The DVLR Mark 2

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:02 am

Well an update is due...

The station at Woodbridge has been rendered as The brick sheet I used was far from waterproof and too fiddly. The roof is in the process of being tiled with real slates.
Image
Image
Image
Any ideas for lead flashing round the chimney and ridge tiles??
Next I sprayed some tippers, brick red then dirtied them up with some black.
Image
Image
More weathering needed me thinks!
Some preliminary work on the tide mill...
Image
The railway is settling in and being grown over in some areas rather nicely
Image
Image
Image
Now we come to the pond.
In a bid to save money I bought less pond liner and cut it into strips to be joined, this avoids waste as the pond is a long thin L shape. I bought some very expensive builders adhesive to make the joins which turned out to not be water tight - very depressing.
Image
Image
Image
So, I bit the bullet and bought one large piece from a different supplier (which when taking into account the cost of the sealant turned out to be cheaper...) and re prepared the ground.
Image
Image
Image
Bits of lino were used to stop the flints in the retaining wall from puncturing the liner
Image
Then is was all laid in, I had only just bought enough liner!
Image
Image
Image
The curves caused the liner to bend over worryingly
Image
and the pond at the end wasn't deep enough so had to be excavated some more so the pump could fit!
Image
Image
A hose was laid underneath the liner to take water from the pump from one end
Image
and then I began to hide the edges
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
And here's that all important beauty shot which is the pond's raison d'etre. The trains will steam along the edge and have a romantic reflection in the water below
Image
Last big bit to tidy up was around the pond where there is a mound of earth.
To hold the liner up I inserted BBQ spewers into the ground through the liner.
Image
Image
A road was constructed and a crossing will be added later
Image
Then all the trees were replanted
Image
Then pebbles in cement were added round the edge
Image
Image
Last some pond life from another pond was added to kick start the pond into life
Image
The pond will green up soon so should look less like an industrial creek I am hoping but I am really pleased with the results!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:10 am

Real water will make the cats avoid it. I do like the reflection idea it will look great in the next set of DVLR chronicles.
Last edited by Sir Clothem Cap on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hancockshire

Post by Hancockshire » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:11 am

looking good. For the lead flashing I'd recommend using the foil you get on wine bottles

User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Keith S » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:19 pm

I forget what they're called (mind-your-own-businees I think) but whatever those creeping little plants that spread about and have small leaves are called, if you plant them at the edge of the river they will spread and make it look like an old canal with lots of green life at the edges. Good work on the river so far!

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:35 pm

Yup, I keep looking for some but can't find it anywhere!
If anyone has some I'd be grateful for a cutting by post, or if you visit the railway please bring some with you!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Pendo Pilot

Post by Pendo Pilot » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:56 pm

Superb stuff Mr B, I really like that river. As you say, the reflected passage of trains will look superb. It should soon weather in as well. I think you may have inspired another person here to have a water feature..

DLRdan

Post by DLRdan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:08 pm

Ive got some "mind your own bussiness growing down by the fence, I'll see if I can get some cuttings to take for you.

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:12 pm

Looks great Zach. For lead flashing, use the metal tube that squeezy tomato puree comes in (if you like that sort of thing of course....!)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks for the comments,

Today I had possibly the worst steam up ever on the DVLR.
I decided to get River Deben out as she hasn't run on the new line and with the next series of the chronicles looming I really had to check she ran ok.
Roundhouse millies have larger wheel bases than berties and she didn't like the curves at all. Stopping to have a brew for a minuet or two would be ok but it kept on steaming explosively away from the curve as the pressure built up, this derailed all the stock. I ended up at one point with one carriage in the pond, one on the floor, the fish van's roof in the pond and the loco in the turntable pit at Woodbridge. I also discovered that while the pond is a rather attractive addition to the garden it does rather hamper my ability to access the tight corners...
I have therefore decided that RC is required on the regulator of River Deben (the other locos are ok) and that I will have to build a footbridge and a set of steps for accessing the tight corner in the corner. Some additional track work will also happen to ease the kinks as much as possible - we learn from our mistakes...
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

James-Buzz

Post by James-Buzz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:17 pm

Could you not add a bit of up and downs to counteract the forces of pressure build up and gravity?

