Recent Stuff on the FBGR

Anything related to the garden railway world that is not catered for in another board
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Recent Stuff on the FBGR

Post by FWLR » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:47 am

It’s looking great John, loving your scenery... :thumbright:

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:54 pm

Area behind the loco shed back corner fitted today. I have added an old water tank to add interest. Fence from old sleepers (foamboard) also makes a nice edge to the area.
DSCF4692 reduced.jpg
DSCF4692 reduced.jpg (405.54 KiB) Viewed 10079 times
DSCF4694 reduced.jpg
DSCF4694 reduced.jpg (373.95 KiB) Viewed 10079 times
J0hn
The world's going to end very soon --- so I'd better try to get something finished by then

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:03 pm

Looking good John.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:48 am

Nice detail John.

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:49 pm

Preparations for a new bridge (actually half a bridge) moved on today, with the offering up and fixing for position of the bridge hole, and trying to work out how to do the adjacent abutments and retaining walls.
DSCF4702 cropped and reduced.jpg
DSCF4702 cropped and reduced.jpg (338.23 KiB) Viewed 9996 times
We havn't worked out yet whether it will be a road (half) bridge or a railway (half) bridge.

J0hn
The world's going to end very soon --- so I'd better try to get something finished by then

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:12 am

What is not obvious in this picture, is that I have made the bridge hole tapered / foreshortened, to give the impression of the hole going on for ever ( n fact it is just 9 cm deep).
DSCF4705 turn crop.jpg
DSCF4705 turn crop.jpg (333.09 KiB) Viewed 9889 times
Because of the viaduct / three arch bridge in front, you can’t see right up it anyway, so a progressively blacker hole should do the trick.

J0hn

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:54 am

Lovely modelling work.

Is that foam board you're using?

Ian
Ian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:07 am

Beautiful sculpting for the stonework... most convincing.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:27 am

It is Foamboard (foam PVC). Stuck together using the plastic rain water pipe cement from Wickes.

The main boards are 5mm thick and the sticking out bits of ‘stoneware’ were 2mm thick which has been attacked with a Drimmel before sticking on. The stone joints were made using an old electrical screwdriver. The whole of the surface has been dented using a pet stone pressed into the surface.

The viaduct / three arch bridge was done a few years ago using the same material.

I’m just using up the last of the sheets that I paid £1 plus postage for (Size A3). The stuff I recently bought cost £2 including postage but I had to buy 25 sheets.

J0hn

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:35 pm

Thanks for the reply John.

For anyone interested in using foamboard have a look at what Emmanuel Nouaillier has acheived here. http://www.009.cd2.com/members/how_to/nouaillier_a.htm Modelling at it's very best.

Foamboard seems cheap enough to experiment with and looks like a very under rated material. My local Hobbycraft were selling four sheets for £10 last time I went in.

I'll give it a go I think. Another job to get round to!

Ian
Ian

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:18 pm

A lot of what Emmanuel Nouaillier uses is not foam PVC, but a foam encased between two sheets of paper. He does wonders by pealing off one of these sheets of paper and pressing and carving into the foam innards.

Be careful when buying ‘foamboard’, as the foamed PVC is weatherproof whereas some other product also called foamboard are not.

Looking at the picture on the Hobbycraft Website, this looks like the cheap non-weatherproof material. The description says it has a polystyrene core – this is not foamed PVC.

J0hn

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Foamboard seems like a bit of a minefield then. Perhaps this explains why it's not so widely used.

Thanks for the advice.

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:08 am

Very nice detailing John. Love the Viaduct, it’s brilliant.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:30 am

FBGR wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:18 pm A lot of what Emmanuel Nouaillier uses is not foam PVC, but a foam encased between two sheets of paper. He does wonders by pealing off one of these sheets of paper and pressing and carving into the foam innards.

Be careful when buying ‘foamboard’, as the foamed PVC is weatherproof whereas some other product also called foamboard are not.

Looking at the picture on the Hobbycraft Website, this looks like the cheap non-weatherproof material. The description says it has a polystyrene core – this is not foamed PVC.

J0hn
Just echo J0hn's post. when I looked in Hobbycraft, the board they had was the paper faced variety, with a lighter density foam filling. This, however, is the pukka stuff, available in varying thicknesses and colour.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:16 am

Google “PVC foam board” brings up a few suppliers, including some offering standard sizes and the odd deal.

There are a couple of branded varieties, but check that it does say “PVC foam board”.

J0hn

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:15 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:30 am

Just echo J0hn's post. when I looked in Hobbycraft, the board they had was the paper faced variety, with a lighter density foam filling. This, however, is the pukka stuff, available in varying thicknesses and colour.
Thanks Phil… :thumbright:

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:38 pm

New Half Bridge / Retaining walls fixed in position today.
DSCF4706 crop resized.jpg
DSCF4706 crop resized.jpg (394.45 KiB) Viewed 10298 times
Having worked out how to fit these bits in, I am able to work out the length of the last bit of the retaining wall which I will now manufacture.

J0hn

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:22 am

It’s looking very effective with the Viaduct John.

FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by FBGR » Tue May 22, 2018 7:42 pm

I’ve not been keeping up with what has been happening on the FBGR for the past few weeks, so I’d better try and catch up.

The remaining piece of the retaining wall has been made and fitted.
DSCF4805.jpg
DSCF4805.jpg (403.68 KiB) Viewed 10151 times
It all looks a bit clinical at the moment, but hopefully it will look better when some more bits are (eventually) added around it.

The point on the station run-round, with its short siding/head shunt, has been removed and replaced with a curved bit of track.
DSCF4817.jpg
DSCF4817.jpg (386.33 KiB) Viewed 10148 times
This point was inserted into the engine shed second road to provide for a new siding onto the newly redecked (in plastic) section.
DSCF4819.jpg
DSCF4819.jpg (477.53 KiB) Viewed 10148 times
You may also notice that the areas between the engine shed sidings and the main line has been filled. I’m quite pleased with the look of the areas done between the tracks and the retaining wall and will continue with this in other places.

At the moment the new siding is bare onto the plastic decking.
DSCF4813.jpg
DSCF4813.jpg (303.13 KiB) Viewed 10148 times
There has been a long term plan to have a sawmill somewhere on the FBGR, so this may be the place.

On the timber decked section, the cross-over between loops, a little bush that grew into a big bush has been removed and the South fence sections have been refurbished with hairy grass, as has the section between the tracks where the Section House sits.
DSCF4832.jpg
DSCF4832.jpg (426.32 KiB) Viewed 10148 times
DSCF4831.jpg
DSCF4831.jpg (480.66 KiB) Viewed 10148 times
Work is continuing on the drop-in bridge abutments,but I don’t seem to have a photo of this at present.

Lots to do, with refurbishing some of the older covered decking area round the station (the new stuff looks so much better), extending this to cover other areas and finishing off the bridges that had to be hacked about when the plastic decking area was laid.

J0hn

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:16 pm

Neat work as always John, how did you build the fence? Is it wood or foamboard? Looks good.