From the Archives - Elsecar Show Sept 2017

If you would like to share some of your garden railway photographs or photos of prototypes which might inspire members, then please post them in here
dougrail
Driver
Driver

From the Archives - Elsecar Show Sept 2017

Post by dougrail » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:07 am

Hi guys,

I've been absent for over half a year but semi active elsewhere due to IT issues and accessing the forum. This has now been resolved and so I figured I should get back into the swing of things as I have still been out and about steamwise. Some developments, some comings and goings and lots of steaming!

Elsecar Show 2017 was an enjoyable setup for me, as I had booked accomodation locally. I had a successful two days running there, with the set that has become 'Y Cymro' - my Bertie in Bala Lake livery coupled with Tallyho coaching stock. A 'flavour' of Welsh NG, rather than FfR purity. Part One of the write up is here now.

Loco Developments
First off - last I had mentioned on this forum was that I had purchased a new little loco in March 2017 to replace my stolen supermamod. A smart blue Bertie that had been christened 'Fennec', and had had its cylinder covers and wheels painted blue, con rods red and Karen crossheads attached. Since spring 2017 a lot of work had been undertaken in the form of cab work - water topup and water glass fitting, and a full lining job of black borders and red lining, with bufferbeams treated and smartened up Great Eastern style as well as Locoworks springs and Narrow Planet name and numberplates fitted. This had all been done piecemeal during late August and September to be ready for showing at Elsecar Show.

Some bits were added at the frantic setup of the Show on Saturday morning...the cab backdoor and new roof come to mind! This has since been touched up and some sections restyled, so what you see here is "version 1" of Fennec's lineout. You can observe that I also went allout and lined the wheels too....

~~~

Some of the Engines that Appeared Were:-

Laurence's kitbuilt LA Norwegian Blue t.

Baldwin

Diesels...

Would you believe that Goliath was a 3-d printed loco? It is massive! Based on an Australian prototype I believe.

Even a Mamod made it...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's This? - Small Engine, Big Engine

It was noticed that the KESR's on-loan loco to Elsecar Heritage Railway, 0-4-0VBT Gervase shared a few similarities with one of the show's own stars...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trader's Corner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steamup on Saed-Y-Parc

Time to start some steam running for the benefit of the visitors who'd paid to come and see live steam. Out went Fennec, out went the Talyllyn coaches without skipping a beat :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Ron Grant Coach Regiment

Another 'development' was in the carriage works department. I had been able to purchase a full rake of Ron Grant Talyllyn vintage 4w coaches, including the rare-as-hens-teeth number 4 'Lulu' and had brought them all with me to Elsecar as I can now drive and have my own car. :) The deal was that I had selected which five of the Ron Grants I would keep [in the end, my first nos 1, 3 and van 5 stayed with me] and I kept the no.2 and no.4 of the new rake. The surplus 1,3 and v5 plus the Ian Beadle freestyle 'alike' coaches were sold to a good home to run, appropriately, on Talyllyn grounds. However, while the two rakes worth were together, a special running had to be made and so not one, not five but ten handbuilt, heavywood, individually-sprung coaches were ran in one formation at the Show.

Past the Glendreich Whisky distillery...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, More Engines in Steam

Just one of many other 'Bertie' class locos that made it to the weekend...

And a third...

Stanhope

Berties everywhere! This example was a very pretty example of how these "Basic Series" locos can be customised and painted to become really detailed, attractive engines.

And the Bertie class counterpart - a Millie in attendance. With RH diesel running in the background. More of these powerful little diesels were featuring in the Show, ranging from little John to Criccieth Castles, from Roundhouse.

