Mr I.N. Spectre here, Good Evening from Liverpool!
I arrived in this part of the world over a week ago, but unfortunately couldn’t be granted access to the railway (something about the weather and various other issues apparently) but the General Manager kindly put me up in the local hotel. I must say it was a very nice establishment and I was kept well lubricated (I must have something of a reputation!).
I finally received the call I have been waiting for yesterday afternoon, and so this morning I made my way to Charlwood Station.
My arrival was relatively unnoticed, the station being very quiet this early in the morning.
The quietness allowed me to have a good look at some of the rolling stock stabled in the various sidings around the station.
I must say that looking at the state of this particular wagon I did not hold out much hope for the rest of my visit!
The goods facilities seem to be kept well in order, however was later told that there is normally a crane on this goods platform that has been removed for repairs (something about a giant dog, I’m wondering if the locals are a bit strange?). I imagine this crane makes the platform quite cramped, so I find it difficult to believe that it is a safe place of work! Perhaps that is the real reason the crane was removed before my visit?
I then took a look at the signal box. I must say I was not expecting the disarray I found it in, with its leaky roof and damaged lever frame. I later questioned the GM about this and was informed that it was currently not in use as there had been a major rebuild of the station earlier in the year. He assured me that the box would be improved over the winter.
The signal box does contain the Tyrer’s Electric token machine which is used on all of the single line sections of the railway.
I took a brief look at the end of the line to assertion what measures had been put in place to protect the village square. The buffer stop is quite substantial but I must insist that it is fitted with a red lamp in the near future.
I then took a walk over to the locomotive shed, where I found the railway’s main steam fleet ready for inspection. I was shown around by the chief engineer (who also appears to be the GM, unless he has a twin?). The locomotive fleet was well turned out, with a nice work worn look to them. They appeared to be in excellent mechanical condition.
I was surprised to hear that Locomotive No.1 ‘Lady May’ was intended for mixed traffic use, despite not being fitted with the automatic vacuum brake. The CME seemed to be somewhat taken aback by my suggestion that it should be fitted, insisting that the safety chains were sufficient!
Luckily, No.3 is fitted with Vacuum Brakes and appears to be the main passenger locomotive.
I was shown around the newest item of passenger rolling stock which is a very American looking carriage. I was quite impressed with the fit and finish of this vehicle, and yes, it is fitted with vacuum brakes!
(I could probably do with a bit more headroom!)
I had been promised a cab ride along the railway and had hoped to be taken in No.1, however some sort of issue with an oil can and some concerns that I might melt on the footplate meant that this had to be abandoned (on the latter point, I have no idea what they mean, it’s not like I’m made of plastic or something, is it?).
Instead, I was taken out on No.9, the railways newest diesel locomotive. Now when I was told I would be travelling by diesel I had assumed a small simplex or similar would turn up. I was quite surprised when such a large loco appeared!
[video]
https://youtu.be/O88d2_h4tzI[/video]
Now the ride was fairly uneventful, however some of the greenery gets a little close for comfort!
I was keen to take a look at rail wear patterns on the sharp bends approaching Top-End. This does appear to be quite severe, but I was assured by the permanent way manager (another bloke who looks very much like the GM and CME...) that rails are turned and replaced regularly. He also told me in great detail about the improvements they have made to the track around here over the last few years, which have greatly reduced problems. I must recommend that check rails are fitted, particularly where there is a sudden change in direction.
I did NOT appreciate the diesel drivers attempts to sneak up on me....
Next was a visit to the new (unfinished) top end station.
Facilities appear to be good, however I was a little dismayed to find that some of the platform edging has been damaged already. Again the giant dog was mentioned, I’m putting that down to too much whisky.
I was then taken over to the wharf, where I was able to inspect some more rolling stock and some new sidings.
Somewhat alarmingly, No.2 siding does not have a buffer stop, leaving a rather large drop unguarded! I am assured that this siding is currently clipped and scorched out of use, but was not shown said clip or scotch.
The level crossing leading to the wharf needs proper signage too.
It was soon time to continue, so we rebounded No.9;
I asked a number of times where this door leads, but was told it was a secret. I suspect it’s where they keep the scotch, or the giant dog...
Going back to signage, some limited clearance signs are definitely in order here!
Back at Charlwood I was given more time to look over the locomotives, starting with No.9 ‘Lord of the Isles’
Apparently this locomotive was built for the BTC, as a potential way of keeping the BR narrow gauge lines open. I must admit I am somewhat fond of it, the locals assure me that it is a ‘hellfire machine’? I shall take their word for it.
The steam fleet;
I was then handed to the S&T manager (he definitely bears a passing resemblance to somebody, but I can’t quite put my finger on it) who showed me detailed plans for the signalling of the line that will hopefully be installed next year. These will work alongside the ETS system, not replace it;
I was also shown some drawings of a potential extension;
Overall the visit was a most enjoyable one, and I see no major reason to close the railway down. I must however insist that the recommendations made within this report be implemented within the next year, or there will be consequences!
Yours,
Mr I.N. Spectre.
(P.s. I think I may have gone a little overboard, Rob)