The Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:44 pm

Ahha! It all makes sense, there's alot of running track there! I didn't even know you had a tunnel!

Brilliant, do you opperate end to end (westwood to loscoe and back again) or just round and round?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:08 pm

The whole line is a lot bigger than I thought! I hope your going to install signalling on the diamond crossing, otherwise I can see it being interesting if there's two trains on the line at once :lol:

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:17 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:66860 wrote:Ahha! It all makes sense, there's alot of running track there! I didn't even know you had a tunnel!

Brilliant, do you opperate end to end (westwood to loscoe and back again) or just round and round?
Cheers Mr B. ;)

Riddings Tunnel has both function and form - there are a lot of bird feeders festooned in the tree above it, and it stops the problem of seed landing in the 2ft and growing! (stops the guano too! ;) )

Theoretical operation is end-to-end, using the loops at Westwood and Loscoe to run around for the return trip.
The short section of track between the two is supposed to go off to "Bagthorpe" (Colliery) and "Langley Mill" (M.R. interchange) from the respective stations.
Lazy Day running is just roundy round, but a simple timetable can be worked departing Westwood, one circuit before stopping at Riddings, another circuit before calling at Codnor and yet another circuit before arriving at Loscoe. - Run around and do the same for the return :D (and add in "The Works" traffic to taste ;) )

It's all looking "raw" after the remodelling and I can't wait for the Spring when it should start to settle (Hark at me! Not that long ago "I couldn't wait" to start running trains again!! :lol: )

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:11 pm

DolwyddelanLightRail:66861 wrote:The whole line is a lot bigger than I thought! I hope your going to install signalling on the diamond crossing, otherwise I can see it being interesting if there's two trains on the line at once :lol:
The crossover is the biggest compromise I had to make to get the extra track length :cry:
There's not enough room for sensible gradients to install what would have been a more prototypical (or easier to disguise) spiral, but I hope a bit of planting and some more "smoke & mirrors" will hide it. :D
The plan is for the signalling blocks to be centered on each of the station/halts - purely cosmetic, but hopefully logical ;)

User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Keith S » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:09 pm

The buildings in your little town (Westwood?) are really among the best I've seen. It really doesn't take very much imagination at all to believe some of those pictures are the real thing.

User avatar
Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm
Location: Kent

Post by Gremlin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:18 pm

great pics and video, could be an old cine film from a 1960's holiday, good job ;)

Pendo Pilot

Post by Pendo Pilot » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Lovely video mate & a lot easier to work out where everything is than your written description of "8". ;)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:52 pm

Pendo Pilot:66884 wrote:Lovely video mate & a lot easier to work out where everything is than your written description of "8".  ;)
I'd have thought that with your new "nautical connections" you'd prefer pieces of "8" ;) :lol:

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated! :D

LMS-Jools

Post by LMS-Jools » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Very Nice :D

Pretoria

Post by Pretoria » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:10 pm

:(

Despite your unwarranted, and dare I suggest bordering on rude, comment on my post "a real garden railway"   :roll:   I have to express my continuing delight at the excellent presentation of your delightful garden railway and brilliant photography -- I especially rate the true-to-scale shrubery and planting -- and how do you grow moss to 16mm to the foot ??

:wave:


ps  Image
Last edited by Pretoria on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks again for the feedback guys ;)

I have to admit that a lot of the appearance is down to "smoke & mirrors" (ie angle and focus) :lol: and as for "ups & downs" Keith, I've managed to ease a couple of gradients from the old layout - and introduced some more with the new layout! :D

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:17 pm

And at last - the line is re-opened to traffic!! :D

Sir Haydn kindly came over and ran the first "service train" as the W&LLR was officially declared "Back To Normal" :D

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/25AszDlwTio?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/25AszDlwTio?ve ... n_GB&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Last edited by Narrow Minded on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 676
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: kent england

Post by invicta280 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:04 am

Lovely! This is one of those lines that shows what 16mm is all about.
Love the buildings along the alley,especially the tin tabernacle, love the moss, the planting out.
I'll enjoy a repeat viewing of that tomorrow.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:43 am

Thank-you sir, you're very kind!

Here's a few photo's taken during the day;
the scenes On Shed earlier in the morning

Image

Image

The T.I.T.S assembled on the platform at Westwood

Image

Other enthusiasts turned out for the event

Image

A busy scene at Westwood later in the day

Image

The visiting loco's from the Sherwood Oaks Light Railway, CADER IDRIS

Image

and LADY GAGA

Image

Just to show how mild the weather was - this Ladybird was "out & about" - in February!

Image

and Guinevere came out to meet Uncle Matt  

Image

- and yep, that's the whole garden behind them, now who says that you need a lot of space for a garden railway! ;)

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:23 am

Brilliant!

It was a lovely Afternoon, the sun didnt stop shining!

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:44 am

Really enjoyed watching the vid Greg! Spot on! :D

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:58 pm

A few pics from me

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:41 pm

There's some cracking photo's there Matt, and it's nice seeing someone elses perspective :D

Felt like I had to do something today, so first off indulged in a bit of whimsey (you can't beat a bit of whimsey ;) )

Two resin cast book-ends from the charity shop for a quid placed side by side to form a "beer garden" behind a fancy bird house for 30 bob......

Image

.....and Loscoe gets a new drinking establishment for £2.50 and NO work involved! :D

Image

I finally installed the messroom at Brinsley Lodge too,

Image

looks like nobody's in and that Bluetit is getting the cream! ;)

Image

Pretoria

Post by Pretoria » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Narrow Minded:67039 wrote:looks like nobody's in and that Bluetit is getting the cream! ;)

Image
:shock: Looks more like a seagull to me.

Crackin photos though Grommit !

:wave:

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Pretoria:67041 wrote:
Narrow Minded:67039 wrote:looks like nobody's in and that Bluetit is getting the cream! ;)

Image
:shock:   Looks more like a seagull to me.

Crackin photos though Grommit !

:wave:
I was refering to this Tit,

Image

and as Bill Oddie once famously said (and upset a bunch of schoolkids) "There's no such thing as Seagulls - it's a Gull!"  ;)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests