The Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Really excellent, that diamond crossing looks like part of a yard layout in one of the pics so doesn't need hiding!
I do like those carriages, where did you get them from again?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks Mr.B  ;)
Mr. Bond of the DVLR:67043 wrote: I do like those carriages, where did you get them from again?
They're from GRS - "Freelance W&L Open Balcony Coaches", though I got mine secondhand and refurbished them.
Basically they're short versions of their W&L coach kit, using two of the three side panels plus the ends and shorter roof from the Pickering coach.
They're handy for my line with its small footprint and tighter than desired curves  ;)

When I get round to it, I'd like to replace the basic balcony railings with something more W&L'esque.

Pretoria

Post by Pretoria » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Narrow Minded:67042 wrote:I was refering to this Tit,

Image

and as Bill Oddie once famously said (and upset a bunch of schoolkids) "There's no such thing as Seagulls - it's a Gull!"  ;)
Image Now I feel like one too ! Image

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:26 pm

Pretoria:67045 wrote:
Narrow Minded:67042 wrote:I was refering to this Tit,

Image

and as Bill Oddie once famously said (and upset a bunch of schoolkids) "There's no such thing as Seagulls - it's a Gull!"  ;)
Image    Now I feel like one too !       Image
Not a lot wrong wi'that lad :toothy8:

Pretoria

Post by Pretoria » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Narrow Minded:67047 wrote:Not a lot wrong wi'that lad  :toothy8:
Image Thanks son.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:38 pm

I've been wanting to try making some walling out of "sliced" air blocks for a while - just to see if I could :roll:

This took less than five minutes..........

Image

User avatar
Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:56 pm
Location: Stockton

Post by Steven.T » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Looks alright, will be much better when mother nature takes over!

DLRdan

Post by DLRdan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:10 pm

Looks like a good time was had by all. Only one question remains, have you tried it yet ?

thecsmann

Post by thecsmann » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:54 pm

is that some 1 points i see there ? what rad do you use on your main line?

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:09 pm

thecsmann:67255 wrote:is that some 1 points i see there ? what rad do you use on your main line?
At the mo' they're all R1 points :cry: The "mainline" has R2 & R3 curves.
The points on the mainline will be changed to larger radius at some time in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:35 pm

Since today is the 29th of February and that only comes around once every four years, I thought I'd run something (during a hectic schedule :roll: ) to celebrate the day.
What better than Ogwen having just returned from DLRDan's ministerings & modifications!

Her new driver is seen here 'on shed' (along with the coal greedy I'd just fitted), prior to his route familiarisation turn.......

Image

and passing the Westwood 'Down Starter' newly installed by S&T.

Image

The loco behaved impeccably (as expected) thanks to Dan, and is now back on the Loco Roster as a "Really Useful Engine" :D

DLRdan

Post by DLRdan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:04 pm

Glad you are happy Greg, hope she gives many hours of service.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:22 pm

DLRdan:67328 wrote:Glad you are happy Greg, hope she gives many hours of service.
Happy? - I'm over the moon and really can't thank you enough! :D
You've done a first rate job on her and are hereby bestowed the title "Mamod Master".
Prior to seeing what you do with these loco's, I honestly believed that the only way to really tame them was with all manner of fancy mechanical add-ons and engineering mods.

The 1st & 3rd wicks were reluctant to stay lit today - I'll drop the burner out and re-wick all three pots tomorrow

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:50 pm

Hmmm, tried re-potting the wicks with only minimal success :cry:
So, I went back to basics and referred to the "Introduction To Spirit Firing" to see if I'd fallen into any bad practices and was c0&£!ng it up!!??
Didn't seem to be doing anything wrong, but all three wicks still wouldn't stay lit!

Any suggestions gratefully received! ;)

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:58 pm

If you get really stuck you can borrow my meths burner, that'll get Ogwen steaming very well :lol:

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:07 pm

DolwyddelanLightRail:67340 wrote:If you get really stuck you can borrow my meths burner, that'll get Ogwen steaming very well :lol:
Ta, but I don't think I could afford the meth's bill! :lol:
That, plus the fact that I'm getting older (my birthday this week! :cry: ) and a ground level line with all the bending to keep topping-up more or less rules it out. ;)

Sir Haydn has kindly offered the loan of his burner for me to try out and make comparisons, so I think it's a case of taking it from there :D

I might be after a length of "Wonder Wick" to try though ;)

DLRdan

Post by DLRdan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:33 pm

Thats very interesting as I didnt have that issue. A few things i can think of, wick is too tight in the tube, wick isnt touching the fuel, water in the system or that weird wick that melts. The end wick not staying lit is quite common as that means the first two are pushed in too far, the first one not staying lit is one of the other problems. I use wonder wick (i think) got it from the mamod forum. Its a bit like areil cable, a braided outside and straight inside. Takes a little setting up but once you've done it thats it for a long time.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:01 pm

Hiya Dan, thanks for the assistance - I didn't realise I had a problem at first since I was so taken with the loco's overall performance and on day 1, I couldn't try "long" runs because of SWMBO tasks ;)
DLRdan:67342 wrote:Thats very interesting as I didnt have that issue. A few things i can think of, wick is too tight in the tube,
Tried that and I've re-potted the wicks - an easy push fit in the tubes with no resistance, but don't fall out if you invert it.
wick isnt touching the fuel,
The wicks are well down in the tubes with about 3mm showing over the tops and all three draw meths, (colouring the tops purple), when I fill the tank (off the loco)
water in the system
Definitely no chance water has got in there and again, off the loco the flames are a nice pear-shape with the blue cone inside a nice yellow flame.
or that weird wick that melts.
I'm using the glass fibre wick supplied by Dream Steam - inspecting the blackened ends of the wicks isn't showing any signs of melting.
The end wick not staying lit is quite common as that means the first two are pushed in too far
I've got all three pushed down to the bottom of the tubes!
I'll try lifting the first two a smidge in the morning and see how we go ;)

The other thing that's come to mind is the "filler tube" - I know that you didn't use it, so maybe it's causing a "vacuum effect" in the tank and restricting the flow?? Another thing to try in the morning 8)
I use wonder wick (i think) got it from the mamod forum. Its a bit like areil cable, a braided outside and straight inside. Takes a little setting up but once you've done it thats it for a long time.
Is that the same stuff that James has got? If so, it's what I was on about, but I've lost the link to the supplier :roll:

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Narrow Minded:67343 wrote:
or that weird wick that melts.
I'm using the glass fibre wick supplied by Dream Steam - inspecting the blackened ends of the wicks isn't showing any signs of melting.

I use wonder wick (i think) got it from the mamod forum. Its a bit like areil cable, a braided outside and straight inside. Takes a little setting up but once you've done it thats it for a long time.
Is that the same stuff that James has got? If so, it's what I was on about, but I've lost the link to the supplier :roll:
The dream steam stuff isn't great I found (that's what caused all the fires I had)

and wonder wick is most certainly the stuff I've got! I'm just re wicking Britomart at the moment, and those wicks lasted a good few months!

and is this what your looking for:

http://www.mfsteam.com/

;)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:58 pm

Thanks (again) James - I lost the last one because of how quick the inbox fills up on the PM's :roll:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests