smokebox casting are you talking about the nice rivet detailed one fitted to the early Brandbright & IP Jane's like this one?

If so then the answer is they were never available separately, so you would need to get an early Brandbright/IP Jane with one fitted and swap it over. Contrary to a popularly held belief they were not discontinued because the mold broke!

Chris Cairns

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:14 pm

ok cheers, chris, thanks for advice im just about to,order the fittings needed for the pressure gauge

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:25 pm

A very nice looking locomotive Joe.
If you want to personalise your smoke box you could cover it with a sheet of shim brass with the dummy rivets punched in (use a blunt nail or centre punch) A new smoke box dart could be made and a hand rail fitted.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:28 pm

Yeah good idea, cheers, i will leave it for now but its always a thought once ive learnt more about the locos and am a bit more skiled

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:49 pm

The best way to get more skilled is to try something out. Whats the worst that could happen? You need another bit of shim brass.

Many great things have been achieved by people who don't know that they should not be able to do it!!!!
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!