The DVLR Mark 2
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
-
Narrow Minded
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
Errr, not quite. Brace yourselves I think I've gone mad...
(Well MaddER at least...)
I was pretty sick and tired of my line looking like this:

so I removed the leaves and was shocked by how much better it looked!



So I had a truck full of leaves hanging around...

And an idea struck me...
I wonder....



16mm scale leaves on the line!



Much better!
(Well MaddER at least...)
I was pretty sick and tired of my line looking like this:

so I removed the leaves and was shocked by how much better it looked!



So I had a truck full of leaves hanging around...

And an idea struck me...
I wonder....



16mm scale leaves on the line!



Much better!

The railway which people forgot
(to build)
-
Big Al
- 90733
- Driver

- Posts: 1955
- Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
- Location: West Yorkshire
- Contact:
- Sir Clothem Cap
- Driver

- Posts: 1708
- Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
- Location: Hampshire
- Contact:
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
My Engine shed has been in use on and off for a long time and still it didn't have any windows (I made some and never got round to fitting them) and River Butley didn't fit in (too tall)
Decided it was high time to do something about it. Using an AnDel brick sheet I raised it up a bit. Painted the bricks. Fitted the windows and planked it back in place. Now with hinges for the doors, valensing and a bit of interior decoration it will look a treat.
I have "Hidden" the loco depot away from the running track so that there is more "main line" and less "station approach"
From the side

The windows

From the "main line" this is all you can see
And from the front...

A little bit ANLR I thought...
Decided it was high time to do something about it. Using an AnDel brick sheet I raised it up a bit. Painted the bricks. Fitted the windows and planked it back in place. Now with hinges for the doors, valensing and a bit of interior decoration it will look a treat.
I have "Hidden" the loco depot away from the running track so that there is more "main line" and less "station approach"
From the side

The windows

From the "main line" this is all you can see
And from the front...

A little bit ANLR I thought...

The railway which people forgot
(to build)
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
Plenty more plans layed down for next year, got quite a few things to change...

This corner will become a rocky cutting with trees and MYOB etc. It will run behind the low relief buildings of Woodbridge. I am planning to use mirros to make woodbridge look bigger.

Aldeburgh station is going to move back into the flower bed so that I can have a beach again and also to remove the "cliff hanger" look.
The Mound in the corner is going!

This was made from all the soil dug out from the track foundations and river and has never worked. It will become gently undulating farm land with two fields, one for the sheep and one for crops of some sort. I envisage that the fence from the field will run along side the railway. If there is one aspect of Suffolk I haven't considered representing it is the agriculture and I think that is important. That doe mean the cutting will have to go but that should make it much easier to access the locomotives that stall on the corner and make it much friendlier to visiting steam locos.

I'll miss Terracotta cutting as I think its an interesting bit of the line but it does cause access problems and I don't take photos of it very much as I can't get to it easily. I'll be reusing the terracotta chunks in the cutting to be made on the corner near woodbridge so that will be fine!
These improvements should make the railway look nicer. You will also be able to see the train progressing through the landscape more, I did try to break it up with obsticles such as the mound in the way so you can't see the train all the time but with such a small railway I think I miss out on actually watching the trains because of it.
Anyway thats the plan for next year
To start us off I got 5 miniature christmass trees going very cheaply at Budgens, Pound each. Bargain!


This corner will become a rocky cutting with trees and MYOB etc. It will run behind the low relief buildings of Woodbridge. I am planning to use mirros to make woodbridge look bigger.

Aldeburgh station is going to move back into the flower bed so that I can have a beach again and also to remove the "cliff hanger" look.
The Mound in the corner is going!

This was made from all the soil dug out from the track foundations and river and has never worked. It will become gently undulating farm land with two fields, one for the sheep and one for crops of some sort. I envisage that the fence from the field will run along side the railway. If there is one aspect of Suffolk I haven't considered representing it is the agriculture and I think that is important. That doe mean the cutting will have to go but that should make it much easier to access the locomotives that stall on the corner and make it much friendlier to visiting steam locos.

I'll miss Terracotta cutting as I think its an interesting bit of the line but it does cause access problems and I don't take photos of it very much as I can't get to it easily. I'll be reusing the terracotta chunks in the cutting to be made on the corner near woodbridge so that will be fine!
These improvements should make the railway look nicer. You will also be able to see the train progressing through the landscape more, I did try to break it up with obsticles such as the mound in the way so you can't see the train all the time but with such a small railway I think I miss out on actually watching the trains because of it.
Anyway thats the plan for next year
To start us off I got 5 miniature christmass trees going very cheaply at Budgens, Pound each. Bargain!


The railway which people forgot
(to build)
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
Remember the mound which used to form up "Catchit" Tunnel?

It's gone!

I then mocked up a town with bits of brick sheet to see how the buildings would fit together AND leave space for the quarry branch behind without the two separate parts "Knowing" that each other is there...

Warehouses next to the Tide mill

Then there'll be a street here with the Pub and my house on it probably

All of the above is 2D with the exception of:

The little alley way goes back to reveal another street the "Thoroughfare" which will only be

This long with one end blocked up by a delivery wagon or something and the other end with a mirror I think.
It will add Depth

Then it was a matter of positioning the trees for the cutting/ foresty bit behind

I wanted to keep this branch overhang and encourage it

The town with trees behind

Then it was a matter of taking down the mock town : I will be building that over Easter. For now its most important to get the plants into the soil and make it look nicer for the domestic authorities




Sorry about the naff photos, it had got dark by the time I took them. Learnt a few new "Tree Techniques" which I have put to use.

It's gone!

I then mocked up a town with bits of brick sheet to see how the buildings would fit together AND leave space for the quarry branch behind without the two separate parts "Knowing" that each other is there...

Warehouses next to the Tide mill

Then there'll be a street here with the Pub and my house on it probably

All of the above is 2D with the exception of:

The little alley way goes back to reveal another street the "Thoroughfare" which will only be

This long with one end blocked up by a delivery wagon or something and the other end with a mirror I think.
It will add Depth

Then it was a matter of positioning the trees for the cutting/ foresty bit behind

I wanted to keep this branch overhang and encourage it

The town with trees behind

Then it was a matter of taking down the mock town : I will be building that over Easter. For now its most important to get the plants into the soil and make it look nicer for the domestic authorities




Sorry about the naff photos, it had got dark by the time I took them. Learnt a few new "Tree Techniques" which I have put to use.

The railway which people forgot
(to build)
- robc_wa
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 106
- Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:41 am
- Location: Perth, Western Australia
Did those techniques include Bonsai? I heard Alan Tichmarsh on ClassicFM last week talking about planting out the Chrismas tree and reminding people that they grow to 100 ft!!Learnt a few new "Tree Techniques" which I have put to use.
Seriously though, that is looking very nice , makes my "track on a plank" look very bare, will have to do some close liaison with my domestic authorities.
Rob
OTPS; loved the 14days of Christmas video!
-
Narrow Minded
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
Thank you for the comments :
robc_wa:
I started out with a shelf railway which was great fun and I do miss it! I had to imagine all the scenery and building and things but it was great fun.
Narrow Minded:
I am not sure they are the same plant but the new one is
"Bressingham Pink" Thyme
robc_wa:
I started out with a shelf railway which was great fun and I do miss it! I had to imagine all the scenery and building and things but it was great fun.
Narrow Minded:
I am not sure they are the same plant but the new one is
"Bressingham Pink" Thyme

The railway which people forgot
(to build)
-
Narrow Minded
- hussra
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 872
- Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:06 pm
Wow! Really like the idea of what you've been able to squeeze in here, especially the throughfare behind. The idea, then, I take it is that the trees and whatnot generally conceal these from the quarry branch.
Can I ask about the building fronts which look to be cast in cement or similar (what looks like a warehouse and a gable end)?
Can I ask about the building fronts which look to be cast in cement or similar (what looks like a warehouse and a gable end)?
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull
in sunny Solihull
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
They are all either fibreglass brick sheet, AnDel brick sheet or Polystyrene house fronts I made for Aldeburgh. It was all just set up as a mock run to be built properly at easter. The Buildings will be disguising the railway at the back, the trees are just to help to disguise the backs of the buildings and to make woodbridge look prettier (On the otherside of the river are lots of trees in real woodbridge so it fits quite well)
There is also a house that used to reside on the MHLR. Its seen better times but its plywood with plaster.
Soil is fine here its not Too cold, yesterday was fab though with lots of sun!
There is also a house that used to reside on the MHLR. Its seen better times but its plywood with plaster.
Soil is fine here its not Too cold, yesterday was fab though with lots of sun!

The railway which people forgot
(to build)
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
-
Lner fan Sam
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests






