The DVLR Mark 2

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
User avatar
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Sorry to see the state of your railway at the moment Zach given the amount of work you have put into it.

Once your studies are over you can get into work so you can move out and build something in your own place :)

Woodfields Light Railway

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:15 pm

Sorry to hear about all of that, I read the entire DVLR 2 post in one sitting. I'm a fan!!! can you maybe post a video tour of the railway as I am slightly confused about the layout... I understand you are busy at uni and all though, so don't take this comment too seriously. ;) thanks...

Woodfields Light Railway

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:48 pm

Still a lovely railway......

Might I be so cheeky to ask..... Is there a chronicles of the dvlr series 2 coming for the new line? Just wondering.  Thanks



Woodlands light railway

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:20 pm

I've always said that once the new railway is finished to a "runnable" standard (its much easier filming something when you arn't re-railing every 30 seconds) I'd try again.

Got a few story ideas up my sleeve but the basic premiss would be about setting up the new railway, getting the old characters and rusty old stock back together and starting up on a shoe string (a bit Early Tal-y-llyn style but not preservation) I need to wait for more scenics though. I am open to story line suggestions. I've always been encouraged by how many people ask me "when the next series will be" so thank you!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Woodfields Light Railway

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:40 am

Cool, really fantastic. Lookin forward to it

User avatar
Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm
Location: Kent

Post by Gremlin » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:07 am

they must be having a huge extension if the whole wall is being strenghtened. Old walls crumbling are really a pain, I've had to repair a fair bit of flint wall at work and we have 100's of meters of the stuff.
Oh what joy that is.
Hope everything gets put back by the builders and you can get going again.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:33 am

Might be worth keeping an eye on what materials are being used by the builders in case there is somthing useful to you that can be cadged, a few blocks or a bit of timber maybe.

User avatar
Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm
Location: Kent

Post by Gremlin » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:40 pm

That's true, you'd be surprised what they are happy to leave behind.
I once gained 8 sheets of 3/4 inch marine ply. Made a decent shed.

Woodfields Light Railway

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:15 pm

Yar, that's the good thing about builders. Of course the bad thing is the damage they cause... You've probably already experienced that though zach...

Woodfields Light Railway

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Will there be an update soon? Sorry to pester but I'm a fan of this railway......

User avatar
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm
Location: North West Leicestershire

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi Zach,

I've only just joined this forum. I've resolved to read as many of the threads as possible over time, starting with the ones about other peoples railways and experiences. The aim is to gain some tips and inspiration to spur me on to developing my own railway.

Yours was one of the first I chanced upon. I've read the whole lot over the last two days. It's been a great inspiration to me to see how you achieved what you achieved on a postage stamp! It was just like a reading a novel but I was so sad to find the latest chapter turned the story into a tragedy.

I hope you're studying civil engineering at Uni - or know someone who is! I hope you won't be too disheartened by the devastation visited upon your little world and I really hope the story will have a happy continuation. Please keep us posted as and when you can.

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:49 pm

So, today I ventured out into the garden. Here is what I found...
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
With the worst of the leaves cleared
Image
Image
Image
Then is was getting dark. Lots to do...
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Woodfields Light Railway

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Wow... I have to pat you on the back for your patience...

Woodfields Light Railway

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:41 pm

You know, I think the words "I got back from uni to find this:" should be your trademark saying, as you've said it millions of times. Hee hee

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Nasty, still look on the bright side it could be a lot worse.

User avatar
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm
Location: North West Leicestershire

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:17 pm

On face value there doesn't appear to be too much physical devastation. I hope that's so.

The vegetation is another matter! Do you have a model of a working flail?

When I went to Nottingham as Section Manager we were still walking the Calverton Colliery Branch, nigh on ten years after the pit had shut. your line is a good representation of what it looked like!

Hope you can get something running again soon.

laurence703

Post by laurence703 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Perchance it is not dead, but sleepeth... springs to mind ;)

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:02 am

Woodfields Light Railway
You know, I think the words "I got back from uni to find this:" should be your trademark saying, as you've said it millions of times. Hee hee
I must agree an often made quote young Zach, hope it back to normal soon. Image

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:27 pm

I'd noticed I'd been saying that a lot which is why I avoided it this time!

More track clearance this time, to get up more leaves and to get the soil, mud and MYOB out of the track. Its nice to be able to see that track snaking its way along now... There were in total of at least 16 plants killed by the builders so, at an average price of 4 pounds each I'll be claiming 64 pounds from them which I think is fair.

I have pruned the wisteria (with DLRDan's help) and tomorrow I'll try and have a steam up and start on some new changes.
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Woodfields Light Railway

Post by Woodfields Light Railway » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:37 pm

Great!!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests