Elmdon Heath Light Railway (was EHLR: A small start)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:55 pm

Brass strip can be had pretty cheaply on fleabay - I bought a coil of it to use for the second lot of shims I fitted to the check rails of my dreaded R1 points.
Even though the R1's work OK now, they still don't "look" right to me, so I'm determined to change them for something wider. The budget won't stretch to buying replacements for them all, so building some (and raising cash from the sale of the R1's I replace) is the way to go - I even have some spare straights and R3 curves which will supply the rails! ;)
Speaking of diamond crossings and fleabay, I was very lucky to snaffle mine - a second hand LGB item on a low "Buy It Now" price that would have cost way more to build :D

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:57 pm

Narrow Minded:73670 wrote:Brass strip can be had pretty cheaply on fleabay - I bought a coil of it to use for the second lot of shims I fitted to the check rails of my dreaded R1 points.
Even though the R1's work OK now, they still don't "look" right to me, so I'm determined to change them for something wider. The budget won't stretch to buying replacements for them all, so building some (and raising cash from the sale of the R1's I replace) is the way to go - I even have some spare straights and R3 curves which will supply the rails!  ;)
Good luck! Not sure I would relish this so much with the heavier rail, nor what I'd do about rail fixings (well, you could use a strip of brass on each sleeper as I did for the diamond, but that sounds a bit more expensive). My soldering iron would struggle with the Code 332 I think! (It's a little 25W Antex, someone will say it ought to be impossible to build points with it, but works fine for me on the Peco code 200, it has a surprising amount of oomph.)
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Unfortunately, as far as I know there aren't any commercially available chairs for LGB code 335 rail :cry:
Fortunately, I have a selection of soldering irons, a soldering gun and a couple of gas torches to try ;)

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:06 am

Those fittings look superb Richard, certainly very well made. Remind me to keep you away from the couple I have built.. :roll: :D
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:47 am

SapperAnt:73392 wrote:Not having enough time due to three churches?
At least the need for a little constructive R & R seems to have been working wonders for your line, Richard. I wish I could say the same for mine. I hide from my, thankfully small, diocese when I am messing around with mine! Given the amount of aggro recently, I should have most of the Skull and Skibbereen modelled in 15mm scale by now...

It reminds me of the time honoured gag about the Rector whose garden backed up to the GNR(I) mainline near Portadown. Every lunchtime he would walk down to the end of the garden to watch the northbound Enterprise go through. When asked why he did this he replied that it was the only thing in the parish that ran without him getting the complaints.

The alternative punchline is 'It's the only thing in this parish the bloody Mothers' Union does not run!

Peter in AZ'
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Not a whole lot to show quite yet, but a little destruction first. The EHLR Mk. 1, originally built to lay out on the patio at our previous house, had the track reclaimed yesterday. ("Can you guess what it used to be yet?")

And just doing a little playing around to see how the "up" end of Llanfair ar y Ffos might fit together. Next up, have a play around outside and get on with more point-building.

Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:39 am

Right, some progress to report! Not outside, but in the garage I've been busily building pointwork like it's going out of fashion. (Anyone interested in a write-up?) This should be sufficient for Llanfair ar y Ffos station, unless I decide to put a headshunt or some trap points on one of the sidings.

The intended track plan is as follows:

(IrishPeter may note some slight Lough Swilly influences...)
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:29 pm

Erm, yes! Tooban Junction unless I am very much mistaken...

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:21 pm

IrishPeter:77554 wrote:Erm, yes! Tooban Junction unless I am very much mistaken...
Good, it works! Not a strict copy, but that end-of-platform scene with the scissors crossing has always very much appealed. (Am I allowed to invent the word "Toobanesque"?)

Quickly laid out for testing...

Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:25 pm

Ah, and a track diagram that shows the "normal" lie of the points, clearly the work of someone who knows how it's done.
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:14 pm

Impressive stuff Richard, and very Toobanesque :D
Can't wait to see it in-situ, next spring?

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:24 pm

TommyDodd:77566 wrote:Ah, and a track diagram that shows the "normal" lie of the points, clearly the work of someone who knows how it's done.
More years ago than I care to remember, I produced all the diagrams for the Talyllyn Railway's General Appendix... Here's the one for HMS Brynglas.

