Well it has arrived at the Woodcock Lodge Workshops of the PMR. Kit Built, hand painted and part finished. It is quite a sorry looking engine.
DSC_0187 by bigjimiflash, on Flickr[/img]Dan mentioned that there were a few steam leaks and it was a non runner. I steamed up and the leaks were quite spectacular. All the bolts on the cylinders were loose as were most of the fixings on the motion.
DSC_0192 by bigjimiflash, on Flickr[/img]These were all tweaked up and with the safety valve blowing there was a little movement. Anyone who has ever played with mechanical things will know the expression "she wants to run" It was apparent that the valve timing was out and possibly the valve gear was out of position as well. There was plenty of steam and nothing seemed terribly wrong.
I let the loco cool down and opened the valve chests. The timing was so far out I am surprised she even moved at all. I had downloaded and printed out the R/H manuals in work the other night when no on was looking so it was a simple job to set the valves correctly.
So with the body removed another trip up the line was in order. This time it ran well, not perfectly as I don't think it has been run in. But better than before.
DSC_0239 by bigjimiflash, on Flickr[/img]There is still a fair bit to do, one of the valve spindles is slightly bent (possibly caused by the cylinders not being assembled properly, as warned about in the manual). I think a new set of gaskets and O-rings will be ordered as there are still leaks, and the regulator has quite a major leak where it joins the boiler.
I am also not convinced that the holes on the con rods have not been opened up to much with a file. RC will be fitted and a repaint is in order. A boiler pressure test is also going to be needed as I don't know anything of its past use or when it was built.
As for a name I think Ol' Bill will be suitable (after the Bruce Bainsfather cartoons, not the local plod!)


