The DVLR Mark 2

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Keith S » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:39 am

Sorry to veer even more off-topic, but are there actually people who are abusing butane to get high? Is this actually a problem? Did you really have to explain what you wanted it for?

I'm shocked. I've never heard of butane abuse.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:17 am

Just staying off topic a mo'
Sorry to veer off topic but what is this 'Border control' you speak of?
Oops, you're right of course - I should have said "Border Agency" (Border Control is only what they're supposed to do! ;)
I'm shocked. I've never heard of butane abuse.
I'm afraid to say that it does happen :? And, just like so many "perceived problems", our Nanny State government has once again taken a heavy handed blanket approach and penalised everyone - not just the oiks :roll:

Getting back to the thread - how are your pond plants doing Mr B?

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:12 pm

sorry greg, missed your post there...

Pond plants are ok, most have got lots of pond snail eggs on them, the pond is starting to get over run with blanket weed so I've taken that out.
Done alot of work tidying the garden up, or I beleive its called spring cleaning. And the edges of the pond look a little naff so I'll be re doing those very soon, I'll be putting in more space for plants as I am sick and tired of the concretey look.
Here is a long thin planting pocket where once there was concrete
Image
Some roses went in
Image
Image
I'll be putting hessian material over the black plastic so that green stuff can take hold
Image
Finally my step dad's planting bench was moved so we can have a full length view of Woodbridge station
Image
And for the benefit of those who can't work out how large the railway is (Greg got quite a shock when he visited) I've got a few larger scale shots of the railway to spoil the illusion
Image
Image
Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:17 pm

Wow, you've obviously been busy! The "Spring Clean" is very much in evidence and it's all looking very neat & tidy! :D

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Well today I decided to fill in that long thin bed with the little plants I bought at Peterborough and a car boot sale. I have also been experimenting with Hessian material to cover up the black plastic, moss or general greeness should grow on this better than the plastic and make it look more natural.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
The stones help the river theme and will keep the moisture in the bed.
Image
The reflection still works,
Next up I just have a few arty farty shots of the quiet track between trains
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:36 pm

I've been doing some work today on Snape Street Station, the rather un-photographed station in my shed. I lowered the board to match the height of the new railway and have rearranged the track. The whole station has been moved from the back to the side of my shed and will be connected by a 90 degree curve. This was mostly due to the fact that there's now a lathe where it used to be! (very excited) I'll take some pics tomorrow as I ran out of light!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Pendo Pilot

Post by Pendo Pilot » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Looking good there Zach, Tightly packed in line but without the track saturatation look that sometimes comes with smaller lines.
That hessian idea is interesting, may have to find some of that.
Top work.

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:57 pm

Thats exactly what I've been trying to do
Quart into pint pot without over crowding! You'll have to visit to appreciate the scale of it all!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:22 pm

alpines like well drained soil mix with gravel and thrive in dry conditions you may loose them I hope you dont

User avatar
Keith S
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1668
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Keith S » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:56 pm

THe "hessian" material already looks nicer than the shiny plastic. I'm sure the MYOB or some similar plant will take a liking to it.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:16 am

Yep! that last shot in particular shows both the covered and bare plastic - Most excellent Mr B. and another idea I hope you don't mind me "borrowing" :D

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Been working int shed on Snape Street trying to get it connected up again, talk about engineering challenge! All the levels and avoiding things!
An "Oh dear" moment came when I realised that to get the right level some rolling stock would collide with the plastic shelves...

Image
sorted by raising the plastic shelves
Image

The whole lot is constructed with shelf brakets, lots of screws and odd planks of wood.

Image
Image
Image

Snape Street now has a sector plate so I will no longer have to run push pull!!!!
Image
Image

And finally came the time when the railway was nearly linked up to the rest of the railway...
Image
Image
New and old railway tunnels...
Image
The proposed conecty up track.
Image

In other news...
Some gates I got at Peterborough get trial fitted
Image
Image
And spring is here...
Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Those gates look perfect, Who makes them?

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Pendlebury buildings
They were cheap too, a snip at only 15 pounds.
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:55 pm

Finally got the railway connected up to Snape Street and ran the first train from Woodbridge to Snape Street and back several times without too many derailments! Best thing ever: running with the loco at the front of the train in both directions!
Anyway, first: the track to take the railway into the shed can not be permanent tram track as planned (planning permission meeting didn't go well) so is removable, here's my solution:
Image
Image
Its bolted onto the ply wood board. It will all receive the scenic treatment soon, wondering what to do with the space, thinking pig farm...
Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:09 pm

Great Solution :D
Thanks
Jack

User avatar
hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Post by hussra » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:00 pm

I had been meaning to ask how the planned connection across the lovely new paving was going - this does look like a sensible solution in the circumstances, look forward to seeing the scenic treatment. And congrats on the first through train! Where's the video? :D
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Just up loading good sir! give us half an hour or so, or it might be done tomorrow. It was a really good steam up and I feel great!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:44 pm

Here you are!
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlwb8uXo ... e=youtu.be

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qlwb8uXoChg?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qlwb8uXoChg?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:13 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada.

Post by big-ted » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:24 pm

"This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country under copyright grounds."


:( :?: :!:

I'm in Canada but, still, seems a little heavy-handed!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests