An April Loco

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

An April Loco

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:44 am

Since Christmas I have been posting about my builds, either locos (electric) or rolling stock. I also mentioned that April might be a rather special occasion and produce something special.....
It's arrived at last..... that is, April, my 65th Birthday (today) and the special Loco.....

As you all know this is a Roundhouse 'Billy' which was made up from their Modular system by a very good friend.

So, unlike Big Al, I am no longer 'early retired' but oficially a pensioner.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: An April Loco

Post by kandnwlr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:18 am

Peter Butler:99618 wrote:Since Christmas I have been posting about my builds, either locos (electric) or rolling stock.    I also mentioned that April might be a rather special occasion and produce something special.....
 It's arrived at last.....  that is, April, my 65th Birthday (today) and the special Loco.....

As you all know this is a Roundhouse 'Billy' which was made up from their Modular system by a very good friend.  

So, unlike Big Al, I am no longer 'early retired' but oficially a pensioner.

Conratulations on the new arrival - and Happy Birthday! Have you got your Bus Card yet? :lol:

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:32 am

Happy Birthday and Happy Loco... Enjoy !
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:36 am

Thanks for the Birthday wishes. As for the bus pass, here in Wales passes are issued from age 60, so I have had mine (and used it many times) since then.

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:37 am

Happy Birthday young man, I am older than you at 66 but I retired about 7 years ago, love the loco you will find it great fun to run live steam, Don't burn the shed down.
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks Al, I am looking forward to 'playing trains' after all!
There is some help I need as I have no experience of live steam....
The loco came with gas which will need replacing, so where would you suggest I shop for butane?
Also, I need to buy a new filler adaptor so, again, which type should I buy and where from?
Are there different fittings for cans and adaptors or are they universal?
No doubt I will have more questions but I will search the relevant sections to try to find answers first.

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:05 pm

Their appears to be 2 main types of filler push on and less common screw on adaptor. I have both , one is roundhouse and the other one is Chuffed2Bits. I buy my Gas in a store called Range they are a national store but if not near you then any diy shop or camping shop will sell it. The duel gas used in camping stove cartridge systems I think needs the screw on adapter, Hold the can uprite and wait for can to start spraying out gas and it should be full it takes a bit of practise , Light the gas down the funnel best to use a gas lighter with a long flexible end and keep turned down low for a start then slowly increase gas until you get a nice roar from the burner about half turn is all you need. A good tip mark the of position of the gas so you know how far you turn it on. When up to pressure turn down the gas but mind you don't turn it of.
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Many happy returns Peter and what a lovely present.

As for the gas, you can get the screw adaptor from Roundhouse, that will fit the screw top cans from the likes of B&Q and hardware stores. I tend to stick to butane for the warmer days and mixed butane/propane on cold days. The problem being on very cold days that butane won't reach it's boiling point and therefore won't turn into a gas. For the el'cheapo gas cans cartridge type gas cans you can get an addaptor from china. This clips onto the cartridge and allows you to screw your Roundhouse filler on top.i will try and have a look if I can find the seller I bought mine from, I think it was only £6.

Have a look at eBay item 351009786226

As for lighting, you may find it easier to light from underneath, especially if you have a chuff pipe fitted. Gas being heavier than air it will gather just bellow the open bottom of the smoke box so just open the tap a bit and poke your lighter between the frames under the smoke box.

Have you got your oil and water sorted?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:55 pm

Thanks Al and DVT Dweller, most helpful info for a new boy like me. I'm sure this is stating the obvious to more experienced users but for late starters like myself it is a whole new world.
Al..... we do have a Range store here in Carmarthen (not on the edge of the universe by any means!) so I will see which type they sell and go from there.
Also our local B&Q probably stock some (I used to work there designing kitchens and bathrooms) and can get discount too!
Be prepared for more silly questions as time goes by.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:05 pm

Peter,
Happy Birthday , Happy Retirement and Happy Steaming :D
Philip

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Like that loco in black, great choice, and happy birthday! :thumbright:
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:14 pm

Happy Birthday Peter - keep the questions coming!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:10 pm

Been out shopping today and found suitable gas at our local Wilkinsons... (we have them all here!) Selling at £2.50 each or two for £4.00 (bargain!) This is the type of can with a push-fit nozzle not screw, so fits the adaptor I already have.
The ebay screw fit item seems worth having too as an alternative so I will go with that as a stand by.
Thanks to everyone for your kind messages.... I am having a very Happy Birthday indeed.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Just thinking how good the RH Billy looks on your layout. If only I could say the same about mine :shock:

spooner
Fireman
Fireman

Post by spooner » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Happy Birthday Peter.
Ian
WLR

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Peter Butler:99644 wrote:Been out shopping today and found suitable gas at our local Wilkinsons... (we have them all here!) Selling at £2.50 each or two for £4.00 (bargain!) This is the type of can with a push-fit nozzle not screw, so fits the adaptor I already have.
 The ebay screw fit item seems worth having too as an alternative so I will go with that as a stand by.
 Thanks to everyone for your kind messages.... I am having a very Happy Birthday indeed.
Pete £2.50 sounds expensive. I'm sure they are 4 for£5 in our Range. You can get them off eBay too for less than £1 a can.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks for the tip DVT. Early days yet for me to make comparisons. I was just pleased to see the item on the shelf so bought it without shopping around.
It's all a learning curve for me, and no doubt others just entering the 'dark side' of the hobby.
My next job will be to buy the Roundhouse kit to RC Billy. If anyone has experience or tips to offer I would be grateful to hear from you.
Also, while the loco is stripped to fit the servos I will repaint and carry out any changes to the general appearance to make it more individual. Again, any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:43 pm

Congratulations on your special day Peter. Your questions are not stupid to me - I'm also a relatively late comer to live steam - please keep them coming.

Your contributions to the forum are very inspirational so thanks for those too.

One thing I've noticed is how lovely your track looks. (I'm a p.way man through and through!). Do you assemble it yourself and if so whose components do you use please?

All the best and happy ssteaming,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:44 pm

Happy Birthday Peter. I would love a Billy at some point, nice proportions. I'm still learning the live steam ropes and do enjoy a quick steam up. The regulator lever sold by Spuduk (?) on the sales forum here was a good investment and on a good run stops the valve blowing.
I'm looking forward to early retirement at the end of the month but at 55 I may have a few years to wait for my Billy.

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:03 pm

Lovely loco, like the modelling behind