The DVLR Mark 2

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Keith S » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:00 pm

invicta280:103195 wrote:
Keith S:103187 wrote:
Somewhere in the recesses of YouTube there is a video of a Bertie with a centrifugal mechanism from an old telephone mounted in a tender, and a two-tone chuff pipe. It works very well indeed. It's not a new idea but it keeps resurfacing and I've always been curious about it.
Is it thisun'?

http://youtu.be/nMV8RUP765M

Actually after reading the comments Im not so sure...

Sorry for interrupting  :oops:
Yes, that's the one. Although, also reading the comments, maybe there isn't a telephone device in that one; maybe it's just expert driving.

In any case it's one of my favourite railway videos. The scenery is beautiful and the Bertie is nicely finished... couldn't get more British (from my North American perspective)... much the same as the DVLR is becoming as it matures. Hopefully next year I shall get started on MY railway... I agree the "make and mend" atmosphere is something I will be trying to emulate!

Also sorry for interrupting!

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 676
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: kent england

Post by invicta280 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:49 pm

I especially liked the 4th picture down- the guard gazing off into the distance, the driver looking attentively up' the road', the trees in the background, the lush growth of MYOB being grazed by the pony- a real bucolic narrow guage scene.

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:47 am

Thank you all for the lovely comments, bucolic and run down has always been the aim so to hear those words is great!
Here is the momentum wagon on test with River Deben - no more stalling on the corners and flying down the straights!
Several trains where used in the test and this video is a load spliced together. Coincidentally it was also Dom's first firing turn - I think he managed quite well. He even drove the loco to Snape Street after Rene fell off in a drunken stupor. Took me about 5 minutes to find him slumped up against a tree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtIS5Ev ... e=youtu.be
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Chris Bird

Post by Chris Bird » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:39 am

That is excellent project Zach! As you know, I am a fan of such devices and I love the way you have modified this toy to achieve the effect.

Love the film - Deben Valley has never sounded better :D
Cheers
Chris

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:48 pm

Thank you!
Mixed news from the Deben Valley:
Woodbridge is finally getting finished. Bricks are a labour of love and are achieved by using exterior filler (the powder, self mix type - its a lot cheaper!), splodged on and then smoothed with a pointing trowel. I then scribed bricks in using the trowel and a straight edge of 5mm thickness to get the horizontal lines. Then a ruler and a flat screwdriver were used for the verticle ones. Each brick is about 10x5mm - not quite scale but they were the easiest size to make and when it comes to this mind numbing task, ease is by far the most important thing. Doors and windows were from Peterborough member to member stand and where 50p
Image
The platform edgeing was also bought at Peterborough and to get it to stick to the morter I used to make the smooth platform top I drilled some holes in the resin castings, screwed some small screws in then wound a twist of wire round the lot to give the cement something to grab.
Image
The bad news is that whilst I was out a dog (not my one) was allowed into the garden during a thunderstorm unattended. It has dug up the corner of the garden, flattened the farm fence. Taken up all the MYOB growth, ruined the sea wall at Aldeburgh and crumbled the walling along the line. There is also mud everywhere. Not terribly happy. Here's the crew of the evening coprolite who discovered it serveying the scene in silence.
Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
philipy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6059
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: South Northants

Post by philipy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:52 am

Thats terrible about the dog, Zac, just when the railway was looking so good. My commiserations.
Philip

Toby the Tram

Post by Toby the Tram » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:23 pm

Damnation. Keep your spirits up.

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Sorry to hear that, some dogs and thunder don't mix. We have one but he hides under the bed, dread to think what the stray would have done inside...
I hope it's simple repairs although the growing season is largely gone.

User avatar
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm
Location: North West Leicestershire

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:33 pm

That really is tough Zach. I've been meaning all week to post my congratulations on how well established things were starting to look. I trust the dog and it's owner have been put straight!

The fact is though, what's done is done. What matters now is how you go forwards from here. Is any of the damage recoverable? The growing season may well be coming towards it's close but that doesn't mean there will be no recovery at all. Plants are still growing and if the predicted warm spell in a couple of weeks comes off there will be chance for any replanting or new planting to establish itself before Winter. That will give it a head start come Spring and by then things should be looking as they were B.C. (Before Canine).

It's amazing how resilient some plants can be so I hope you can recover some of the uprooted stock.

Keep smiling, even if it IS in the face of adversity!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:00 pm

Well, not sure what else to do in the circumstances I made a documentary about the clear up operation... Silver linings and all that...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chR3qAM ... e=youtu.be
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5721
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Zach, that was just brilliant!!! I love the combination of music and narration in that style. It captures the moment perfectly.
Excellent film. Top marks that man.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:01 am

Cracking video Zac love the early style, Keep up the good work.

kandnwlr

Post by kandnwlr » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:47 am

Excellent period piece of work. Good show! :D

User avatar
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1511
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:50 am
Location: North Yorkshire

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:47 am

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:103414 wrote:Well, not sure what else to do in the circumstances I made a documentary about the clear up operation... Silver linings and all that...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chR3qAM ... e=youtu.be
I say. Good show old man. I rather enjoyed that. Top ho!

Phil
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:33 pm

The MV was again in use in that video and instead of 5 takes for each shot there were only one or two. Just weighed it, it weighs 620 grams for anyone who might be interested.
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 676
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: kent england

Post by invicta280 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Frightfully good film old chap! Enjoyed that :)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:32 pm

Bit of things going on in the Deben Valley
More roof felt going on and building work in woodbridge - really trying to get this finished
Image

New station platform fencing.
Image

New bit of tram track at Aldeburgh
Image
The flangeways are a bit large but I'd rather leave them larger and therefore easier to clean
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

kandnwlr

Post by kandnwlr » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:37 am

Woodbridge Station´s looking good!

User avatar
Andrew
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3422
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:44 pm

kandnwlr:104275 wrote:Woodbridge Station´s looking good!
I agree! I was just thinking ho the brick colour reminded me of Cambridge and Audley End etc, then realised that's your neck of the woods anyway, so I guess they would be that colour... Very nice...

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:59 pm

A lot of houses around here have buff bricks on the fronts then red bricks for the rest of the structure - the white brick was more expensive so mostly only used for embellishment or for the bits which could be seen. Woodbridge station is meant to be an impressive market town station which really says something of the initial intentions of the railway builders for the little line. A bit of former grandeur perhaps glimpsed on this crumbling dysfunctional line.
Anyway, enough of that.
Roads. The road from aldeburgh leads to a short stretch by the River Alde with a turn off to "Sandlings Farm" then round the corner up and over the line on a bridge (which will be getting sides soon) and off into the distance (The corner of the garden). The back roads here are winding for no aparent reason and take 90 degree corners when you least expect it. Quite a few are little better than sand tracks with plants growing in the middle. I wanted to capture the Suffolk bridleways with this road and so there are gooves from the farm carts, horse shoe marks and, echem, leavings all modeled. All I need are the hedges to over grow a little and a confusing sign post and maybe a horse and cart and this part of the line is sorted.
Image
Sometimes I feel I go a little far with the detail...
Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests