Building a Church
- planty
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 169
- Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Wakefield
- Contact:
-
James from Devon
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 210
- Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:58 pm
- Location: Devon
- planty
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 169
- Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Wakefield
- Contact:
- philipy
- Moderator

- Posts: 6057
- Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm
- Location: South Northants
I can't point you to any specific online articles but the basic technique is pretty easy and is much the same for brick or stone.:planty:117933 wrote:Anyone know of any articles online or books that cover brickwork painting?
I had a reasonable go with some redbrick on a platform building but wouldn't mind reading up on what others have done before starting on the church.
Personally I start with the mortar. I mix up some mortar colour and paint the entire structure, ensuring it gets into the mortar courses.
Pick a base colour that is approximately what you want the building to look like when finished. Paint the whole thing in that colour - a small foam roller does a pretty good job and avoids getting too much into the mortar.
Next get various colours that are lighter and darker than the base and mix SMALL quantities of different shades. Randomly paint individual bricks/stones, spread across the entire building.
When that paint mix is used up, mix another one and repeat.
Of course, each batch will be a slightly different colour, which is exactly the point, and why you must randomly pick out bricks/stones across the building.
There is no need to paint every individual brick/stone and when you stand back and look at it, as long as the shaded variation is random but even, and the overall colour is what you want, thats it.
This is the basic technique I used on my post office and village shop:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/abou ... highlight=
I note you say about using Humbrols. I've used ordinary bog-standard emulsion on foam boards with no problems after several years outside. You might have problems with Humbrol attacking your foam?
Philip
- planty
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 169
- Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Wakefield
- Contact:
- Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Emulsion paint seems to stay put on porous surfaces, eg concrete, however, I have never tried it on foamboard. I have used acrylic paint on a number of different surfaces and think it should work on your church. Artist quality acrylics in tubes from art shops shouldn't be expensive and will give you a greater variety of colour choices.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?
- planty
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 169
- Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Wakefield
- Contact:
- planty
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 169
- Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Wakefield
- Contact:
-
stoker
A few years back we visited New York....
And took a tour bus ride around the sights...
The guide soon cottened on to an English family and asked where we were from.
We told him that we were from Lincoln where we had a cathederal that was started in 1052(ish) and finished in 1120(ish)
'Oh' he replied,'It took 'em just half an hour to build?'
Where's me coat?
And took a tour bus ride around the sights...
The guide soon cottened on to an English family and asked where we were from.
We told him that we were from Lincoln where we had a cathederal that was started in 1052(ish) and finished in 1120(ish)
'Oh' he replied,'It took 'em just half an hour to build?'
Where's me coat?
- Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
- planty
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 169
- Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Wakefield
- Contact:
Sorted the base of the roofing out, time for the time consuming job of adding all the roof slates!!

For the top roof I'm looking to use the same technique I used on my station with cut up roofing felt. Looks really good when weathered in a bit. Not decided what I'm going to do for the side roof, same could work but the shape is a little more tricky!


For the top roof I'm looking to use the same technique I used on my station with cut up roofing felt. Looks really good when weathered in a bit. Not decided what I'm going to do for the side roof, same could work but the shape is a little more tricky!

- philipy
- Moderator

- Posts: 6057
- Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:00 pm
- Location: South Northants
I've just noticed that somehow I missed the last post on the previous page, about the windows. I've never thought of doing them like that but it's a brilliant idea. My only concern is whether the waterslide transfers will remain in place and the inkjet ink not run, outside when it rains? However it is also possible to get clear self adhesive vinyl sheets which should be waterproof especially if printed on a laser pinter.
Philip
- planty
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 169
- Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Wakefield
- Contact:
I'm not too worried by the ink. I use an acrylic varnish spray on top of the dry ink. This allows you to place in water to slide off the decal, so if it can handle being submerged in a bowl of water it can handle a bit of rain :-)philipy:118826 wrote:I've just noticed that somehow I missed the last post on the previous page, about the windows. I've never thought of doing them like that but it's a brilliant idea. My only concern is whether the waterslide transfers will remain in place and the inkjet ink not run, outside when it rains? However it is also possible to get clear self adhesive vinyl sheets which should be waterproof especially if printed on a laser pinter.
I have thought of the decals sliding in the rain, for this model most of the decals overlap the size of the window so they are effectively trapped by the adhesive attaching the Perspex to the building. Fingers crossed!
- planty
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 169
- Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Wakefield
- Contact:
- planty
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 169
- Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:23 pm
- Location: Wakefield
- Contact:
-
JCSteam
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 53 guests


