Nameplates

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Nameplates

Post by Busted Bricks » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:32 pm

I've just bought a 50W fiber laser engraver and have spent the day playing around with deep engraving brass. Results are promising so I will now be able to make nameplates etc. without the hassle of etching. Since I also have a fiber laser cutter, I can cut engraving blanks inhouse.

0.8mm depth, brass
sdeep brass.jpg
1.5mm depth, brass
sdeep 15ms.jpg
1.5mm depth, aluminium
sdeep alu.jpg

tom_tom_go
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Nameplates

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:16 pm

Ah, I was just thinking of a name for my 5" loco the other day!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:27 am

How small can you make nameplates with this technology? My Dad had a OO scale "Royal Scot" that he wants nameplates for, he was asking me about it but I don't know if they make them this small.

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:18 pm

I'm not familiar with how big a nameplate would be in 00 scale, but a fiber laser is capable of very fine detail. If you give me some dimensions I can make a test.

Jimmyb
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Jimmyb » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:11 am

PM Sent.
Keep the rubber-side down

JimmyB

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:45 am

Just to prevent disappointment to anyone, I should make it clear that this is not a commercial venture at this point and may not become one. AFAIK there are already several UK suppliers offering nameplates at very modest prices. I recall someone saying they got a pair for under £10. It would honestly not be worth my time to try and compete with that. I'm not really setup to deal with retail customers at present - I mainly cut for other businesses.

I run a laser cutting business full time now and some customers have enquired about having logos engraved onto items that I cut for them. That was the motivation for buying the fiber laser engraver. However it's a nice bonus that I will be able to engrave my own nameplates.