MonoPrice Delta and no PC or Laptop.
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:05 pm
Well I've finally joined the club!
My son and daughter bought me a MonoPrice Delta for Christmas. Although this is quite an unusual machine with a couple of limitations it seems to me to be an interesting introduction to this burgeoning extension to our hobby.
Positives:
Comes fully assembled and ready to go.
Very small footprint (10" x 13" x 17" high) including the filament spool hanging on the back.
Appears robust and stable with its all metal construction.
Has a carry handle on the top so along with its size it makes it very portable.
Negatives:
Small build area (4" cylinder).
Quite noisy.
Apparently its bed won't get hot enough to print ABS, but is good for PLA and TPU. Currently I have only used PLA.
As per the title I only use a Chromebook for personal work, and have been using Tinkercad online to design a few pieces (Riks blog has a perfect introduction to this impressively simple and intuitive software).
I have also found the AstroPrint website, which includes a free online slicer which has worked perfectly so far.
My first print was Steve's milk churn which came out with a bit of stringing on the handles, but this cleaned up very easily.
All in all I'm very pleased, and must thank all the contributors to the 3D printing threads for your inspiration.
My son and daughter bought me a MonoPrice Delta for Christmas. Although this is quite an unusual machine with a couple of limitations it seems to me to be an interesting introduction to this burgeoning extension to our hobby.
Positives:
Comes fully assembled and ready to go.
Very small footprint (10" x 13" x 17" high) including the filament spool hanging on the back.
Appears robust and stable with its all metal construction.
Has a carry handle on the top so along with its size it makes it very portable.
Negatives:
Small build area (4" cylinder).
Quite noisy.
Apparently its bed won't get hot enough to print ABS, but is good for PLA and TPU. Currently I have only used PLA.
As per the title I only use a Chromebook for personal work, and have been using Tinkercad online to design a few pieces (Riks blog has a perfect introduction to this impressively simple and intuitive software).
I have also found the AstroPrint website, which includes a free online slicer which has worked perfectly so far.
My first print was Steve's milk churn which came out with a bit of stringing on the handles, but this cleaned up very easily.
All in all I'm very pleased, and must thank all the contributors to the 3D printing threads for your inspiration.