The DVLR Mark 2

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
User avatar
hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Post by hussra » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:05 pm

And make sure it's waterproof PVA! (Or SBR, which I note Cliff Barker sells for use with his gauge 1 and 3 trackwork and ballast.)
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Right, glue it is, should I put cement in the mix as well?
Also I have a plan for the leaves...
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:03 am

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:78128 wrote:Also I have a plan for the leaves...
A certain seed perchance? ;)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Errr, not quite. Brace yourselves I think I've gone mad...
(Well MaddER at least...)
I was pretty sick and tired of my line looking like this:
Image
so I removed the leaves and was shocked by how much better it looked!
Image
Image
Image
So I had a truck full of leaves hanging around...
Image
And an idea struck me...
I wonder....
Image
Image
Image
16mm scale leaves on the line!
Image
Image
Image
Much better!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Scale leafs brilliant idea some of the larger tracks may not be so keen to try it though.

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:19 pm

haha, brilliant
Thanks
Jack

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:48 pm

genius! :santa:

User avatar
hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Post by hussra » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:07 pm

As I commented in another place, this is completely bonkers, and wonderful.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

User avatar
Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:43 pm

now that is off the wall!! brill :D

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:15 pm

My Engine shed has been in use on and off for a long time and still it didn't have any windows (I made some and never got round to fitting them) and River Butley didn't fit in (too tall)
Decided it was high time to do something about it. Using an AnDel brick sheet I raised it up a bit. Painted the bricks. Fitted the windows and planked it back in place. Now with hinges for the doors, valensing and a bit of interior decoration it will look a treat.
I have "Hidden" the loco depot away from the running track so that there is more "main line" and less "station approach"
From the side
Image
The windows
Image
From the "main line" this is all you can see
And from the front...
Image
A little bit ANLR I thought...
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:58 pm

Plenty more plans layed down for next year, got quite a few things to change...
Image
This corner will become a rocky cutting with trees and MYOB etc. It will run behind the low relief buildings of Woodbridge. I am planning to use mirros to make woodbridge look bigger.
Image
Aldeburgh station is going to move back into the flower bed so that I can have a beach again and also to remove the "cliff hanger" look.
The Mound in the corner is going!
Image
This was made from all the soil dug out from the track foundations and river and has never worked. It will become gently undulating farm land with two fields, one for the sheep and one for crops of some sort. I envisage that the fence from the field will run along side the railway. If there is one aspect of Suffolk I haven't considered representing it is the agriculture and I think that is important. That doe mean the cutting will have to go but that should make it much easier to access the locomotives that stall on the corner and make it much friendlier to visiting steam locos.
Image
I'll miss Terracotta cutting as I think its an interesting bit of the line but it does cause access problems and I don't take photos of it very much as I can't get to it easily. I'll be reusing the terracotta chunks in the cutting to be made on the corner near woodbridge so that will be fine!
These improvements should make the railway look nicer. You will also be able to see the train progressing through the landscape more, I did try to break it up with obsticles such as the mound in the way so you can't see the train all the time but with such a small railway I think I miss out on actually watching the trains because of it.

Anyway thats the plan for next year

To start us off I got 5 miniature christmass trees going very cheaply at Budgens, Pound each. Bargain!
Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:30 pm

Remember the mound which used to form up "Catchit" Tunnel?
Image
It's gone!
Image
I then mocked up a town with bits of brick sheet to see how the buildings would fit together AND leave space for the quarry branch behind without the two separate parts "Knowing" that each other is there...
Image
Warehouses next to the Tide mill
Image
Then there'll be a street here with the Pub and my house on it probably
Image
All of the above is 2D with the exception of:
Image
The little alley way goes back to reveal another street the "Thoroughfare" which will only be
Image
This long with one end blocked up by a delivery wagon or something and the other end with a mirror I think.
It will add Depth
Image
Then it was a matter of positioning the trees for the cutting/ foresty bit behind
Image
I wanted to keep this branch overhang and encourage it
Image
The town with trees behind
Image
Then it was a matter of taking down the mock town : I will be building that over Easter. For now its most important to get the plants into the soil and make it look nicer for the domestic authorities
Image
Image
Image
Image
Sorry about the naff photos, it had got dark by the time I took them. Learnt a few new "Tree Techniques" which I have put to use.
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
robc_wa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by robc_wa » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:54 am

Learnt a few new "Tree Techniques" which I have put to use.
Did those techniques include Bonsai? I heard Alan Tichmarsh on ClassicFM last week talking about planting out the Chrismas tree and reminding people that they grow to 100 ft!!

Seriously though, that is looking very nice , makes my "track on a plank" look very bare, will have to do some close liaison with my domestic authorities.

Rob

OTPS; loved the 14days of Christmas video!

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:39 am

All looking very promising Zach :D
It looks like you found what the "grassy looking mound" plant was, care to share?? ;)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:51 am

Thank you for the comments :

robc_wa:
I started out with a shelf railway which was great fun and I do miss it! I had to imagine all the scenery and building and things but it was great fun.

Narrow Minded:
I am not sure they are the same plant but the new one is
"Bressingham Pink" Thyme
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Thank you sir, I'll have a look next time I pass the garden centre ;)
Are you doing any more groundwork today - frozen solid here :?

User avatar
hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Post by hussra » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:39 pm

Wow! Really like the idea of what you've been able to squeeze in here, especially the throughfare behind. The idea, then, I take it is that the trees and whatnot generally conceal these from the quarry branch.

Can I ask about the building fronts which look to be cast in cement or similar (what looks like a warehouse and a gable end)?
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:16 pm

They are all either fibreglass brick sheet, AnDel brick sheet or Polystyrene house fronts I made for Aldeburgh. It was all just set up as a mock run to be built properly at easter. The Buildings will be disguising the railway at the back, the trees are just to help to disguise the backs of the buildings and to make woodbridge look prettier (On the otherside of the river are lots of trees in real woodbridge so it fits quite well)
There is also a house that used to reside on the MHLR. Its seen better times but its plywood with plaster.
Soil is fine here its not Too cold, yesterday was fab though with lots of sun!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:06 pm

Just got back from uni to find this:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Looks like I've got some work to do...
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Lner fan Sam

Post by Lner fan Sam » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Looks like a old forgotten narrow gauge railway that hasn't been touched for 20 years are so!!!

Will you be going to Peterborough this year Zach?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests