The Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:37 pm

dougrail:58426 wrote:I see a consist of mostly ex-DougStar Works parts at the moment  - wondered where I'd seen SB's v1 steel rods before  :lol:

:D Actually the smokebox, frames, rear drag bar(modified), meths burner and cylinders at the mo'!
John Prescot smokebox dart. Dream Steam beams, Roundhouse buffers, wheelsets & 45m conversion kit, pistons &glands & endcaps. CVLR reverser & Lubricator. ;)

You don't have a spare meths tank "bung" do you?

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Fraid I don't chap :S I wondered if there was something missing...!!!

I notice the use of a CVLR reverser block too. :) Hope the one I sent wasn't duff? :shock:

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Hope the one I sent wasn't duff?
Not at all - in fact it looks in better overall condition than the one I've fitted. It's just that the lubricator has been soldered in place - no point disturbing it until it's been tested ;)

Now, once the combustion chamber and body parts go on, it'll certainly take on more of a Dougstar apearance (but it'll have to wait until I'm back from Bonny Scotland the noo) 8)

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:55 pm

Well here's hoping chap...!!!

Any chance that a boiler band could be provided for a PPS Janet-boilered loco in the future? ;)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:36 am

Boiler Bands on their way! ;)

Meanwhile, here's a progress report on the Mamod build; the boiler is now on and piped up ready for steam testing (I just need to practice the fine art of burner tube stuffing and wick trimming - I've cut down a bolt head with a matching thread for the filler bung :D )
Image

I've introduced the cab back-sheet to Mr Cutting Disc and here the cab is temporarily in place to see how it'll finish up. A bit of tidying around the paintwork, spec rings and handrails to complete!
Image

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:25 am

I really like the cabsheet! Maybe thats what I should have done to Britomart instead :roll: :lol:

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:55 am

DolwyddelanLightRail:58724 wrote:I really like the cabsheet! Maybe thats what I should have done to Britomart instead :roll: :lol:
Ta! - I never liked the open cab conversion on my original Mamod, and while I was sat looking at the back of the Caradoc the idea suddenly struck me that it'd be a straight-forward mod ;)

Anyhow, today's turned out to be a bit of a "Loco Day" here on the W&LLR :D
No.6 OGWEN at Brinsley Lodge for steam trials......

Image

The spec rings are fitted, along with a set of IP handrails. The cylinder covers will be left off for easy access during trials and running-in!

Image

Now then............. 24 hours after despatch, a new arrival to the W&LLR fleet, No.7 CHATSWORTH stands at Westwood :D

Image

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:51 pm

Was this the one on ebay yesterday if it was then you soon got that!! Was a buy it now I know it was soon snapped up!

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:35 pm

METHSSNIFFER:58729 wrote:Was this the one on ebay yesterday if it was then you soon got that!! Was a buy it now I know it was soon snapped up!
'Twas indeed on EvilBay, but no - this was an auction that ended on sunday while I was away in Scotland. I'd forgotten that I'd even put a bid on it! :oops:
As I recall it wasn't listed under either SM32 or 16mm, which would no doubt have attracted more bids ;)

It's virtually mint, two rail pick-up with no marks and very little "tyre" wear - and I already have the battery pack, speed controller and switches (plus some lead weight "ballast" 8) ).
All I need to get hold of is a sound unit and a set of nameplates to fit under the cab side windows (about 3.5mm long Matt :lol: )

I've been after one for ages at a decent price and patience has paid off! No.7 CHATSWORTH is the Westwood & Loscoe alter ego of the Welshpool & Llanfair No.7 CHATTENDEN :lol:
(Yes, I know Essel do one, but times is 'ard!)

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:50 pm

Very nice. I sooooooooooo want a baguley but finding them cheap is difficult, nearly got the one of ebay yesterday, but then thought I better save for elsecar!
Thanks
Jack

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:14 pm

Well well well...guess this answers my questions about the loco updates in our PMs ;E She's lovely - a far cry from her earlier days, shall we say....

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Nice one Greg!

You'll soon have more locos than me. Mind you these little nottinghamshire lines need all the motive power they can get!

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:54 pm

Just fitted a "filler pipe" for the meths tank - I'd gotten usd to the convenience of the one on my old loco which I'd just pushed through the rubber bung vent hole!
This tank has a threaded filler hole (AWOL cap), so I found a bolt with a matching thread in my bitsbox and cut it to length, went back to the 'box for a length of pipe, drilled through the centre of the bolt for a tight "friction fit", added a suitable bend and Bob's your aunties significant other! ;)

Image

Image

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:47 pm

I like it. I definitely like what you've done with that down-and-out kit chap. :)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:56 pm

The failing light has stopped play out in the garden :cry:
I've been excercising my "O level" woodwork qualifications building a cat run ;) - but also had the initial steam test for the Mamod.......

FAILED! :oops:

The steam pipe to lubricator joint is leaking like a kitchen draining impliment. Serves me right for being a twonk and trusting the "push fit" and not using a bit of plumbers tape :roll:

Yes folks, it's Mamodology time again - I wondered why I couldn't live without one!? :lol:

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:07 pm

Narrow Minded:58743 wrote: The steam pipe to lubricator joint is leaking like a kitchen draining impliment. Serves me right for being a twonk and trusting the "push fit" and not using a bit of plumbers tape :roll:
No matter how hard you try, it just won't work well without some PTFE tape or something simular, Britomart's one is covered in the stuff :lol:

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:10 pm

DolwyddelanLightRail:58744 wrote:
Narrow Minded:58743 wrote: The steam pipe to lubricator joint is leaking like a kitchen draining impliment. Serves me right for being a twonk and trusting the "push fit" and not using a bit of plumbers tape :roll:
No matter how hard you try, it just won't work well without some PTFE tape or something simular, Britomart's one is covered in the stuff :lol:
It's just like being back in the Army, where everything was held together with gaffer-tape :lol:

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:35 pm

It be soldering time??

Not sure what you're doing wrong though chaps - a new loco I have, Phantom is a standard MSS with the deadleg luber and she runs like a charm! :shock:

Pendo Pilot

Post by Pendo Pilot » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:13 am

Love No 7, been after one for ages as well. All on back burner these days but one day I will. Mamod is coming on well, love the open back sheet idea. Oh & good luck on the steam chest/lubricator/steam feed setup... :roll:

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:44 pm

Pendo Pilot:58778 wrote:Oh & good luck on the steam chest/lubricator/steam feed setup... :roll:
Here's the problem with reverser..............

Image

Your old reverser is the one on the left, you can see where the channels haven't been machined out properly - when you stick it in reverse, it partly blocks the steam inlet/exhaust ports  :?  

The ports on the block are clean as whistles (literally - I just tried 'em :lol: ) so I don't understand why it's leaking so badly. I'll try a stronger spring on the replacement reverser  ;)
Last edited by Narrow Minded on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests