Page 1 of 2

Shed Railway.

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:58 pm
by Graff B.
At last I've made some progress on my shed railway! Hoping to have a complete circuit before year end!
Image

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:00 pm
by Graff B.
Oops forgot to rotate image!

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:12 pm
by steamie1
Always useful to have an indoor railway. I'm glad I did mine..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=derfSki7CjE

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:34 pm
by Peter Butler
steamie1:94472 wrote:Always useful to have an indoor railway. I'm glad I did mine..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=derfSki7CjE
I would love to see your railway but the link doesn't seem to work for me.

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:39 pm
by jay1976
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=derfSki7CjE
that link should work..if not copy and paste the link and first video up is the 1 you want..good idea as well..

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:37 pm
by steamie1
Cheers jay!

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:43 pm
by Peter Butler
The link works now and I enjoyed your video very much. Nice scenics on your line and good set pieces with characters.
Nice work.

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:24 pm
by steamie1
I used roofing felt to help with steam water from the locos and then the track was cemented on top of the felt. Teddy bear fur for grass and some oo type fibre scatter applied with waterproof PVA. A couple of years later and all is well. Hope it all gives energy for your build. Good luck!

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:11 pm
by Graff B.
A bit more progress in the shed! Unfortunately still hav'nt completed the circuit though!

Image

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:12 pm
by Graff B.
Don't know what happened to image thought it did'nt need rotating!

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:12 pm
by steamie1
Looks good and strong...Like Little John,are you pleased with him?

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:09 pm
by Graff B.
Hi Steamie1
Very pleased with Little John. Very well made!

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:22 pm
by Big Jim
You can't beat a good shed. All the fun of the garden in the dry, no weeding, fox droppings or yobbo hedgehogs.

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:53 pm
by Peter Butler
Every man should have a shed, and if that shed also contains a model railway all the better!
My shed houses the terminus and workshop of the B.U.R.P.S. railway and extends through the end wall to the circuit outside and another terminus and steam-up area.

Image
Image
Image
Keep up the good work and let us see progress.

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:42 am
by Soar Valley Light
There are some very nice looking signals there Peter. Are they scratch built or from a kit?

Your pway looks very smart too.

Sadly I have neither the room nor the finance to have a dedicated railway shed, I shall have to use the inspiration you have given me to try and get as close to your standard as I can in the garden.

All the best,

Andrew

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:43 am
by steamie1
Cor!

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:07 am
by bazzer42
I envy you both, my shed is ten foot long and the track enters at floor level, does a loop and back out. It does have carpet so I could recreate Christmas 1970 with tracks on the floor...
I must admit that I have been thinking about a shelf in the garage to build a small harbour scene on, a when I have time job.

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:37 am
by Peter Butler
The signals are kit built and came from Brandbright (I think) as they are at least 35 years old now.
This layout was built for exhibition use and has travelled extensively until retirement about 15 years ago. It has only recently been installed in the shed but still compares well with others.

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:41 am
by laurence703
A shed railway is a good idea I think but unless you have a big shed you won't get much of a run in...
I think if I were allowed free roam of my shed I'd just be able to get a mamod track loop in there... its not big shed.

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:31 pm
by Graff B.
I have a large shed 17x10 but only have use of about half of it as the other half is allocated to domestic use and a workbench. In my old house I had a 8x6 shed and the railway was a bit of a tail chaser! Two more sections to build and lay track on and I'll have a complete circuit. Like your railway Peter!
Image