The Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat May 12, 2012 3:20 pm

Love it! I'll have a blue one please!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue May 15, 2012 9:49 am

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:70695 wrote:Love it! I'll have a blue one please!
Hmmm, I wonder what LYN would look like in blue with a white roof?! :lol:

Anyhow, a progress report on the electrickery - I dug out a Cambrian 12v Speed Controller kit that I bought way back at the last Stoneleigh show...

Image

Assembled the speed controller board WITHOUT fitting the potentiometer, and added a Fwd/Off/Rev switch to the collection of "bits".
The switch will go in the left hand coal bunker, the control board will fit below the safety valves, and the speed control pot' will go in the right hand bunker.

Bits of plasticard have been added ready for the fitting phase.

Image

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue May 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Finale Finally ;)

Here's the loco all wired up,

Image

now, you, like me, might be thinking - "those controls really spoil the look of that loco"
BUT, on the return trip to Llandudno on saturday I hatched a "Cunning Plan" 8)
Did it work?.........

Image

Image

...... and in operation :D

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9deXfMwBuo?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9deXfMwBuo?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Tue May 15, 2012 8:30 pm

Brilliant!

Great soloution

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue May 15, 2012 9:00 pm

an excellent solution!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

DVT Dweller

Post by DVT Dweller » Tue May 15, 2012 9:34 pm

That's fudging brilliant. Well done sir.

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Awesome solution, clever! :)
Thanks
Jack

Pretoria

Post by Pretoria » Tue May 15, 2012 10:39 pm

:hello2: Any other solution would be a pail imitation ! :roll:

User avatar
hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Post by hussra » Wed May 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Most ingenious - filed away in dusty corner of brain, for future reference.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue May 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Thanks once again one and all who have kindly commented on this "Build Blog" :D
It's officially finished now, as LADY MARILYN entered service this evening, rostered for the 18:05 mixed train between Westwood and Loscoe (while I did a bit of weeding! ;) )

Image

I beleive the T.I.T.S film crew were out and about, so there may well be some upcoming footage 8)

So, now what to do? I've just changed the chopper couplings to centre buffer on the two vans, which has put me in a "rolling stock" frame of mind and now it's a decision between converting LYN to battery or completing the Gladstone coach ?!? :roll:

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Tue May 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Fantastic Greg, love the little engine - pose with the 'other' red KS?! :LOL:

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue May 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Lovely looking loco! How did You hide the black plastic pond liner?
Also do you have those spare choppers or are you saving them?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Tue May 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Brilliant! Looks really smart

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed May 23, 2012 11:34 am

pose with the 'other' red KS?!
Your wish is my command :D

Image
How did You hide the black plastic pond liner?
I haven't finished yet, but I'm just extending the ballast "mix" down to just below the water line - kinda like applying icing to a cake except I'd never make a baker! :D
Also do you have those spare choppers or are you saving them?
Sorry Mr B. - I took the easy (and cheaper) option and I've only swapped out the choppers, I've installed B2B6 buffer converters ;)

Image

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Fri May 25, 2012 12:31 am

oOOOOOOoooh yes, there we go! :D They actually complement each other in a way the two red'uns do :)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat May 26, 2012 1:16 am

dougrail:71178 wrote:oOOOOOOoooh yes, there we go! :D They actually complement each other in a way the two red'uns do :)
Yep, they were overheard saying rather nice things to each other! :lol:

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Rain, rain go away - :? (So I can get outside and work on the turnouts!!)

In the meantime, how's this for organised chaos, as I have several projects on the go simultaneously :roll:

Image

Bottom LH corner, a stone wall mould - centre bottom, an ex MDLR coach restoration - centre, a Jacksons Miniatures house kit - bottom RH corner, the Jessie in for strip down & repaint! :lol:

Since the GRS Kerr Stuart build, the Mamod has had a toolbox fitted, and research has continued into my "points problem" - once the conveyor belt started, the new jobs just kept coming;
started the coach while the mould rubber set, started the house while waiting for the paintshop to warm up / dry out, started the Jessie while the house roof set etc :lol:

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:22 pm

How did you do the brickwork and the tiles on the house Greg?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:71615 wrote:How did you do the brickwork and the tiles on the house Greg?
Embossed plastic sheet from Back 2 Bay 6 :D
The brickwork is car body filler with the plastic sheet pressed on to give the impression (pun) of old worn brickwork, while the tiles (and now ridges) are cut to fit and glued in place.
I'm planning an "artex" finish for the main walls for a quick & easy job - the house isn't going anywhere really prominent, it's just going to be another backdrop "fence hider" ;)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:33 pm

May I recommend mixing sand into masonry paint for an artex finish? Its a cop out solution I've often employed when bricks would be more appropriate but are two difficult or the ones I did weren't weather proof.
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests