The Westwood & Loscoe Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:26 pm

Off work and too ill to go playing trains today, so I battled on with a few end-of-month projects. :roll:

First off I've got rid of the LGB style coupling on the front of The Earl. It meant a bit of fettling of the drawbar to clear the centre buffer retaining bolt, but the jobs done!

Next was the open wagons - Down empties

Image

Up loaded

Image

The removeable loads are crushed coal PVA'd to ply which sit very conveniently on the wagons internal strapping! ;)

Image

Then there was what I thought were the finishing touches to an absolute bargain I picked up at Stoneleigh. It's had the running gear & solebars removed to re-gauge it, a repaint and DJB rub-down lettering

Image

Shame you can still see the previous colour!!! :oops: (That's the next job then! - as well as the safety chains and dry brushing the builders plate)

Image

Now, that slice of IP coach. It wasn't from the end, it was from the middle of the Atlantic Buffet.
It turns out that the two "bargains" (Buffet & Observation) that I got off eBay are in a right state so I thought "why not?"
I'm now in the process of converting it to a 4 wheeler, a little more in keeping with the regular rake!

Hello? Who's he chatting up?

Image

Ah-ha!

Image

Waitress service!

Image

That looks tasty!

Image

But but what's this pair looking at?!

Image

Oops, not what he ordered!

Image

At least it's help the day go by - I wish I even fancied opening my Easter Egg!!!!! :cry:

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Nice work greg!

Pitty about the egg :P

Get well soon mate

LMS-Jools

Post by LMS-Jools » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:28 am

Brill 8)

User avatar
Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:02 pm

is crumpet on the menu too? :lol:

The coal loads look excellent and the empty detail too.

Where do to figures come from they are sooo much better than my playmobil ones!!

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Where do to figures come from they are sooo much better than my playmobil ones!!
All over the place really (I'm a bit of a "truffle hound" when it comes to figures - I think it's a throwback to my days as a wargamer! ;) )

There's a bit of a breakdown in answer to the same question from Pendo, about 8 posts up the page.
The figures in this coach;
Waiter a repainted second hand IMP (Trenarron) figure
Lady by the bar from Jon's People (anyone else still waiting for purchases from Stoneleigh? - I'm still waiting for the leaning photographer)
3 seated passengers, all G scale repaints from past second hand purchases.
"The Crumpet" a lead casting of an American Diner waitress with the wheels cut off her rollerskates then painted.

I've got a nagging feeling that I've got far too many people and yet I'm always on the lookout for more - at least I haven't started giving them all names! :lol: (Well, not all of them, not yet anyway ;) )

User avatar
Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1708
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:45 pm
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:20 pm

Figures make it a real railway, too many figures is a great day for the company :D they add a lot to enjoyment of the scenes created keep it up.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:39 pm

Sir Clothem Cap:52661 wrote:Figures make it a real railway, too many figures is a great day for the company :D they add a lot to enjoyment of the scenes created keep it up.
Thanks for that, and I share your view. The argument that figures look "unrealistic" doesn't work for me - without them the scenes look a little too much like a ghost town. (Which is great for Halloween photo's! :lol: )
I must say too that I hate seeing loco's driving around Mary Celeste like with no sign of crew! :roll:

I'm liking your Sylvanian Station! They do a couple of useable buildings and the narrow boat looks very tempting :roll:
You also have some nice lookiing seated passengers in the blue open coaches.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Royal Wedding Day, and the buffet coach is just about finished - just needs a final "fettle" and crests now ;)

Image

Image

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:52 pm

An excellent conversion! Looks grand!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Thu May 26, 2011 9:20 pm

Oh the shame of it! Nothing posted on this thread since the end of last month :shock:


Things haven't stood still on the W&L though, first off there's been work on the "Mystery Van". Remember this photo?

Image

Having set to with the fettling stick, and a trip to the local Halfords aerosol rack, it's now ready for the paint shop as soon as there's less dampicity in the air ;)

Image

The door now opens to the left with lengths of rodding replacing the plasticard strip sliders and the steps & brake pipes are gone.
The next time you see this, it will be W&L No.4 ;)

Now then, there's been a couple of concerned PM's that the Westwood & Loscoe was transmogrifying into a W&L clone :roll: I've replied to the individuals and tried to calm their fears and for anyone else also worried here's some evidence.

I've been fortunate enough to aquire a rake of bogie coaches to make up the passenger rake;-

Image

Now, as you can plainly see, they bear absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to the prototypical Pickerings :lol:
(And the fact that they're approximately 2/3rds the length are much more in keeping with my little line! :D )

The three of them are part of a rolling programme, undergoing mods and a repaint one at a time to keep the other two "in service" during the work.
The first one (the one in worse condition), like the van, is ready for the paintshop ;)

Image

So you see, it's not the Welshpool & Llanfair! and is still 2ft 9 3/4ins :lol:

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue May 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Back from a weekend working away, I've managed to progress a little with the projects.
Van No.4 now awaiting safety chains (I'm gonna do these as a "batch" once the sheep wagon is ready)

Image

and coach No.3 is out of the spray shop and lettered!

Image

Hancockshire

Post by Hancockshire » Tue May 31, 2011 6:59 pm

Looking very good there. All is looking very smart indeed

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue May 31, 2011 7:10 pm

Now I do like the lettering on the carriage, very smart!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue May 31, 2011 7:25 pm

Very Nice Greg :D That van is excellent and the coaches look great too, and i'll second Zach on the lettering!!! :D :lol:

Pendo Pilot

Post by Pendo Pilot » Tue May 31, 2011 9:19 pm

Nice work on the stock there mate, the van has turned out superb.

Coach looks grand too, hell of a tint on those windows though... :shock:

:D

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue May 31, 2011 9:51 pm

hell of a tint on those windows though...
:lol: It's a sleeper - with the blinds down! 8) :lol:

Endless, Nameless

Post by Endless, Nameless » Tue May 31, 2011 9:56 pm

Those mini Pickerings are ace!

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Tue May 31, 2011 9:57 pm

Looking good Greg! Liking the cambrian livery

User avatar
Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:56 pm
Location: Stockton

Post by Steven.T » Tue May 31, 2011 9:57 pm

So Third Class is cheaper on the W&L because you can't see out the windows?

Ste ;)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:46 am

Outshopped Coach No.3! :D

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests