Page 1 of 1
(Tin) Turtle Power.
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:17 pm
by Big Jim
I have made a start on a Protected/Armoured Simplex.
I was planning to build one a year or so ago just before Swift Sixteen announced the kit. This put the idea on hold but the discovery of several packs of Cambrian Models rivets has got me in the mood again.
Not much to show for it so far but the frame and floor are done. I have added the weights that were slung under the buffer beams but I don't know if these were original fitment or added later when they ended up in industry.
I don't know if it will be fully armoured or just protected, it depends how I feel when I have done the ends.
Chassis is an old Lego unit, with the plastic case removed and steel wheels fitted. The wheel base is slightly too small but I don't think anyone would notice.

[/img]

[/img]
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:08 pm
by JMORG
Looks awesome!

Fully armored, then you don't need to put a driver in!

Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:45 pm
by Big Jim
I was thinking exactly the same thing!
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:51 pm
by Big Jim
After realising that I had not taken into account the thickness of the plasticard I have rebuilt the frame and floor.
I am also going to use an Andel chassis as the wheel base of the Lego unit is a bit too small and might cause problems on tight corners with the body overhang.

[/img]

[/img]
My bench looks a little more untidy than normal in the second pic as I had a 'little moment' when I knocked the bottle of cement over.
I gave up soon after this is as the combination of solvent fumes and an empty glass had me retreating back to the house.
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:37 am
by philipy
Big Jim:102234 wrote:
My bench looks a little more untidy than normal in the second pic as I had a 'little moment' when I knocked the bottle of cement over.
I gave up soon after this is as the combination of solvent fumes and an empty glass had me retreating back to the house.
Jim,
You can save a lot of time, trouble, headache and not to mention money by knocking up something like this:
I made this about 30-odd years ago and it was worth every one of the ten minutes it took to construct!
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:58 am
by Maple
my bench is always untidy when im working, i always try and make sure i get it nice and tidy at the end of a session atleast
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:38 pm
by Big Jim
Philip, that looks just the ticket, thanks for the picture.
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:55 pm
by Dannypenguin
Nice work

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:32 pm
by MDLR
Maple:102245 wrote:My bench is always untidy when I'm working, I always try and make sure I get it nice and tidy at the end of a session atleast
My bench is always untidy - FULL STOP!
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:28 pm
by Peter L
Living in a little apartment I don't have a workbench - things tend to get build on sheets of cardboard on the floor - and then everything gets put away. My wife and I have decided that when we upgrade to a house in a few years there will be a "hobby room" my side for trains and her side for scrapbooking and knitting.
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:54 pm
by philipy
Peter L:102285 wrote: there will be a "hobby room" my side for trains and her side for scrapbooking and knitting.
To modify a well known phrase or saying, "Hobbies expand to over-fill the space available" !
