The Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:59 pm

...and there on the right is Black Knight's reverser spin - I can tell from the scrape marks where I had to clean it out and had started work on trying to make it more steamworthy.

That 'flat on one side' is the problem I had with Deep Thought's block - a common plague in many Mamods and might well explain either [or both!!] the poor steaming and the tendency to prefer one direction over the other.

I prefer that the arcs be symmetrical, wide and curved as much as possible - rather like's a clown smile, for lack of a better description. Since I spent two days hacking and filing at DT's own, the steaming has come on in leaps and bounds.

But seriously WHAT the hell was with Mamod's machining?? It has got to the point where a PPS Reverser block is now a recommended upgrade alongside the trusty meths burner ad uprated SV, in my humble opinion.

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:30 am

Narrow Minded:58822 wrote:
The ports on the block are clean as whistles (literally - I just tried 'em :lol: ) so I don't understand why it's leaking so badly. I'll try a stronger spring on the replacement reverser  ;)
Its to do with the old spring now being strong enough to withstand the higher pressure from the new boiler, i had this problem and put a spare uprated spring from the cylider kit on it as well as the old spring, i dont have an issuse wih mine now! :D

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:22 am

DolwyddelanLightRail:58826 wrote:
Narrow Minded:58822 wrote:
The ports on the block are clean as whistles (literally - I just tried 'em :lol: ) so I don't understand why it's leaking so badly. I'll try a stronger spring on the replacement reverser  ;)
Its to do with the old spring now being strong enough to withstand the higher pressure from the new boiler, i had this problem and put a spare uprated spring from the cylider kit on it as well as the old spring, i dont have an issuse wih mine now! :D
Ah-ha! :D

Nice one, and an easy fix! - thanks very much for that one! ;)

Meanwhile, during the "fettle", I noticed that one of the Dream Steam "uprated Pistons" was longer than the other! :roll:
How did I know one wasn't shorter? - the long one was lifting the cylinder block on each forward stroke :?
Set about it with a cutting disc and cured that pronto, but it's one to watch out for chaps!

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:33 pm

Having just had another steam test after a few "fixes", the only place I'm losing steam now is the reverser where it's lifting under pressure even though I've fitted the extra springs :shock:

I'll try a few running in turns to see if the steam stays where it's supposed to when all the new moving parts have bedded in a bit ;)

Mr ACME

Post by Mr ACME » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:06 am

Narrow Minded:59089 wrote:Having just had another steam test after a few "fixes", the only place I'm losing steam now is the reverser where it's lifting under pressure even though I've fitted the extra springs :shock:

I'll try a few running in turns to see if the steam stays where it's supposed to when all the new moving parts have bedded in a bit ;)
Hi Greg
If you bring the reverser valve to Elesecar on Saturday, I'll have a look at it for you and see if I can offer any advice.

Best

Mike Ousby

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks Mike, I think the problem is sorted, Ta :D

In the meantime, tired of faffing with both the exhaust and reverser each time I want to remove or replace the smokebox, I took 5 minutes to cut a slot.......

Image

"Simples!" ;)

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:06 pm

I tried uprating a mamod loco some years back and encountered loads of problems and in the end I converted it to standard with a 3 wick burner.. the reversing block is a problem when it comes to leakage and it does relate to the spring. I bought uprated pistons as well and they were so stiff they would of needed a massive psi to move em!

DLRdan

Post by DLRdan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:49 pm

Greg, I can tell you more or less for certain that the valve wont be lifting due to the pressure, unless you are running it at something daft like 60 PSI. The reason most leak is because of the stiff spring.
unless the end is ground to a flat it pushes the bolt off to one sidewhich in turn lifts the valve. If you tell me what day you are going to Elsecar I will make sure both my mamods are there for you to look at.

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:45 pm

So file the spring down to a flat is that people suggest? I've had similar problems with my standard Mamod, Deep Thought.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:45 am

Following their recent appeal (I think the advert was headed "The T.I.T.S need your support!" :roll: ), Ogwen now has a regular driver!

Image

A definite bonus as she's being steamed frequently to iron out the gremlins ;)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:10 am

Play Stops Work! (Kinda)

Image

Progress on the "projects in hand" have been temporarily put on hold, because...................................
The script is finished, the characters have arrived and been painted, the props are built (mostly) and........
Filming has started for this years Halloween Movie! :D

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:18 pm

Oh lovely! now I can see the full resto' job you finished that I started :D

She looks brilliant chap, well done and hope she steams better!

where'da get the nameplates from?

Mrs F Controller

Post by Mrs F Controller » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:55 pm

"Progress on the "projects in hand" have been temporarily put on hold, because...................................
The script is finished, the characters have arrived and been painted, the props are built (mostly) and........
Filming has started for this years Halloween Movie! "

Oh, has Pits Productions got competition then on the movie front??! :lol:

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:51 pm

Oh, has Pits Productions got competition then on the movie front??!
Erm, they're not anywhere near the standard of "P.P" Mrs F ;)
(If you've watched any of 'em - they're definitely "B" Movie genre :lol: )

So no, I wouldn't class it as competition! :oops:

Pendo Pilot

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:31 am

Ohhhh another spooky movie on the cards, excellent!
Ogwens looking right good now.

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:12 pm

C'mon Greg, We want more movie previews!!!

The lines looking good and the mamod is coming together now.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:35 am

Sir haydn:59566 wrote:C'mon Greg, We want more movie previews!!!.
Your wish is my command - A second Trailer is on the "Videos" thread :D

The Mamod is, erm, "stalled" at the moment. I've removed the duff reverser complete wth it's attached lubricator (got a new lubricator from Dream Steam), but while it's sitting on the desk I've fitted tank fillers (cylinder end caps :roll: ) and drilled the smokebox and fitted a lamp bracket ;)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:44 pm

The replacement steam pipe is now fitted so I've thrown the loco back together in preparation of steam trials - here's a quick tour of some of the, er, "less than usual?" Ma-mods;

Front Lamp bracket

Image

Cylinder end-cap Tank Fillers

Image

Mike Chaney gas burner (see the filler valve right in the corner?)

Image

Gas filler "Access Mod" :shock: :roll:

Image

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:51 pm

Looks good. So there Mike Chanery burners? I'm sure I have one of them, work well?
Thanks
Jack

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:51 pm

Brilliant!

I hope the reverser isnt faulty like the last one

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests