The DVLR Mark 2
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
-
MDLR
More-or-less parallel with the A6, crossing it at a VERY obtuse angle just south of Bakewell, to run onto the Showground. See http://www.mdlr.co.uk/real.html for the full words and pictures.Mr. Bond of the DVLR:48364 wrote:odd, the railway would have gone past Haddon hall and up Haddon approach!
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
Got back after school and decided, considering it was light enough, to do a little job...
Gelert had been protesting heavily since the new railway cut his boat yard in half and had destroyed his business, so we decided to resurface his boat yard for him. A small crossing will shortly be installed.
Flattening the hard core...

By the evening it was done

Little fence made from BBQ skewers and wire.

It ought to look nice when the river is in place.
This was all watered down and left to set.
Gelert had been protesting heavily since the new railway cut his boat yard in half and had destroyed his business, so we decided to resurface his boat yard for him. A small crossing will shortly be installed.
Flattening the hard core...

By the evening it was done

Little fence made from BBQ skewers and wire.

It ought to look nice when the river is in place.
This was all watered down and left to set.

The railway which people forgot
(to build)
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
Spurred on by Pendo Pilots slate walling I decided to have a go at my interpretation of brick walling! it is made by smashing more terracotta pot up into little bits and then bedding them together with mortar. I am hoping it will keep the soil back and deter the cats a little. It is nearly free - only expensive bit is the cement.





I think it looks ok!
I then took all the sleepers off a piece of peco track (easier when you oil the rail) and bent it round to the same radius as the gauge one set track I used on the DVLR 1. The trains got round that ok so should theoretically get round this corner ok.
Looking from Woodbridge into the corner where Aldeburgh used to be. Now the railway will curve round in a deepish cutting and cross another bridge into Aldeburgh.







I think it looks ok!
I then took all the sleepers off a piece of peco track (easier when you oil the rail) and bent it round to the same radius as the gauge one set track I used on the DVLR 1. The trains got round that ok so should theoretically get round this corner ok.

Looking from Woodbridge into the corner where Aldeburgh used to be. Now the railway will curve round in a deepish cutting and cross another bridge into Aldeburgh.



The railway which people forgot
(to build)
-
Pendo Pilot
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
- 90733
- Driver

- Posts: 1955
- Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
- Location: West Yorkshire
- Contact:
-
Pendo Pilot
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
Once more I have been busy! Firstly, more walling:


Then I decided to crack on with terracotta cutting.
Trench dug, Bricks in


More bricks and levelling then occurred.


Then onto the retaining walls. Problem: I had run out of smashed pot nearly.
Solution: builder's next door had taken all the tiles off the roof and were replacing them with new ones. I took about 5 bucket fulls off their hands, along with more bricks.

Smashing up into little bits
"foundations"



Had to stop as it got too dark. Now to continue the cutting round the back of the tree stump and off to Aldeburgh!



Then I decided to crack on with terracotta cutting.
Trench dug, Bricks in


More bricks and levelling then occurred.


Then onto the retaining walls. Problem: I had run out of smashed pot nearly.
Solution: builder's next door had taken all the tiles off the roof and were replacing them with new ones. I took about 5 bucket fulls off their hands, along with more bricks.

Smashing up into little bits
"foundations"



Had to stop as it got too dark. Now to continue the cutting round the back of the tree stump and off to Aldeburgh!


The railway which people forgot
(to build)
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
Gosh, its been a tiring day today. The stump which the railway runs around the back of is giving me grief! I needed to remove some roots as they were too high for the railway to run over. The stump is dead but the roots still have a heck of a lot of strength, not wanting to use a saw in the confined space my first through was to burn through them. So I lit a fire under the monster root (having first taken the washing down...) and waited. This did very little as the wood was very damp. I thus chose my sharpest saw and got to it. An hour later and with a lot less skin on my knuckles (rubbing against the wall) the offending root as removed. Physically exhausted and needing to do homework I left it like that having mocked up the track work. The clearances are exceedingly tight though...

You can see here the large root which I sawed through on the right hand side of the point.
This is looking from Aldeburgh towards the tight spot, the gap in the bricks will be where there is a swing bridge over a river

Tight tight clearences!!!



You can see here the large root which I sawed through on the right hand side of the point.
This is looking from Aldeburgh towards the tight spot, the gap in the bricks will be where there is a swing bridge over a river

Tight tight clearences!!!



The railway which people forgot
(to build)
-
IrishPeter
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
Well today I decided that I really had better get this troublesome bit of track layed. The one can set a train off from one end of the garden and catch it at the other end. (In threory) Here's how it all went.

Trackbed, standard two bricks deep. The gap here will be filled with another bridge


Arg! That tight gap!!!
Track laying....


Followed by balast, note that pea shingle has been introduced to the balast mix as we are nearing the seaside where there is a plentiful surply

An over view of the curve, have just noticed that tight spot near the stump which will shorlty be remedied

And YES! the B and W carriage goes round

The run round facilities at woodbridge were completed.

Turntable ala MHLR. My longest loco fits on, just!

Next I pushed a train around to spot any pertential problems and to get a few pics!

Ready to depart form woodbridge


The understatement of the century....

Here the train has reached aldeburgh, you can see woodbridge just accross the "sea"

Now going the other way toward hollesleigh


This shelf will soon be extended to become a balloon loop



Back into woodbridge

Final shot

Right, nearly ready for my visitor next weekend....

Trackbed, standard two bricks deep. The gap here will be filled with another bridge


Arg! That tight gap!!!
Track laying....


Followed by balast, note that pea shingle has been introduced to the balast mix as we are nearing the seaside where there is a plentiful surply

An over view of the curve, have just noticed that tight spot near the stump which will shorlty be remedied

And YES! the B and W carriage goes round

The run round facilities at woodbridge were completed.

Turntable ala MHLR. My longest loco fits on, just!

Next I pushed a train around to spot any pertential problems and to get a few pics!

Ready to depart form woodbridge


The understatement of the century....

Here the train has reached aldeburgh, you can see woodbridge just accross the "sea"

Now going the other way toward hollesleigh


This shelf will soon be extended to become a balloon loop



Back into woodbridge

Final shot

Right, nearly ready for my visitor next weekend....

The railway which people forgot
(to build)
- Sir Clothem Cap
- Driver

- Posts: 1708
- Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
- Location: Hampshire
- Contact:
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MRS16UXpGaU?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MRS16UXpGaU?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>
A quick video, in half time to make it look and sound betterer. I am still learning with the sound but I think it sounds ok.
A quick video, in half time to make it look and sound betterer. I am still learning with the sound but I think it sounds ok.
Last edited by Dr. Bond of the DVLR on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The railway which people forgot
(to build)
- dougrail
- Driver

- Posts: 1535
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
- Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia
- Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
- Contact:
Not really worried about the limited clearance as all of my stuff goes through it! Went out and did a few bits yesterday and Saturday.
First of all I extended the tunnel by about another 50%.

Its not nicely dark inside

and ballasted the track on the Bawdsey side of the tunnel.

I took out a troublesome kink round terracotta cutting

(the pots on the bed bit are to keep the cats off for now - they were digging in it and filling up the cutting)
I then rebuilt the walls where the cats had destroyed them!

The realigned track has a slight camber to it which will be shortly corrected

The view from Woodbridge station look towards the line that runs to Bawdsey and the tunnel - planting now disguises this bit!


from the tunnel side

Haddon Bridge was finally made to open and close - still some realigning to do here but that will be easy enough


Instead of a point and a big loop which the parents said NO to the track layout for Aldeburgh approach has been altered.

A view from above the tunnel

and a view from the Woodbridge side of the lift bridge

New fencing approach : grill out of disposable BBQ cut up, secured in place with coffee stirrer stakes



And for those of you who are confused about the track plan here's a view of the flowerbed showing the line along to Woodbridge and the back line to Bawdsey

And standing on the mound near terracotta cutting here's a few shots along the line.
the view up one bed

nearing the corner

round the cutting

and on to Aldeburgh
The line is basically y shaped at the moment. The tops of the y are Woodbridge and Bawdsey and the bottom of y is Aldeburgh if that makes any sense!
First of all I extended the tunnel by about another 50%.

Its not nicely dark inside

and ballasted the track on the Bawdsey side of the tunnel.

I took out a troublesome kink round terracotta cutting

(the pots on the bed bit are to keep the cats off for now - they were digging in it and filling up the cutting)
I then rebuilt the walls where the cats had destroyed them!

The realigned track has a slight camber to it which will be shortly corrected

The view from Woodbridge station look towards the line that runs to Bawdsey and the tunnel - planting now disguises this bit!


from the tunnel side

Haddon Bridge was finally made to open and close - still some realigning to do here but that will be easy enough


Instead of a point and a big loop which the parents said NO to the track layout for Aldeburgh approach has been altered.

A view from above the tunnel

and a view from the Woodbridge side of the lift bridge

New fencing approach : grill out of disposable BBQ cut up, secured in place with coffee stirrer stakes



And for those of you who are confused about the track plan here's a view of the flowerbed showing the line along to Woodbridge and the back line to Bawdsey

And standing on the mound near terracotta cutting here's a few shots along the line.
the view up one bed

nearing the corner

round the cutting

and on to Aldeburgh
The line is basically y shaped at the moment. The tops of the y are Woodbridge and Bawdsey and the bottom of y is Aldeburgh if that makes any sense!

The railway which people forgot
(to build)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests
