The worst GR season

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
pauly
Driver
Driver

The worst GR season

Post by pauly » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:27 pm

Which season do you think is the worst for Garden Railways, Id say this 1 where in now.
the weathers horrible, rainy and cloudy and the gardens all bleak and dead looking.

roll on late spring!
Last edited by pauly on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A steam propelled life-style.

SLRmidge
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SLRmidge » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:33 pm

Couldn't agree more Pauly, its been miserable in the garden lately & I need to rebuild a load of trackwork due to frost heave from last December........ :roll:

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:46 pm

My railway's due a lift and relay, but Butterley, being a higher-level line is quite pleasant to run on, providing it's not too bloody cold!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:31 pm

I'm not so sure, we had a great day playing trains yesterday!

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:47 pm

Personally, I'd say the most frustrating times of year are Spring and Autumn. Glorious weather, but all too often unable to take advantage of it because of university (when I was younger, school) commitments. Coincidentally, these are the times of year when full-szie railways hold their galas, too :roll:

I do enjoy either hosting or visiting an occasional winter steam-up - and the long evenings can at least be put to good use in the workshop!

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:27 pm

I do like winter steam ups, thick clouds of steam and hot cups of tea...
There is something about a really hot day that makes me not enjoy a steam up. So late spring has to be my favourite time, the garden is in full bloom and its not too hot!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

plewsy2105
Fireman
Fireman

Post by plewsy2105 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:19 am

I do like winter steam ups, thick clouds of steam
....not being able to see anything :lol: autumn and winter are aright by me (i spent x mass off the coast of a country in the middle east keeping pirates at bay :| ) provided i don't have to go anywhere near the south Atlantic :lol: it makes painting quite hard among other things

see what i mean look at the black paint its all over the place what was i thinking :| :lol:

plewsy2105
plewsy2105

MHR apprentice fitter

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Re: The worst GR season

Post by Narrow Minded » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:38 am

pauly:48646 wrote:Which season do you think is the worst for Garden Railways, Id say this 1 where in now.
the weathers horrible, rainy and cloudy and the gardens all bleak and dead looking.

roll on late spring!
Yeah, the one we're in now - but hopefully just coming out of! The garden not only looks bleak but when you try and do anything, it just turns into a mudbath! :cry:

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:38 am

The two seasons I love is the dead of winter, running in the frost just before the sun comes up and also warm late spring/summer evenings :D

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bessytractor » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:58 pm

anytime thats not spring or summer I reckon.

I can manage running trains now but its just not very pleasant, I reserve that for running indoors on the club layout now that I'm actually member of one!
proudly flying in the face of convention

garrymartin
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by garrymartin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:46 pm

DolwyddelanLightRail:48675 wrote:The two seasons I love is the dead of winter, running in the frost just before the sun comes up and also warm late spring/summer evenings  :D
#
I'm with you 100%. this time of year has to be the worst, the cold crisp winters days seem to have gone , yet there is no hint of spring, just damp & greyness
Cheers Garry
Area manager of the Rotherfield & Seahaven branch

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:53 pm

over the past couple of weeks we've had a couple of really nice days, however the rest have been cold and miserable.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Re: The worst GR season

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:15 pm

pauly:48646 wrote:Which season do you think is the worst for Garden Railways, Id say this 1 where in now.

roll on late spring!
Summer rainy season is probably the least inviting here due to the heat and relatively high humidity - not to mention washouts, "skeeters" and other such joys.

OTOH, warmish (high 40sF) days in mid-winter are a real treat with the steam effects and everything working first time.

Peter in AZ

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:37 pm

Iv been looking at last years summer photos I took of my line and all the wonderfull ground cover and foiliage s gone now, killed off by the snow and replaced with gravel, mud and deadness :(

I alwasy worry that my railway looks ugly and grey this time of year because I forget how beautiful it looks in the warmer months.
A steam propelled life-style.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:44 pm

pauly:49114 wrote:Iv been looking at last years summer photos I took of my line and all the wonderfull ground cover and foiliage s gone now, killed off by the snow and replaced with gravel, mud and deadness  :(

I alwasy worry that my railway looks ugly and grey this time of year because I forget how beautiful it looks in the warmer months.
Ah yes, but some plonker will wax lyrical about how "garden railways enjoy the multi-faceted spectrum of the ever changing seasons.................etc, etc"

I just put it down to putting up with the rough and enjoying the good times - the clocks go forward soon, then the AGM and summer's on its way! Bring IT On!!!!

(Please.)

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Narrow Minded:49116 wrote:
pauly:49114 wrote:Iv been looking at last years summer photos I took of my line and all the wonderfull ground cover and foiliage s gone now, killed off by the snow and replaced with gravel, mud and deadness  :(

Ah yes, but some plonker will wax lyrical about how "garden railways enjoy the multi-faceted spectrum of the ever changing seasons.................etc, etc"

I just put it down to putting up with the rough and enjoying the good times - the clocks go forward soon, then the AGM and summer's on its way! Bring IT On!!!!
(Please.)
When I first started in the garden it was only strong winds would stop us running. One day it was so cold the gas would not get warm enough to fire the locos! I am a bit (well a lot) older now and like to take my pleasures in as much comfort as can be arranged. We have two indoor lines now in my neck of woods (well in barns/workshops) and this is where we go in the winter. The double doors are open but an urn of tea and a huge woodburning stove to warm one's nether regions on makes this a very comfortable way of steaming up when it is bitter cold and blowing a barsteward....
Tag Gorton