Waterslide Transfers

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
AFGadd
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Waterslide Transfers

Post by AFGadd » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:49 am

Hi,

I need to locate some transfers. I remember using waterslide transfers years ago when I built 009 stuff.
But now I need some BIG transfers for 15mm scale.

I would like just letters and numbers, I've lots of ideas for projects but initially I would love to finish one of my Dad's model that I've inherited from him.

The model is totally freelance, and (for my father) pretty much complete!!!
It's built to 15mm scale (or as so close as to make little difference) but to standard gauge.
There is a Vertical Boilered loco that matches, more on this later.
As you can see from the image, I've re-bogied the vehicle (image of dads standard gauge bogies below) and it now sits on a pair of Bachmann "Jackson & Sharpe" bogies. I'm waiting for Plasticard to arrive and I'll build some "Link & Pin" couplings, then I'll paint the bogies. It also needs some grab-rails and door-handles.
What all this means is that the vehicle will finally see some use after 25 years plus of sitting on a shelf!!!

What I would dearly love to do is Letter and Number the vehicle though.
Can anyone help, where can I buy transfers in this scale, please?

The Bogies.
Dad built these using GRP Resin. Building a single frame and cross members then making his own rubber moulds. Even the wheel were cast in this fashion!!!
Andrew

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:09 pm

Nice work, the only company I can think of who may do custom waterslide transfers, or something close to what you want is Garden Railway Specilists. I know woodland scenics do rub down transfers in various sizes and styles. DJB engineering also do rub down transfers, and I can highly recommend them. They might also do commisions for one off stuff.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Mr ACME
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Waterslide Transfers

Post by Mr ACME » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:24 am

AFGadd:59162 wrote:Hi,

I need to locate some transfers. I remember using waterslide transfers years ago when I built 009 stuff.
But now I need some BIG transfers for 15mm scale.

I would like just letters and numbers, I've lots of ideas for projects but initially I would love to finish one of my Dad's model that I've inherited from him.

The model is totally freelance, and (for my father) pretty much complete!!!
It's built to 15mm scale (or as so close as to make little difference) but to standard gauge.
There is a Vertical Boilered loco that matches, more on this later.
As you can see from the image, I've re-bogied the vehicle (image of dads standard gauge bogies below) and it now sits on a pair of Bachmann "Jackson & Sharpe" bogies. I'm waiting for Plasticard to arrive and I'll build some "Link & Pin" couplings, then I'll paint the bogies. It also needs some grab-rails and door-handles.
What all this means is that the vehicle will finally see some use after 25 years plus of sitting on a shelf!!!

What I would dearly love to do is Letter and Number the vehicle though.
Can anyone help, where can I buy transfers in this scale, please?

The Bogies.
Dad built these using GRP Resin. Building a single frame and cross members then making his own rubber moulds. Even the wheel were cast in this fashion!!!
Make your own using either laser or ink jet decal paper. See http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/ca ... ecal-Paper for an example. Choose your own supplier, I can't recommend any particular one.
Best

Mike Ousby

Mr ACME
email: sales@acmesteam.co.uk
www.acmesteam.co.uk

The original Accucraft service person, working closely with them since 2001.

AFGadd
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by AFGadd » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:42 pm

Many thanks,
I'm going to try the Inkjet Paper.
Andrew

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Waterslide Transfers

Post by FBGR » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:41 am

Decal Paper with an Inkjet Printer are find, but you can't do white - indeed any colour but black on a non-white background may need a bit of experimentation to get the colour your want.

JOhn

AFGadd
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by AFGadd » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:10 am

I've bought one sheet each of clear and white paper, I'll wait and see what turns up and experiment on various surfaces and colours.

I'm not really sure I'd want white lettering anyway, gold or cream being more likely.

I'll keep all informed to progress, many thanks for the advise.
Andrew