Page 1 of 1
Snow lands in Kent
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:57 am
by tom_tom_go
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:34 pm
by DolwyddelanLightRail
Now that's just not fair

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:59 pm
by laurence703
You call that snow? I had bout an inch / inch and a half here this morning... thankfully it is no more!!!
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 pm
by Narrow Minded
Now that's nice,
scale snow!

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:28 pm
by DolwyddelanLightRail
laurence703:77496 wrote:You call that snow? I had bout an inch / inch and a half here this morning... thankfully it is no more!!!
You call an inch snow?

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:42 pm
by laurence703
Nice snow... lol
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:35 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
I can see this thread quickly deteriorating into the 4 yorkshiremen's sketch...
I am going to dig out the DVLR's snow plough soon as well. The sky is dark...
Re: Snow lands in Kent
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:20 pm
by sstjc
Although its a nice scale effect thats not a lot of snow tom_tom_go
We had more than that in Hawkinge....
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:24 pm
by St.Michael
Hi there everybody. I just want to know: When you drive gasfired locos in the winter, are there any tricks or important things to think about to achieve good performance? Is mixed gas better than butane?
Where I live we now have -14 C. (I don´t mean to run trains in this temperatur but maybe -5 C or warmer)
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:47 pm
by DolwyddelanLightRail
Mixed gas I find is a must really when it gets cold in winter! (Usually the 30/70 Propane/Butane mix works). Always try to keep the gas warm as well! I usually shove the tin in my hoodie pocket which is underneath a thick jacket normally.
St.Michael:77573 wrote:
Where I live we now have -14 C. (I don´t mean to run trains in this temperatur but maybe -5 C or warmer)
I've run my Edrig (as seen above) when the high daytime temperature was -7 C, and by the time I packed up it was nearing -12. I did need a fire in the loco all the times so that the gas in the tank didn't cool down but other than that I don't really have a different way of running them compared to warmer times of the year!

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:23 am
by IrishPeter
I often run when it is about 0C in winter. I am usually home between 3pm and 6pm so I am usually running as it gets dark and the temperature heads sharply downwards. Running on 70/30 presents no problems, but straight butane usually needs to be fired up in the shed, and only brought out when the gas tank is getting the benefit of warmth from the boiler. Coldest I have run in was about -10C, which was actally less of a problem for me (as opposed to the wee dragons) than running in 35C.
Peter in AZ