~~~~~~~~~

G Scale Goings-on

Image [52 /150]

~~~~~~~~

Timpdon treats

Timpdon layout was present with a stunning lineup of locos, ranging from beautifully lined Basic locos, Peckets through to scale prototypical models.

~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, on Mount Dowd

Mount Dowd is the largest layout to usually attend the Elsecar show - by largest I mean 3/4 fully running tracks and a good distance running althought Saed-Y-Parc and Dixon Green combined provided quite a lengthy run as a one-track-per-direction layout.

Image 62

]Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Little Slice of the TLHC of Wales...[Portmadoc layout]
Huddersfield Group's club layout with a gorgeous corner scene depicting the FR's Harbour Station in the 1960s

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More Stock for Sale

Trader's corner part two...

One pretty little Janet, meth fired. Was temoted but it wold have needed a pressure gauge and a gas burner fitting for me...

A heritage meth fired model of MNR/IOM "Caledonia"

7/8ths Scale Bagnall saddletank

Part Two tomorrow or this coming week.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: From the Archives - Elsecar Show Sept 2017

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:34 am

Well you have kept busy.... nice collection of pictures and a great time spent.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:19 am

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:34 am Well you have kept busy.... nice collection of pictures and a great time spent.
More to come! :) Bene busy thinning out my 'Tuit' table [the end is in sight!] and relining 'Fennec' as well as preparing for my no.3 to come home. Still lots on the cards.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:54 pm

PART TWO

How many Berties are we on now? There was always going to be at least one in the famous Penrhyn livery...

And now a red Bertie...all the colours of the rainbow approaching thick and fast here...

Possibly one of, if not the, longest train running that weekend

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Tale Of Two Berties -'The Twin Engines'
Yet MORE Bertie madness...

Sunday presented an interesting sitaution with a friend, a lost engine and a rarely used credit card...

A friend of mine who works in the 16mm trade as a painter, engineer, repairer, builder and so forth had a few years ago owned a Bertie - no surprises there are they are fantastic little engines. He had had to sell his however to make money through a slim month. He sold it down south and as it transpired, a month before the Show, the buyer had sold it onto a trader who was at Elsecar. imagine our surprises, when, small world style, 'TILLY' showed up.

Said friend had always, always regretted selling her of all his engines and had wished to get her back. Even his wife had said that she'd like to see it back. Cue a small 'loan agreement' being drawn up and I becoming the owner of not one but two Berties for a few weeks after taking my credit card to the merchant and swiftly buying her before someone else could take her and spirit her away into the ether...

A toast made over cans of pop, celebrating bringing Tilly back into the fold, before she was steamed up to be tested. Anticipation was high, her to-be-owner had never been let down by her, but what of her time away?

Tilly steamed very happily around Dixon Green indeed - the new to-be-owner was pleased as he was stating, one of the best engines he had ever steamed. One good turn...

[Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One blue Bertie steamed and tested all good. As soon as Tilly had been shunted onto a store siding, the loco crew marched over to Mount Dowd to prep the 'other' blue Bertie to take the stand on Mount Dowd amidst a sea of large, prestige, superdetailed engines

A Lineup Of Lady Annes

Not one but three Lady Annes, all in different liveries were simultaneously running at Mount Dowd and so the chance could not be passed up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mount Dowd Mission
With all prep double checked and completed, it was time for Fennec to take the run of Mount Dowd. A Quarry Hunslet and a red Bertie had already paved the way for the small engines to be seen and do well amidst an army of large, pricey, detailed or scratchbuilt locos. The term "Basic Series" is really a fallacy for the Bertie/Millie/Sammie classes of Roundhouse locos, as they made to the same high standards and with the same equipment as the pricier, larger 'Classic Series' locos - they even share the same cylinders and motion with the Classic range.

Video of Steaming on Mount Dowd - regulator barely notched open, fire down, load 3 [6 4w, equiv 3 bogies].

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elsewhere...

This lovely Tony Sant Quarry Hunslet was the other running loco with my on my slot when I ran Fennec.

Brave little shunter out on the main line

Welshpool up North

War Department Baldwin

Blazing Saddles?

Silver Lady on Portmadoc

Portmadoc Shed - Alco 2-6-2, Prince and Merddyn Emrys all on shed

Garratt Galloping again...

Some Mamods for Sale - left, a blue oscillator Mk3, centre and focus a slip ex Thomas Telford, and right, an original SL engine.

Millies - two brand new, black and green, were also for sale. Millies are also Roundhouse 'Basic Series' locos with the same care, precision quality and engineering built into them that the Berties and larger 'Classic Series' have. Their main difference is that as well as having slip-eccentric gear, they are externally-fired [burner sat between the frames, above the axles] 'pot boilers' meaning they can have a longer run time than the Bertie types, as their boilers only need to hold water and no flue pipes.

~~~~~~~~~~~

A Day's Work Done

Tme to sit back and enjoy with a beer or two after a successful Show, smooth running and a lot accomplished that weekend. Looking forward to the Yorkshore 2018 now...

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:59 pm

Thanks for sharing.

If you were unable to reset your forum password you could of clicked the contact us button which emails admin.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:39 pm

Some great photo’s there.

There is even a photo of the RH Millie “Susan” with my Anne walking past the stand.

It was our 1st show and you are correct, it was a brilliant show. We also are looking forward to Bradford and we can’t wait to go to Llanfair in September.

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:02 am

FWLR wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:39 pm Some great photo’s there.

There is even a photo of the RH Millie “Susan” with my Anne walking past the stand.

