The Guide to 16mm Scale Modelling

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Guide to 16mm Scale Modelling

Post by ge_rik » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:28 am

Paul_in_Ricky wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:52 pm Track powered locos seem a lost art in 16mm garden railways from what I've read over the last 18 months. I can't remember reading a single reference to it.
That is probably true for 32mm gauge, but I'd say in 45mm gauge there are quite a few track powered layouts. The issue is probably whether or not, the 45mm gauge layouts are 16mm scale. My railway was originally track powered and my rubber ruler varies between 16mm and 15mm scale.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MRail » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:17 am

[i]"...if starting in Garden Railways other ligature should be sought due to the bias."[/i]

Typos, Jimmy?
Or is it despair?

Really, I think the issue comes down to the fine and blurry line between 16mm and G gauge.
Don't the G scale society provide a beginners' guide?
Rob G
Madog & Mersey Railway (SM32)
In my Father's roundhouse are many loco sheds.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:18 am

MRail wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:17 am "...if starting in Garden Railways other ligature should be sought due to the bias."

Typos, Jimmy?
Or is it despair?

Really, I think the issue comes down to the fine and blurry line between 16mm and G gauge.
Don't the G scale society provide a beginners' guide?
Yes, must do better, it would seem I'm not cut out for forum comments.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:33 pm

I think the forum shows we are a far more varied bunch using all types of power sources and gauges.

Nojahoda
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Nojahoda » Tue May 05, 2020 8:56 pm

As a total noob to this kind of thing, I would say it's a real bargain.

I haven't read all the controversial bits yet, but I guess I've already done enough research that I have already decided on a few of those matters.

I do think that some photos of less ambitious projects would have been nice. I'm probably looking at building the garden railway equivalent of a slightly expanded train set, and whilst the multi level empires are fun to look at it would be nice to see that a more basic effort can be worthwhile too. But I'm nitpicking really, I've wasted a lot more than that cost on stuff I actually didn't like in the past.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 11, 2020 7:14 am

Jimmyb wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:33 am Just finished reading through the Guide, and here are my thoughts, but first some perspective. Though been in to model railways for more years that I care to recall, I have only been Garden Railway modelling for just over two years, so really just a beginner.

Considering there were 10 proof readers, a number of typos, (though I am being pedantic here).
I would seem I have a lot of negative points, but overall I did find find it a useful read, and could be of much use to a beginner, though I would also suggest that if starting in Garden Railways other ligature should be sought due to the bias.
Jimmy, please don't think your comments aren't useful, they are. We all make mistakes at some point with type, we are human beings and not robots. Thats the beauty of being human isn't it. I am always making mistakes and I get blasted for it. For what I have read from the comments you have made, you are a genuine person who wants to learn and know more about our hobby.

By the way I am also fairly new to garden railways. So you're not alone mate.
:thumbright: :thumbright:

Has my signature say's,
Life is easy when I run my trains. :thumbright: But unfortunately it's not..........