The DVLR Mark 2

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
User avatar
hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Post by hussra » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:38 am

Wonderful stuff - well done! (I can see the railway inspector commenting on interlocking with the yard gates, mind!)
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:58 am

Hah true! Sorry big - ted, no can do about that. Its just the river alde pottering about in the garden if you can imagine that?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Pretoria

Post by Pretoria » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:47 pm

:hello2:

Very good -- I only wish I had a garden (& shed) big enough to do that in 5". :cry:

Sounds like I shall see you at JoL next weekend ?

:wave:

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:29 pm

No, I'll be coming to Jol in July, I'd go to JoL more often if it wern't 300 odd miles away...
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:57 pm

Bit more done on the railway, decided to try and hide the ugly black plastic down by the hill bit in the corner and flatern the hill slightly. I've put in a terrace so the soil won't run into the river.
Sorry about the sill angle but this give you an idea of a before shot
Image
Rearranging plants
Image
Folding the black plastic over some terracotter pot bits
Image
A brick put in place to support the "bridge" so I can get to the trains when they stall in the cutting
Image
Hesian in place
Image
Retaining wall done
Image
Planted up
Image
I still need LOADs more ground cover but its getting there.
At the other end of the line...
Image
Image
Image
Image
Pauls shed is gone!
Image
Don't worry the track will be put back in. Hopefully it will be a balloon loop!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Post by hussra » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:69408 wrote:Pauls shed is gone!
Image
Don't worry the track will be put back in. Hopefully it will be a balloon loop!
Crumbs, that changes the view a bit! Is it being replaced, or is this the time for a land grab?
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:21 pm

Its gone for good (been taken down to the allotment) so I want to put a removable baloon loop in.
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

laurence703

Post by laurence703 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:29 pm

Why not make a slightly more permanent balloon loop with steam up area? disguised as a port? have it a a balloon loop but extend the flower bed by another few feet and then have the removable balloon loop? means less to put away at the end of play.

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:32 pm

I'd have all of the above (except a quarry rather than a port) except that the mother said NO! Whet ever goes there must be removable. I was only just allowed the flowerbed, nothing else!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

laurence703

Post by laurence703 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:37 pm

ahh the parents must be pleased... I have the same problem.. except they want my entire railway to be removable all the time... I find myself asking what's the point in saying yes you can do it.... if it has to be put away each time? it sort of defeats the objective and makes it pointless. :?

You are lucky in that you were granted the flowerbed at least... and have made a fantastic railway in such a small amount of space. It seems bigger than it is.

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Thank you very much! Good luck with your situation, maybe you can negotiate some terms such as "I'll do all the gardening" or something?

Anyway, today's work before I got trapped inside the house due to thunder
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Oh and to see if a balloon loop is possible:
Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

laurence703

Post by laurence703 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:59 pm

Gardening is why I'm probably not going to have one while I live with the parents... Step dad is a keen gardener... need I say more?

If I were you, I'd remove the turntable and link the tunnel up to the station.
And it would mean very little work instead of making removable balloon loops with sprung points.
Anyways, Very nice work on the level crossing!

User avatar
hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Post by hussra » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:69511 wrote:Oh and to see if a balloon loop is possible:
Well, don't keep us waiting, man! What did you conclude?

Liking the level crossing very much.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:18 pm

I concluded that if I buy -shudder- a big sheet of marine ply or similar then I could have the balloon loop as a base board. The setting would be the coprolite quarry, I've even got some new plans for Catchit tunnel and the woodbridge townscape. Problem is where to store such a large base board without it
a) getting in the way in such a small garden
or
b) if I hinge it up or store it ontop of the pergoda how do I stop it blocking out all the light?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

laurence703

Post by laurence703 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Make it so that it folds up like a camping picnic table and store it in the shed or make it into a loop / circle with triangle and keep it in your room as an indoors layout for testing locos on ;)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Maybe, I'll draw up some plans to show to the domestic authority for approval.
Anyway...
Bit of structure work done, ought to go in my Structures thread but might be better to go all in one place?
Work in progress, Whippets Mill, based on Colleys mill (See what I did there?) from Camberwick green. The owner will be called Milly Winder. The colour is supposed to be Suffolk Pink (white paint died pink with pigs blood) but is a bit striking! It'll look better with sails on anyway...
Image
And the tide mill,
Image
Once its got a roof, windows and is painted I'm sure it'll look ok
Image
Its made out of a polystyrene pasty box (A relative in Cornwall sends us a box full each christmas... )
Finally today, Butley Halt has been re-instated into its proper place, Its quite high up so not sure if the clearances work yet... Need to build the retaining walls around it.
Image
Its been built so it can't be seen from Woodbridge
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Looking good Mr Bond! :D

Interesting that your mill owner is female, as is mine! Ann Gotwett owns the mill by the mill pool (or "Felin pwll") which is, as it happens, named after her - hence "Felin Pwll Ann Gotwett" :lol:

User avatar
Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:55 am

It looks like you are almost ready for the new Chronicles to be filmed.
The Tide mill is a good idea as there arn't too many existing still. Eling tide mill in hampshire may give you more details for the outside. http://s277147633.websitehome.co.uk/Elingmill.html

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:58 am

Or I could go and look at Woodbridge's working tide mill which this is a model of!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:02 pm

:oops: Sorry I Wasn't aware of woodbridges one :oops: That will teach me to get out more! Anyway you have made excellent progress on the scenic front, My scenics have to be rabbit proof too.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests