I'm smitten...

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Keith S » Mon May 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I wish that too. I'd like a sight glass and a top-up valve but there is no provision for such on the Billy boiler.

User avatar
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:23 pm
Location: Kokomo, Indiana, USA

Post by artfull dodger » Mon May 27, 2013 11:18 pm

I believe you can get a goodall valve to replace the standard RH boiler fill cap under the steam dome. It just has the valve in teh middle instead of a solid brass casting. I know the cab in my Lady Anne is quite crowded, so a sight glass would be a tight fit. More of a manifold style boiler set up for steam would be nice, giving an extra bush for whistle ect. With DJB and Regner having affordable whistle kits, all we need is a place to easily get steam. I have the whistle kit from Regner, trying to find someone to make me something I can use to tap into my steam supply. Cheers Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

User avatar
Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: Teesside

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Mon May 27, 2013 11:58 pm

Hi chaps

In all honesty the instructions was the first thing I read once I received her and it was what I read for the three weeks prior to steaming her up.

The time she primed badly and shut herself off was one off and this has never happened since, she also light first time too. Plus, only a small amount of water is seen before settling down. Is that bad?

In regards to the water, it's something I always do, fill the boiler up and remove 30ml of the so there is steam to raise.

Generally she has been easy to drive and alot of fun too.

User avatar
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:23 pm
Location: Kokomo, Indiana, USA

Post by artfull dodger » Tue May 28, 2013 2:01 am

That little bit of water out of the stack is just condensation as the hot steam tries to warm up the cold cylinders. At first it can so it turns back to water and is forced out the exhaust. Fitting a Summerlands Chuffer to the exhaust stops the water from coming up the stack and instead it drains out the bottom of the smokebox between the rails. Your doing good, just keep practicing, keep a notebook on what works and what doesnt ect. Pretty soon you will feel like an old hand at steaming up. Every engine is different, they steam engines are living things, each with its own personality and traits. It takes time to learn your engines traits and no two are the same. Cheers Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

User avatar
Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: Teesside

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Wed May 29, 2013 7:09 am

I think I might remove a little more than 30ml of water from the boiler next time, when I do light her up I can find when she steams up there is a fair bit of water on the roof. Afterwards it isn't a problem.

Anyway, no offence taken Keith S, I think the reason I say she's grumpy is just a personification, in reality it's operator (my) error of being fairly inexperienced.

I'm going to have a hunt around for other garden railway operators in my local area. It would be good help to see how others work their engines.

in other news, I'm given her some tarted up bits....all from roundhouse. The light on my phone camera is not doing anything any justice though... :(

Image

That's all folks.

User avatar
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:23 pm
Location: Kokomo, Indiana, USA

Post by artfull dodger » Wed May 29, 2013 2:11 pm

That looks great!! Getting some of the Roundhouse tools ect was part of my eventual plan. Dont need the lanterns as I have my Regner ones that I can actualy light up eventualy. The water on the roof will be normal till you get a chuff pipe. That will stop most of the water from squirting up the chimney and instead cause it to drain back under the engine from below the smokebox. I highly recommend you get a chuff pipe from Summerlands Chuffers, you wont regret it. Cheers Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Keith S » Wed May 29, 2013 3:31 pm

Decorating a locomotive with useful little metal bits is fun. I think I will order some of those firing tools too. They look good.

I wouldn't take more than 30cc of water out of the engine. She's going to spit water no matter what you do, and I've noticed that there isn't a whole lot left in the boiler after a run as it is. The trouble is you can scale down any machine but you can't scale down steam and water. Real engines spit a fair amount of water too but it doesn't lie about in big droplets like it does on a model because the water is proportionally "bigger" on the model. I was standing a good 50 feet away from a locomotive the other day as it started up and I walked away with my face covered in black oily speckles and water. They all do this, even the big ones.

By the way, I remember you weren't all that proud of the lettering on your wagons: I was looking at that last picture of the locomotive with the wagons and thinking about how good the whole thing looks together. To be honest, I'm thinking of hand-lettering my own wagons now. You've done a good job there.

Lner fan Sam

Post by Lner fan Sam » Thu May 30, 2013 3:58 pm

If you are looking for fellow live steam locomotive owners why don't you join the Northumberland area group( I'm assuming that you are a member of the 16mm association)

Despite the name the group covers the whole north east.

User avatar
Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: Teesside

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:55 pm

I'll give it some consideration at the moment money is now a little tight. But not tight enough to force me to surrender my little lady.

Unfortunately a lot has happened in 2 years, and although the locomotive is the same the girls in my life a different. So, now instead of Jemima she is now "Vyvyan" something a little more gender neutral and "Young Ones".

There has also been a house move and my current abode only has a small yard which is workable but there is too much scrap in it to practically fit my track into.

Image[/url

Anyhow, she is now complete, the lining is not the best but it is trimline and one day I might get it professionally done. or risk doing it myself.

Real coal has been added and detailing is by Locoworks and Brandbright (RIP). unfortunately I'll need to reattach  the front vacuum pipe properly as whilst in transit it broke and is temporarily fitted on with Uhu superglue.

Alan P

Post by Alan P » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:53 am

That is one very nice looking loco :)

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:31 pm

Good to hear from you again Mr T. Lady Annes are my favourite and I must add some locoworks bits at some point. Not actually flush here either as a combo of early retirement and a son getting married leaves much spare cash.
I like Vyvian, much nicer than Rick with a silent P as I recall from one episode :D

User avatar
Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: Teesside

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:21 pm

Cheers chaps, she is a jolly little loco now I've added everything. I'll give you a brake down properly once I get the photo's sorted.

Nice to be welcomed back by some familiar faces too Bazzer42. Far better that (P)Rick or a miserable hippie :P I've sorted the name Dougal in line for my Tram (whoever that gets finished) and possibly a Holly one day and if life treats me right we may even see a Malcolm (f*****g Tucker). But at the moment I'm on Student fees and renting out at the moment so not just yet plus I've been busy with my 4mm stuff.

But so far I've happy with Vyv and she's enjoying the temporary garden I'm looking after.

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:18 pm

Welcome back Sylvian, it has been a while.

Good to see Vyvyan lined out - all the better if I may say. Seems like she has settled down to become a good performer as all Roundhouse locos do!

If you are after more 'cheeky' photos, please welcome the now-newly-renamed 'Vixen' [plates have been taken off]

Image

Part Vyvyan, part Lady of Sherwood, part IoM No.2 'Derby'....;)

User avatar
Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: Teesside

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:24 am

Hi Dougrail.

Couldn't agree more. They look lovely as the basic model but adding stuff just enhances it tenfold. She was frothing a bit but I think I over filled the boiler too much apart from that no problems at all, if i do get another I have my eyes set on a Katie.

I do like "Vixen", especially the Isle of Man style tanks and cab. Did you make those yourself or where they a kit?

User avatar
Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:48 pm
Location: Teesside

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:24 pm

I've given Vyv a quick run in the garden - she is now up to spect with three now lamp irons added - two above the buffer beam and one on the coal bunker.

Image

Image

Considering she hasn't been run in over a year - she is still a very commendable engine.

For the foreseeable future this new line will be her home with possibility to expand and make her journey's a little more interesting.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:51 pm

Very smart

Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:19 pm

Two good reasons for fitting chuffer.
1  Condensate does not come flying out of chimney top
2  Easier to control speed if you listen to the beat of the loco.

User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Keith S » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:28 am

3) makes the engine sound cool.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests