Roundhouse 2014

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:41 pm

I was working this morning. At home now. Hope those that could make it there had a great day.

MTA

Post by MTA » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:39 pm

Oh no... Not another Welsh prototype... :roll:

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:44 pm

Its certainly a lovely loco, here's the Roundhouse image:

I also managed to get my hands on the original, original Stanley for some images for my Dad, looking forward to it coming as its also lovely loco! :)
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:49 pm

Has anyone else realised that you can now represent the entire (present-day) steam fleet of the Fairbourne Railway using Roundhouse models? You can even add Elaine (L&M 2-6-4T) and Sandy River No. 24 for good measure!

So, Roundhouse, how about a 1/12th scale Katie or Sian for 2015? :P [/i]

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:46 pm

MuzTrem:99309 wrote:Has anyone else realised that you can now represent the entire (present-day) steam fleet of the Fairbourne Railway using Roundhouse models? You can even add Elaine (L&M 2-6-4T) and Sandy River No. 24 for good measure!

So, Roundhouse, how about a 1/12th scale Katie or Sian for 2015? :P [/i]
Interesting thought! You would have to modify Russell a bit though, maybe get a L&M rear bogie for it....
Interesting choice, not sure I can see it selling well though. Thought I might be completely wrong. Would make a nice freight loco for my line...
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:01 pm

laalratty:99311 wrote: Would make a nice freight loco for my line...
You'd have to build a steeply graded branch too of course...

It does look lovely, although I'm not convinced that spindly little coupling would cope with a heavy freight...

Cheers,

Andrew
Last edited by Andrew on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:07 pm

It seems like an odd choice being a one off loco with limited appeal, a WD Hunslet would have been better.
Cheers, Steve

Hope Mountain Railway
Cleaner
Cleaner

Beddgelert

Post by Hope Mountain Railway » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:50 pm

Odd choice or not, ..... it scored reasonably well on the 'Orders taken on the first day' at the AGM/Show measure. When RH asked the public what they fancied making, some years back. All the NWNGR 0-6-4Ts appeared in demand, ...... Moel Tryfan next? .....

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:18 am

Why are Roundhouse modeling prototype's that are either in storage waiting for overhaul, or scrapped? I like Beddgelert a lot, I think it's awesome, but there must be something better to make with more appeal?
Much like Karen, I suspect it will have a short life (like the original!)

SherpaPhil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SherpaPhil » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:48 am

She looked great, but my money is on Welsh Pony for 2017 ;)

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:34 am

SherpaPhil:99330 wrote:She looked great, but my money is on Welsh Pony for 2017  ;)
It won't ever happen, the cost would be far too much for a non-reguagable loco that would just look wrong if the same bodywork etc was used for a 45mm loco aswel as 32mm.

Gareth, did your name go on the order list? I might have to consider a new saving fund.

SherpaPhil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SherpaPhil » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:49 am

didn't think of that but perhaps one for the boys at ELR Engineering ?

Marquis DeCarabas
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:12 am

JMORG:99329 wrote:Why are Roundhouse modeling prototype's that are either in storage waiting for overhaul, or scrapped? I like Beddgelert a lot, I think it's awesome, but there must be something better to make with more appeal?
The question is, what would have appeal for a larger engine? The C&M Barclays were very much a one-off but the models sold steadily. What would be a suitable prototype? One of the larger Irish ones? 5T? One of the 5A class? I think Beddgelert is a sensible choice, TBH.
JMORG:99329 wrote:Much like Karen, I suspect it will have a short life (like the original!)
Karen didn't have a particularly short life - it's just that no-one seems to be able to reach the decision that the angle in the inner firebox is a design feature, despite looking at the original GAs in the NRM.
De Carabas

At the service of angelislington

IRON MAN
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by IRON MAN » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:20 am

There was a queue to order one before the doors opened. A lovely Welsh prototype. Good to see they listened to the feedback they were given.

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:24 pm

Although it is a beautiful model, I get the feeling that this is going to be one of the most expensive models in the RH catalogue. If Talesin cost around £1800 , then this larger model based on a real-life prototype is going to cost at least £2200 by my estimations.

I hope to God I am wrong because I would love one of these.

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:05 pm

I see that George & Mildred were a flop and are discontinued at the end of this year.
Cheers, Steve

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Not suprised, despite what has been said i thin prototype models are what people hanker after, not freelance(unless they are stunningly beautfiul i.e Mayflower ;-))

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:15 pm

The Roundhouse guys are great engineers but they have never been as good modellers as some other makers and don't have the artistic eye that allowed Merlin & Pearse to create very attractive freelance models. I see can't see why Lady Anne sells so well being so out of proportion to real life prototypes! Having said that, Jack looked great but they dropped that!
Cheers, Steve

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:03 pm

I think the problem is that most of the large, well-known, non-articulated British NG prototypes have already been done by at least one of the major manufacturers at some point. Let's face it, there weren't that many to choose from in the first place.

Many of the well-known British 2' gauge prototypes would be too small for viable commercial production, unless designed to be significantly overscale, which always upsets people. Equally, most of the Irish 3' gauge prototypes are probably too big and wouldn't cater for the 32mm market. There must be plenty of interesting medium-sized 2' - 3' gauge prototypes around the world, but alas, most railway enthusiasts tend to ignore railways beyond their own borders (although to be fair the NG fraternity tend to be better than the SG devotees in this respect).

In a sense it doesn't really matter. Why shouldn't Roundhouse carry on selling popular designs like Billy, Lady Anne and Russell for as long a people want them, and produce small batches of new designs each year to cater for those lucky people with deep pocket who can afford to buy multiple engines?

Looking forward, though, I'll be very interested to see whether Roundhouse one day follows Accucraft's lead and produces a range of 7/8ths scale designs. That would open up a huge range of possibilities in terms of smaller prototypes.

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:53 pm

HereticUK:99350 wrote:Although it is a beautiful model, I get the feeling that this is going to be one of the most expensive models in the RH catalogue. If Talesin cost around £1800 , then this larger model based on a real-life prototype is going to cost at least £2200 by my estimations.

I hope to God I am wrong because I would love one of these.
Either that or roundhouse might seem to think it will cost you £1700 manual or £1900 rc.