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:18 pm

No, the line has enough bumps as it is, besides different steamers will stall in different places...
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 677
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:34 pm

Post by bessytractor » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:33 am

Mr Bond, I removed the RC  from the Purple Millie as I wanted it to be manual. Its the proper RH kit. Do you want it? I had the same problem with my Millie and thats why I'm rebuilding my line. Its all there, £45 complete with RC transmitter and batteries, so a bit of a saving. If you want to put your own RC gear in you can have the RH kit for 20. I need shot of it, I'm fed up with having it on my workbench :lol:
Last edited by bessytractor on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
proudly flying in the face of convention

User avatar
hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Post by hussra » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:21 am

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:58180 wrote:Today I had possibly the worst steam up ever on the DVLR.
Sorry to hear this.

I have a theory - as yet untested - that with some of the new-fangled 2.4GHz stuff it should be possible to RC a Millie without resorting to bunker extensions or trailing cars to hold the RC gear. By my reckoning, one the ultra-small Planet receivers (especially the newer 4-channel ones) will fit under the footplate, next to the frames, on one side, and 4xAAAs on the other side. Each would then need boxing-in in some way to conceal them, and it would be a big fiddle to fit. Not sure where the on/off switch would go but there has to be a space somewhere.

Hmmm.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 677
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:34 pm

Post by bessytractor » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:10 am

hussra:58196 wrote:
Mr. Bond of the DVLR:58180 wrote:Today I had possibly the worst steam up ever on the DVLR.
Sorry to hear this.

I have a theory - as yet untested - that with some of the new-fangled 2.4GHz stuff it should be possible to RC a Millie without resorting to bunker extensions or trailing cars to hold the RC gear. By my reckoning, one the ultra-small Planet receivers (especially the newer 4-channel ones) will fit under the footplate, next to the frames, on one side, and 4xAAAs on the other side. Each would then need boxing-in in some way to conceal them, and it would be a big fiddle to fit. Not sure where the on/off switch would go but there has to be a space somewhere.

Hmmm.
thats how RH do it or rather thats how the majority of RC Millies I've seen have been done.
proudly flying in the face of convention

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Hmm, I was planning on having the RC fitted below the chassis as suggested but am woosing out and getting DLR works to do it for me...
I shall talk to you Bessytractor about your offer...
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

pauly
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1989
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:18 pm

Post by pauly » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:42 am

I actually fitted my Millie with RC a long time ago for a short period of time, I managed to fit everything into the cab and below the footplate without having to resort to a trailing wagon.
A steam propelled life-style.

bessytractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 677
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:34 pm

Post by bessytractor » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:13 am

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:58240 wrote:Hmm, I was planning on having the RC fitted below the chassis as suggested but am woosing out and getting DLR works to do it for me...
I shall talk to you Bessytractor about your offer...
drop us a PM
proudly flying in the face of convention

DVT Dweller

Post by DVT Dweller » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:11 am

hussra:58196 wrote:
Mr. Bond of the DVLR:58180 wrote:Today I had possibly the worst steam up ever on the DVLR.
Sorry to hear this.

I have a theory - as yet untested - that with some of the new-fangled 2.4GHz stuff it should be possible to RC a Millie without resorting to bunker extensions or trailing cars to hold the RC gear. By my reckoning, one the ultra-small Planet receivers (especially the newer 4-channel ones) will fit under the footplate, next to the frames, on one side, and 4xAAAs on the other side. Each would then need boxing-in in some way to conceal them, and it would be a big fiddle to fit. Not sure where the on/off switch would go but there has to be a space somewhere.

Hmmm.
Nice work Zach the railway is looking great and really shows what can be done in a small space with abit of imagination. Mike PVLR on here has 2 millies. 1 with cab and 1 without and they both have rc on them with reciver behind 1 step and batteries behind the other.

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:03 pm

Well, not to be down heartened too much I decided to push on with the track work to Aldeburgh.
The track layout here is totally different to what I had planned as the peco points are much longer and awkward to place than I had anticipated.
The track has been balasted to look more like shingle (which would have been aquired straight from the beach) Pics soon...
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Well services on the DVLR are currently non existent as DVLR no. 1 is away being seen to at DLR Dan's workshops. Rene went as well (he's quite attached to her) and has been helping out by driving for the DLR in return for bed and lodgings....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPW42AP4 ... ture=feedu

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tPW42AP4QDA?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tPW42AP4QDA?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Thanks DLRDan for a cracking video!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LNR and 25 guests