It was our 1st show and you are correct, it was a brilliant show. We also are looking forward to Bradford and we can’t wait to go to Llanfair in September.
Thanks for looking by :) Small world how I took a photo and unwittingly caught your wife. :lol: I've been to 6 Elsecar shows now and enjoyed them all, the venue set in the industrial village with full size railway gently puffing outside the Hall is wonderful indeed, each of the big three summer/autumn shows all have a different flavour to them. Bradford I am on for and I will also see you at Llanfair! I aim to camp within the school grounds by the Talyllyn crew and the 5in railway setup if possible.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:33 am

You certainly get around, which is great if you post photos of your visits, some of the locos are, in fact all of them are absolutely brilliant. :thumbright:

The Bertie, does seem to be a very popular engine and the detailing on them are brilliant. Maybe a real possible next live steam, when funds allow…… :thumbright: :thumbright:

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:07 am

FWLR wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:33 am You certainly get around, which is great if you post photos of your visits, some of the locos are, in fact all of them are absolutely brilliant. :thumbright:

The Bertie, does seem to be a very popular engine and the detailing on them are brilliant. Maybe a real possible next live steam, when funds allow…… :thumbright: :thumbright:
Got to admit last few months I havent been as active, although I did do Peterborough etc. I'd thoroughly recommend a Bertie as one's first proper engine - get a Mamod, learn the trade on it, then buy a Bertie as a first proper engine. You cannot go wrong with them. 8)

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:19 am

What a great set of photos - so much to look at here!

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:01 am

Good to see you again Doug. Great pictures. Memory plays tricks sometimes, but I think I was at Elsecar last year. Or was it the year before?

Ian
Ian

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:19 pm

IanC wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:01 am Good to see you again Doug. Great pictures. Memory plays tricks sometimes, but I think I was at Elsecar last year. Or was it the year before?

Ian
Glad to be back Ian, it's been a while, especially as we'd got lost after the downing of the 'old place'. Good to see you still going strong in the hobby, I've seen your Newqida project recently, any chance of any more photos of them? :) Elsecar I was there since 2013, so could have been 2016?

SimonWood wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:19 am What a great set of photos - so much to look at here!
There was a lot going on in what was is a relatively middle sized venue in an old industrial warehouse! :) It was that Victorian industrial charm that lent Elsecar a rustic, laidback atmosphere. Thanks for looking.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:32 am

dougrail wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:07 am
FWLR wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:33 am You certainly get around, which is great if you post photos of your visits, some of the locos are, in fact all of them are absolutely brilliant. :thumbright:

Got to admit last few months I havent been as active, although I did do Peterborough etc. I'd thoroughly recommend a Bertie as one's first proper engine - get a Mamod, learn the trade on it, then buy a Bertie as a first proper engine. You cannot go wrong with them. 8)
Already have a RH Billy Doug…..

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:41 am

FWLR wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:32 am
dougrail wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:07 am

Already have a RH Billy Doug…..
Begging your pardon then! Would however still recommend a Bertie as an excellent 'small' engine - pick up and go.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:48 am

After seeing your photos and the way they can be detailed, I don’t think there is anything going to stop me buying one in the near future Doug…. :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:50 am

Also you could start a “Bertie” thread on the forum, because has you have shown, it is a very popular and easy loco to detail and run…. :thumbright:

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:07 am

I could do, couldn't I...?

Fennec isn't finished yet though. Touching up the wheel lining for one, and getting handrails on saddle plus lamp irons for a start...

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Strange, but despite the popularity I don't recall seeing any Berties in either of my local area groups. I think Lady Anne is the most popular,followed by Katies. I'll have to start counting them.

Ian
Ian

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:24 pm

IanC wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:30 pm Strange, but despite the popularity I don't recall seeing any Berties in either of my local area groups. I think Lady Anne is the most popular,followed by Katies. I'll have to start counting them.

Ian
LA and Katie are both Classic with full running gear and can be fully RC. Suspect this is a factor whereas Berties are slipex. Also Bertie's looks [small smokebox] can be marmite - love or hate. A few years ago the Bertie look actually put me off, but it grew on me. And then I realised just how much these can be customised. :) I counted ten plus at Elsecar?

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:06 pm

dougrail wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:24 pm
IanC wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:30 pm Strange, but despite the popularity I don't recall seeing any Berties in either of my local area groups. I think Lady Anne is the most popular,followed by Katies. I'll have to start counting them.

Ian
LA and Katie are both Classic with full running gear and can be fully RC. Suspect this is a factor whereas Berties are slipex. Also Bertie's looks [small smokebox] can be marmite - love or hate. A few years ago the Bertie look actually put me off, but it grew on me. And then I realised just how much these can be customised. :) I counted ten plus at Elsecar?
Indeed. I did see a Bertie with a replacement smokebox and it transformed it into a lovely proportioned locomotive. Locally I think Roundhouseengines are more popular than Accucraft. I now have one engine from each manufacturer, although I haven't run the Accucraft one yet. It went straight into the paint shop for a temporay touch up of the paintwork pending a full stripdown and repaint later. It had carried nameplates which I agreed to return to the seller. The nameplates had been stuck on with superglue, which damaged the paintwork. At some point some lining had been applied too but I think it was enamel on top of acrylic. A recipie for problems evidenced by the cracking. I've removed the worst of it. I might post some pictures of it in it's present condition.

Ian
Ian