Heat wave pictures

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
Big Jim

Heat wave pictures

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:52 pm

Right then.
As the British Isles is now basking in a heat wave the like of which we have not seen since the last one. Now is your chance to post some pictures of scorching summer scenes.

I don't have anything 16mm related but here is one showing the amount of track movement, due to the heat that has occurred at the local ME society.

(Note to all members who live and thrive in locations much warmer than this and don't think the the world is coming to the end because there has been a few weeks without rain and the temperature has got up to the 70's for a few days, just humour us okay :thumbright: )
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

philipy

Re: Heat wave pictures

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:49 am

Don't have any pictures to contribute but I can say that I measured one of the many cracks in our back lawn a few days ago and it was 16" straight down in the general direction of Oz!
Philip

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:04 am

Makes me glad I haven't got any track down yet. I did visit a friend's railway which has suffered badly in the unusual (for the UK) conditions. No pictures though, sorry. Cracks and subsidence in several places evident.

Ian
Ian

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:39 pm

Was 109F here last week...

Steaminnthnsw
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Steaminnthnsw » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:22 pm

Sorry, can’t help but chuck in my 2c here. Summer is just beginning here in Australia and I’m attempting to start ground works for building my railway. Spent a good part of yesterday down in the bush collecting rock and it was just under 40 degrees C ( about 104F if I’m correct) . By December it’s going to be much hotter

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:12 pm

Oooo, sounds like fun. Don't work to hard in the heat.
We have rain and sleet tonight and a temperature of about 9 degrees.

I don't think the palm trees will be flourishing and I fear for the local parrots.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:06 pm

philipy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:49 am it was 16" straight down in the general direction of Oz!
Oh blast!!
We need water down here badly, and thought we could secretly siphon some down from a place that has plenty. Now the cat's out of the bag.
Grant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:12 am

LNR wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:06 pm
philipy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:49 am it was 16" straight down in the general direction of Oz!
Oh blast!!
We need water down here badly, and thought we could secretly siphon some down from a place that has plenty. Now the cat's out of the bag.
Grant.
Just looked out of the window and as the old Supertramp song says, "Oh no, it's raining again " :lol:
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:40 am

Sun shinning here at the moment.

Haven’t got any photos of damage to my line. Only blooming pigeon poop on the line because of that blasted willow tree…………… :x :x

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:42 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:40 am Sun shinning here at the moment.

Haven’t got any photos of damage to my line. Only blooming pigeon poop on the line because of that blasted willow tree…………… :x :x
Many years ago when I still lived in Blighty my neighbour had a 'gag sign' fixed to his shed door that said,

"KEEP BRITAIN TIDY - EAT PIGEONS!"

He was sick of them pooping all over his cat slide roof and filling up his gutters. The local pigeon fancier's flock had taken a shine to his roof as a roosting place when they were turfed out for some exercise.

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:08 pm

That reminds me of the old one, " Preserve wildlife - pickle a squirrel today"
Philip

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Brilliant, both of you.

I tried saving wildlife a few years ago.

I saved a badger that had been hit by a car for several months.

It did go a bit smelly and liquid so I had to throw it out.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:00 pm

Dwayne wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:39 pm Was 109F here last week...
I am glad I am in Virginia, we haven't busted the 70F (21C) mark for several weeks, except perhaps for one day around 74F, which has been really pleasant after a warm, wet, and very humid summer. I am slowly putting the storm windows back in.

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:03 pm

IrishPeter wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:00 pm
I am glad I am in Virginia, we haven't busted the 70F (21C) mark for several weeks, except perhaps for one day around 74F, which has been really pleasant after a warm, wet, and very humid summer. I am slowly putting the storm windows back in.

Peter in Va
With that weather pattern description your'e not selling Virginia to me very well. There must be something else which attracts people there?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:54 pm

It is usually much drier here in the summer - not dissimilar to eastern England. It usually rains about when you are contemplating getting the hosepipe out to water the lawn, but this summer has felt like it has been three days on and three days off! It has settled down again now (though it is wet today) so we are getting about one, maybe two, rainy days a week, which is about the norm here.

Peter in Va

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:07 am

That sound just like the UK Peter, apart from the storm windows bit. Saying that, we are starting to get some very windy weather now.