A signal box

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

A signal box

Post by -steves- » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:33 pm

Well bit of an odd one this as it turned out. I had originally planned to have a pull out board underneath my track so I could use some switches to changes the electric points. Instead of doing that, somehow, many moons later, I built a signal box for the layout and put the switches and power supply inside it. I hope this might give someone else a similar idea rather than just ending up at this point like I did, lol :lol:

The points are operated by a 12v HDD power supply from eBay for about £7, the signal box is marine ply, the windows are all plasticard, the stones at the bottom are a modelling clay that was pressed onto the ply and the stones were scored into it with a sharpened lolly pop stick, simple but quite effective. Painted with acrylics and then heavily varnished a few times. The lid is hinged and the box has survived all winter without any rain getting in. :thumbup:

I should point out that the steps to the door which you can't see have yet to be built ;)

The picture below gives a representation of my layout and the switches are placed appropriately to where the points are.

Last edited by -steves- on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Re: A signal box

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:14 am

Our AWOL inspector of Garden Railways - Mr. V. Isle - I am sure would approve. I seem to recall that purely ornamental signal boxes were a common gripe of his. For my part I think it is a very tidy and useful solution to providing local control for the track layout.

LIKE IT! :thumbup:

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:58 am

I agree with Peter, a very neat idea.
Also, it is surely about time that Mr Isles reappeared!
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:39 pm

Glad you like it, it looks better in the garden than it does in the pictures, but should look better still when I get around to putting the steps up to the door on the other side, lol :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:18 am

Smart solution. :thumbright:

Rik
------------------------