Narrow Minded:77568 wrote:Impressive stuff Richard, and very Toobanesque :D
Can't wait to see it in-situ, next spring?
Glad you like it; yes, can't wait! Small matter of some trackbed needing constructed...
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:46 pm

Mind you, it's amazing just how long the scissors crossing has turned out. (Concerned by this, I measured and it's 20 times the size on my 1:20 plan - phew!)
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:23 pm

hussra:77575 wrote: I measured and it's 20 times the size on my 1:20 plan - phew!
What a coincidence! ;)

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:48 am

Narrow Minded:77577 wrote:
hussra:77575 wrote: I measured and it's 20 times the size on my 1:20 plan - phew!
What a coincidence! ;)
You know how these things are - anyway, it should fit, that's the main thing.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:14 pm

TommyDodd:77566 wrote:Ah, and a track diagram that shows the "normal" lie of the points, clearly the work of someone who knows how it's done.
It would never have occured to me to draw a signal/track diagram any other way, but having seen how things get fouled up in my working life I am not surprised to hear you express delight at something being done properly. Anyhoo, Hussra strikes me as a fairly smart fellow with an eye to detail so we both got the pleasure of looking at a correctly drawn diagram.

I was happily semaphore signalling the Toobanesque layout in my head both LNWR style (as few sigs as the BOT will allow) and NER style (if you can do it signal it).  Gave me a handy half hour's diversion last night.  The latter led to some very nice bracket signals for reversible working through the loop. The former looked a bit more authentically NG. My quirk when I signal anything for NG is non-working distants.

:D

Peter in AZ

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:34 pm

IrishPeter:77600 wrote:I was happily semaphore signalling the Toobanesque layout in my head both LNWR style (as few sigs as the BOT will allow) and NER style (if you can do it signal it).  Gave me a handy half hour's diversion last night.  The latter led to some very nice bracket signals for reversible working through the loop. The former looked a bit more authentically NG.  My quirk when I signal anything for NG is non-working distants.
Yes, I would hope, in time, to signal the station. Would be very interested in comments from both of you on the signalling arrangements - agree that this is a "less is more" sort of situation. This is my best bet so far - assume economic FPLs where required, to save lever count, and fixed distants.

Up trains run from Rhiw Lleidiog to Hendre (and eventually to Gallt Llwyfen) - left to right on this diagram.

If truth be told, up and down probably should be reversed on the branch (which leads to Tanyperth Jn, which is actually between Hendre and Gallt Llwyfen thus providing the continuous run) but it's just going to make it more confusing to do that so I won't.

1 - Up main home
2 - Up branch home, rel by 6
3 - Up starting, rel by 9
4 - Spare
5 - Down loop to main crossover
6 - Up branch to loop crossover
7 - Goods siding points
8 - Loco siding points
9 - Up end points
10 - Down loop starting
11 - Down main starting, rel by 5
12 - Down home

So the pulls for the through routes would be:

Up main (from Rhiw Lleidiog): 9, 1, 3
Up branch (from Tanyperth Jn): 6, 9, 2, 3
Down main (to Rhiw Lleidiog): 5, 12, 11
Down branch (to Tanyperth Jn): 12, 10

which at least avoids any pull-betweens.

Is this looking half-plausible, or are there any better suggestions?
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Would I be right in assuming point indicators or a dolly on the tail rod of the points, rather than full-on Tommy Dodds, for the two trailing sidings? Other than that it looks fine. I would imagine that the signalman uses his flags quite a bit for any 'wrong way' moves.

Peter in AZ

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:47 pm

IrishPeter:77602 wrote:Would I be right in assuming point indicators or a dolly on the tail rod of the points, rather than full-on Tommy Dodds, for the two trailing sidings?  Other than that it looks fine.  I would imagine that the signalman uses his flags quite a bit for any 'wrong way' moves.
Not sure I can even be bothered with point indicators! But yes, there seems no reason to do anything more complex, so long as 10 and 11 lock 7 and 8 both ways.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:00 pm

I have found that point indicators are difficult to do in 15mm so 'the invisible variety' has become the norm on my layouts.  By UK standards your signalling is pretty minimal, but adequate.  

The only thing I think Mr Victor Isle might ping you on is the lack of advanced starters beyond the junction in the 'westbound' direction, and 'east' of the loop points in the eastbund direction.  However, as you are using stacked starters at the platform end, that suggests a late-1880s signalling installation, which gives you an 'out.' Advance starters were not always used then. Provided it got past the inspector then, and there has, in your line's story, been no major messing around with the layout since, you are home free.

Peter in AZ